Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Equipment ?  (Read 1188 times)

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Equipment ?
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:36 am »

As I am loath to use my hard earned steel for my dwarf's Shields i was wondering if wooden shields are okay for military use and ,if not, copper is fine right?

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Equipment ?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

Wood blocks attacks just fine. Copper would be better when your soldiers bash things with their shields but it's not a big deal.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

How good is Silk Armor? I'm wanting to make a squad (or army) of rangers, and I'd like to know how many coffins to build. They'd have leather underneath, but still.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:46:52 am »

Silk and leather are fair, you can wiki the exact numbers for armor value, but it would work best to layer lots of silk.  Like, have them wear four tunics and seven cloaks, or something.  This means that something is more likely to deflect the attack.  But still not very effective.  It's ok for flying arrows or the occasional blunt weapon or low-level sword, but any significant fighting will cut through silk and leather layers.  Keep a doctor of three on hand, and keep the numbers big.  Maybe, if a hail of bolt fire hits a siege, they'll flee before getting very close.  100+ marksdwarves standing on the same 1x10 battlements will more down a lot of goblin before they even reach the gates.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:48:09 am »

so I guess toady fixed Silk being obscenely strong during my hiatus?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:47 am »

so I guess toady fixed Silk being obscenely strong during my hiatus?
Silk is still stronger that both plant fiber and wool if you mean that. Silk clothing can sometimes stop copper or silver blade.

By the way, maybe you can try making chitin armor? Raws state it is as tough as bone, and wiki says chitin can be tanned.

EDIT: upon some thought, i recall i never saw anything made from chitin in game, so it might be bugged

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:28 am »

umm i cant get my military dwarves to ,,,,military theyre in squads and everything 5 dwarf squad and set to train 3 minimum but theyre not joining the army and are just going about theyre daily lives

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:42 pm »

umm i cant get my military dwarves to ,,,,military theyre in squads and everything 5 dwarf squad and set to train 3 minimum but theyre not joining the army and are just going about theyre daily lives

You have to check whether they are on "active-training" alert in 's'quads screen and whether they are assigned barracks for training.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:05:02 pm »

they are, theyre responding to kill orders though annd they are about to get a baptism of fire

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »

A kill order is a direct command, which military will always obey.  A schedule is a passive order which happens all the time.  Also, do they actually have a barracks to train in?

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:56 pm »

yup

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

they are, theyre responding to kill orders though
Irrelevant. What is their alert level set at?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:39:22 pm »

I must apologise for my earlier jibberish.  Forgive me but I'm new to this game, what exactly is this "alert level."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

I must apologise for my earlier jibberish.  Forgive me but I'm new to this game, what exactly is this "alert level."
That's the problem then, they're set at Inactive alert level. Go to the military screen's alert section and change that to Active/Training. Make sure you've changed the squad's alert level and not the civilian alert level.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »

They're all fixed, my deepest gratitude you are all gentlemen\women and scholars