Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Barrels: did Pots make them obsolete?  (Read 3235 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrels: did Pots make them obsolete?
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:36 am »

I've just gotten back into DF after a bit of a break, and when I was looking at all of the changes from .18 to .25 a question came to my mind:
Now that we can make food-storage containers out of excavation waste-products (stone) rather than the more expensive wood and metal...is there any reason to make Barrels any more?  Why shouldn't I store everything in cheap stone pots?  Is there any hidden catch that will screw me over when I switch to an all-stone food storage system?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels: did Pots make them obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 06:02:29 am »

I think you still need Barrels for Brewing.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:33 am »

I predominantly use rock pots, with no problems there. I remember there was one catch that was very minor...shrug. No worries, go for it.

aaOzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:50 am »

I think you still need Barrels for Brewing.

You sure? I think I am using my stone pots for it. I got 4000 drinkes stored up, but far from that ammount of barrles.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

I've just gotten back into DF after a bit of a break, and when I was looking at all of the changes from .18 to .25 a question came to my mind:
Now that we can make food-storage containers out of excavation waste-products (stone) rather than the more expensive wood and metal...is there any reason to make Barrels any more?  Why shouldn't I store everything in cheap stone pots?  Is there any hidden catch that will screw me over when I switch to an all-stone food storage system?

I don't know the catch, but I brew all my booze in pots and there are no problems. I stopped making barrels long ago, but sometimes buy them from caravans. It's also easier to sell pots of booze and food to elves. Only problem is I'm not sure pots count as barrels when setting stockpile limits. Also pots are under tools within "z"-stocks, together with stone and ceramic jugs, which I don't like.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:36 am »

Barrels are useful, notably for the things that need a barrel. I think dwarven syrup making needs free barrels to be initiated, put can be done in pots alright.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:22:27 am »

Don't stone pots need to be glazed first?
If they don't, that'll change my game a lot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:24:39 am »

Only earthenware. That's why earthenware is useless.

Stone pots are an Armok-send.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:25 am »

As said above, no. Like stoneware (from fireclay) and porcelain (from kaolinite) they don't need to be glazed, and are easy to make by craftsdwarves. But yeah, they can't be used for building workshops requiring barrels.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:18:47 am »

The only drawback Iv'e seen is plant extracts cant be stored in stone pots. So its good to have barrels for them as well.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 08:05:56 am »

How heavy is an empty stone pot compared to a wooden barrel?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

foop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:38 am »

You also need barrels for building some workshops that require a barrel (a dyer's workshop, for example).

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:22:55 am »

Syrup (but sweet pods can also be milled or brewed), dyer's workshop (but dyed cloth is not necessary for survival), etc.

Personally I like the change, it opens up new possibilities for settling treeless biomes. Running out of barrels in older versions was too frustrating.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 08:27:14 am »

How heavy is an empty stone pot compared to a wooden barrel?
A wooden barrel is weight 8 and a stone pot is weight 2. The only reason ever to have barrels now is for building dyer's shops.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2