Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1193453 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3450 on: December 20, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »

My question would be, Why do they have to be unconscious? I mean if you're fighting someone one-on-one, seems likely that you'd be able to grapple them and then bite into them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:28 pm »

Actually, I imagine it'd be hard to get a good meal while the victim is still alive or resisting. After all, vampires don't so much suck blood as they scrape and lick

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: December 20, 2011, 05:39:27 pm »

Do people mind if you drink their blood? Are you automatically a civ's enemy if you do so? Do they have to figure out that it's you? If so, does this apply to other crimes yet?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: December 20, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »

Did a bunch of tweaks with undead naming in world gen, and next up I'll be extending that throughout the game, so that any interaction syndrome can provide a name like "vampire", "mummy", etc. (or whatever you want for mods).

Will this cause creatures to be referred as the syndrome provided name in Legends mode and engravings (like how King Urist is noted as being a Night Hag Spouse for his entire history) or will the Legends display the original creature type?
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: December 21, 2011, 02:26:52 am »

My question would be, Why do they have to be unconscious? I mean if you're fighting someone one-on-one, seems likely that you'd be able to grapple them and then bite into them.

Quote from: Cruxador
What happens if all of your dwarves are vampires? Do they feed off each other?

They only feed on sleeping people, and the vampires don't sleep.  So they'd have to wait for dinner to move in.  Then they'd probably go a bit piranha on it when it decides to sleep.

Quote from: Shinotsa
Can dwarfs fight back while being fed on and do vampires avoid military/strong dwarfs? I'd hate to lose my militia commander to the weird guy nobody likes. If they can fight back what skills dictate whether they'll wake up? Will it be an awareness thing, or just a struggle when they are bitten?

The victims are sleeping so nothing dramatic happens.  I originally wanted to have a wider range of feeding encounters, but we've inhabited a time-squeezed process for a while and this was less fussy.

Did a bunch of tweaks with undead naming in world gen, and next up I'll be extending that throughout the game, so that any interaction syndrome can provide a name like "vampire", "mummy", etc. (or whatever you want for mods).

Will this cause creatures to be referred as the syndrome provided name in Legends mode and engravings (like how King Urist is noted as being a Night Hag Spouse for his entire history) or will the Legends display the original creature type?

The original night creatures that do the monstrous conversion stuff haven't yet been upgraded to use the new interaction system, so that change won't affect them.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:02 am »

Is vampirism a crippling weakness for an adventurer? I will assume it is impossible to feed off people and remain friendly with their entity. I suppose since it is a divine curse it can be bad. But I fear vampirism will become yet another item in the checklist of things to avoid under any circumstances. Right there with nerve damage and the ominous curse of bad luck.

It has been asked several times already so I will not bother greening.

If it happens that a vampire feeding on a person turns their entity hostile, adventurer mode justice will have to move up in priority.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:07:18 am by rex mortis »
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3456 on: December 21, 2011, 10:55:20 am »

I thought that was the point of the new sheriff reporting tasks: vampirism would go unnoticed until it was noticed, then wouldn't necessarily be linked to a specific individual.

So one could remain friendly to the civ while drinking it dry/killing them all in their sleep.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:09 am »

Quote from: devlog
I stopped the town's citizens from giving kobolds and beasts in the dungeons dignified burials when they happened to die from old age.

I'm definitely looking forward to some old-school kobold encounters below the city.

If it happens that a vampire feeding on a person turns their entity hostile, adventurer mode justice will have to move up in priority.

It doesn't strike me as that crucial compared to the other Adv Mode improvements on the table.  Playing as a vampire is still kind of a fringe use case.

I thought that was the point of the new sheriff reporting tasks: vampirism would go unnoticed until it was noticed, then wouldn't necessarily be linked to a specific individual.

So one could remain friendly to the civ while drinking it dry/killing them all in their sleep.

And the hostility thing-... Toady said that, in fortress mode, the vamp has to be found out first. I'm guessing the same goes for adv.

I doubt that.  An Adv Mode justice revamp would have been a major undertaking in its own right, and we haven't heard about it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:31:21 pm by Footkerchief »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: December 21, 2011, 09:31:53 pm »

Yeah, Foot's right on this one- if the Justice rewrite had included Adventure Mode Justice (which doesn't really exist right now) Toady would have mentioned it. It probably would have been the work of weeks, to boot.

Besides, from what we've heard the benefits of vampirism allow the sufferers to regularly take over civilizations and start harvesting the population- at this point Adventure Mode is still pretty much just a murder simulator (albeit a quite entertaining one,) and it is indeed rather arcadey in the "take an arrow to the knee, retire" aspect of it already. If you don't feel like playing as a world-killing Vampire, then retire it and enjoy your subsequent adventurer's quest to kill the adventurer-turned-Vampire.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »

The original night creatures that do the monstrous conversion stuff haven't yet been upgraded to use the new interaction system, so that change won't affect them.

Um... actually I was asking the opposite. I was asking if the new way will work like the monstrous conversion does now, not if this new thing will change/fix the way monstrous conversion does it. Cuz, I actually figured that the monstrous conversion naming stuff will get fixed when the multiple alias/identity/nickname is put into full swing.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: December 21, 2011, 10:15:42 pm »

Man, my reading comprehension hasn't been that great recently.  Yeah, I don't have an answer for that.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: December 22, 2011, 03:53:37 am »

Toady, thanks for detailed devlog!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:21 pm »

Lutefisk sounds awful. 

Why is it not in dwarf fortress?
where is up?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

Lutefisk sounds awful. 

No one vouched for it during the animal drive.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: December 22, 2011, 07:56:46 pm »

Lutefisk sounds awful. 

Theres most likely a way to mod it in as fish cheese....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 298