Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1195164 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3120 on: November 30, 2011, 06:18:42 am »

The new town maps are looking increasingly better, but I still dislike them for one thing: the circularity. Each settlement is a perfectly circular web of roads. And no matter the size of the village/town/city, they all take up the same space. It gets repetitive and boring very soon. Unfortunately, it looks that it's such a fundamental part of Toady's design that it's impossible to change. I suppose the circular web is the very building block of the new towns that can't be replaced.

Also I really hate all the random roads - there's way too many of them in the village parts of the map. But I've already rambled a lot about it here so I won't repeat myself.
(EDIT: But looking at the older town pictures it seems Toady has reduces the number of roads a bit, so there's that.)

Oh and I miss the old villages. Those were great!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:21:19 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:20 am »

:lol: Pigs were intelligent meat for a while there, selling themselves! :)
Just like in the Restaurant at the end of the Universe.

edit: or that is just bigotry: calling traders pigs. J/K (obviously)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:34 am »

Hey, look, houses have furniture now.  Anyone know what that symbol that looks like pi means (it means goblin tower on the world map).  Also, the people of that town seem to have designated large areas of their houses as "table rooms" that do absolutely nothing but contain tables.  Are the table rooms intended behavior?
Those are the empty shops Toady has mentioned in the dev log post. You should see a ß or a µ next to the doors leading to those houses. The warehouses are large buildings that we haven't quite seen yet (in the most recent town, it's outside the embark area - the dark gray building a bit up from the upper right corner of the rectangle marking the embark area.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:36 am »

The new town maps are looking increasingly better, but I still dislike them for one thing: the circularity. Each settlement is a perfectly circular web of roads. And no matter the size of the village/town/city, they all take up the same space. It gets repetitive and boring very soon. Unfortunately, it looks that it's such a fundamental part of Toady's design that it's impossible to change. I suppose the circular web is the very building block of the new towns that can't be replaced.

Also I really hate all the random roads - there's way too many of them in the village parts of the map. But I've already rambled a lot about it here so I won't repeat myself.
(EDIT: But looking at the older town pictures it seems Toady has reduces the number of roads a bit, so there's that.)

Oh and I miss the old villages. Those were great!

Most of what you think as roads in the pictures aren't roads, they are there just to divide the fields. It is obvious though that the same process to decide where the building will be constructed is used to divide the fields, but the end result  is very good.

And though a very big city would end up circular, most of them are very varied. This one is very linear, this one is almost a square.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:46 pm »

Will fortresses that are set up in cold and freezing biomes ever be required to have heating of some kind so that the dwarfs don't freeze to death? Or even more generally, so that in any biome the dwarfs could heat the fortress, say in a moderate biome but during the winter, so that they could be comfortable? They conquer their environment in about every other way than temperature regulation.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3125 on: November 30, 2011, 06:34:48 pm »

Will fortresses that are set up in cold and freezing biomes ever be required to have heating of some kind so that the dwarfs don't freeze to death? Or even more generally, so that in any biome the dwarfs could heat the fortress, say in a moderate biome but during the winter, so that they could be comfortable? They conquer their environment in about every other way than temperature regulation.

Cave temperature explains this away pretty easily unless you like to make people sleep on the surface... caves around the world are all the same once you get a fair bit underground
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Weaselcake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 30, 2011, 09:54:06 pm »

Assuming that the patch is closing in on the release date, what are the immediate development plans after the post-patch celebration? Is the Caravan arc going to still be the primary focus in development, will there be other planned features from the Development Page which might have an unexpected priority jump? I know these are broad questions, but I'm just wondering what what Toady has in mind, even if it's just a tiny speck of a planned idea for the next update.

This would be easier for me to understand if the 'Dwarf Fortress Development' webpage wasn't so... minimal? It's difficult to tell what's going on on it. Caravan Uptades 1+ come after this patch or what? Is this next update Caravan Update 0?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:55:44 pm by Weaselcake »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: November 30, 2011, 10:32:38 pm »

This would be easier for me to understand if the 'Dwarf Fortress Development' webpage wasn't so... minimal? It's difficult to tell what's going on on it. Caravan Uptades 1+ come after this patch or what? Is this next update Caravan Update 0?

This next release (release, not patch) is Release 1 of the Caravan Arc, an arc which is expected to take anywhere from three to ten years to complete. After the next coming release will be a series of bugfixing releases, first focusing on newly introduced bugs, then focusing on older, preexisting bugs. That'll probably take a good month or two. After that is Release 2, which is Villager Schedules/Activities (so random peasants do crap in town when you visit in adventure mode) and 3D mineral veins and mine maps (to make mineral distribution more realistic, and presumably make mining a thing that happens in worldgen.) As you may have noticed, this release schedule is prone to unplanned tangents, which are just that- unplanned. Toady has mentioned (in the last DF Talk, or Talk before last) that the Personality Rewrite currently slated for Release 8 could very well move up to Release 5 or earlier.

Below the list of Release content on that devpage, you'll see a list of other short-term goals to be added in no particular order, wherever they fit or whenever Toady feels like working on them as a change of pace. Basically, this is the stuff that'll flesh out the broader goals outlined in the Release section. Most of the recent tangent falls under "Slayer of Night Creatures," with a bit of "Treasure Hunter" thrown in.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: November 30, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »

Someone already brought this up, but not all the roads are actually roads so much as they are borders separating the different plots of land.

Toady has also mentioned that he thinks the towns are too similar, but seems to be more focused on getting the framework working. He mentioned that eventually they will be other town types, but the reason these ones are circular is because they are based on Manors. The keyword Toady uses is framework, which means he's designing something that can deal with more than one way of doing things, so the spiral web shaped towns is not necessarily the only thing it is capable of. I assume it is just what Toady is using to test the framework.

The maps are also too similar to each other, without branching out into different styles of dividing up land, etc., and they don't really respect their own history or the elevation. The rivers still have exclusion zones (the blocky part). Later there will have to be river-oriented industries/etc. with associated stuffs. The main roads are also a bit ignored by people that should appreciate them. I suppose inns will help that. Overall, we aren't there yet, but these layouts here are likely to unchange for this release (aside from the village cleanup stuff, which'll be farmy and animalish), and I think this framework can accomodate future town updates for a while.

Ideally, towns will someday be able to have more variance, but until the framework is considered done it is probably best that it sticks with a simple pattern to start with (adding additional patterns can be rather easy (comparatively) with the proper foresight and design). It could be possible that one framework can handle the towns of all the civilizations through the use of proper design. Even then, the town framework probably wouldn't be complete until modders can define town creation patterns of their own (which is likely to be a loooong way off).

And even if the current framework is only capable of a circular pattern it will pave the way for a more robust framework in the future. Sometimes in programing, you have to program something that is good enough so you can see how it works. Then go back and program again once you know what you are doing. It is kind of like writing multiple drafts for a paper. You write the rough draft to get an idea of what you want to do. The rough draft can be used to see where the paper needs improvement as well as showing if more research on the topic needs to be done.

Even after this update towns are still going to get updates in the (relatively speaking) near future. Even after that other civs sites will get worked on during the Army Arc.

Er... that was a bit long wasn't it... TL;DR: Yes, Toady thinks the towns are to similar too, but currently it is good enough to expand upon, test out, and learn from.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:24 am »

Most of what you think as roads in the pictures aren't roads, they are there just to divide the fields. It is obvious though that the same process to decide where the building will be constructed is used to divide the fields, but the end result  is very good.

I'm pretty sure they are all roads. I guess you could say "nah, they're hedges" on maps like this one, but when you look at, say, this town it's apparent those lines need to be roads so the farms can get to their homes. But so far we've only seen town maps. I'd love to see a proper village.

Toady, could we see a map of a village? I don't know if there's any strong distinction between towns and villages now, so take "village" as a settlement of ~100 people with no market.

And what happened to the old village maps we've had a couple of versions ago? I suppose the code was scrapped?

Thanks.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 01, 2011, 10:20:35 am »

Better example picture would be this one, where they are clearly small dirt roads.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: December 01, 2011, 11:37:34 am »

I really enjoyed the monthly report containing the actual numbers of issues left to work out. Any chance of that happening more often in the devlog?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 01, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »

He used to keep track of the number of stuff to do throughout most of the development cycle for a major release. I think he stopped doing that a short way into 31.01 (the "DF2010" release that started development in late '08) in favor of the giant-ass list of more general things because that was more motivating for him than the numbers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:46:15 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 02, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

I forgot how much towns smell...

Then I smelled pig town

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile