Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Shashmomuz: Where Dwarfs Are Not Expendable (Succession)  (Read 7658 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shashmomuz: Where Dwarfs Are Not Expendable (Succession)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 04:09:20 pm »

I think I've got an idea on how to reduce the number of unfortunate accidents that we need to stage.  We can have the fortress grow in spurts based on the number of people signing up.

Example: We start with seven dwarfs.  For six years we have the population cap set at one.  Say that by year seven five players have signed up to take a turn.  The player raises the population cap and receives a migrant wave.  They reset the population cap, choose five of these dwarfs and cause the rest to have unfortunate accidents.

Also, I'm starting the game tomorrow.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:54 pm »

I recently tried to play a Hermit game, but no matter what I set the population cap to, they kept coming.  Does it only matter what it is set to at embark?
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:12:37 am »

I recently tried to play a Hermit game, but no matter what I set the population cap to, they kept coming.  Does it only matter what it is set to at embark?

Um, yes? The cap doesn't affect migrant waves that are already en route, so you may have several seasons worth of migrants before they stop coming, if you don't set the cap before embarking/loading.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:50 am »

Also, one of the first projects could be an unfortunate accident roomswimming pool.

And, I would like a go. Slot 7, if it is still available.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:18:08 am by wlerin »
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 07:22:02 am »

Thanks for bringing this up.  I looked it up and found this:

1) The first two migrant waves after you embark are hard coded.

2) The population cap only takes effect after a game restart.

3) Once you reach the pop cap, the mountainhomes will stop sending migrants.  But migrants take time to be dispatched and arrive, and this time can be measured in seasons.  So depending on how far away you are from the mountainhomes, it's possible to keep getting migration waves, even though you're past the cap.

(The dispatching is a bit abstract at the moment, because migrants get created out of thin air instead of from the existing dwarven population.  But is is definitely possible to get 1 or 2 more migration waves after hitting the population cap.)

I just ran a test fort for two years with the population cap at 1.  I received two waves in the first year and none in the second, so this explanation seems to fit all of the anecdotes about population cap.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:37 am »

Thanks for bringing this up.  I looked it up and found this:

1) The first two migrant waves after you embark are hard coded.

2) The population cap only takes effect after a game restart.

3) Once you reach the pop cap, the mountainhomes will stop sending migrants.  But migrants take time to be dispatched and arrive, and this time can be measured in seasons.  So depending on how far away you are from the mountainhomes, it's possible to keep getting migration waves, even though you're past the cap.

(The dispatching is a bit abstract at the moment, because migrants get created out of thin air instead of from the existing dwarven population.  But is is definitely possible to get 1 or 2 more migration waves after hitting the population cap.)

I just ran a test fort for two years with the population cap at 1.  I received two waves in the first year and none in the second, so this explanation seems to fit all of the anecdotes about population cap.

So that means since you'll be going first, you'll deal with the migrants right?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 07:26:35 pm »

Site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a savage mountain next to a savage tropical grassland, so if we're lucky we'll see giant eagles and lions.  (This may not be bad; I've fixed the Dungeon Master issues by switching all of the [PET_EXOTIC] tags to [PET], so we could end up with some pretty neat war animals)

A letter from 'Microcline' Keskalinod, 1 Hematite 251

I am beginning to change my mind about this outpost.  The minute we arrived at the site, we were attacked by a honey badger and scattered before it was killed by a stray dog.  None of use seemed capable of maintaining an outpost.  There's Edosurist, the woodworker, melkor, a miner and a mason, wlerin the smith, ext0l, the mechanic and doctor for the outpost, Selenite, the only dwarf with any combat ability, and myself, the mid-level member of the miner's guild sent out to oversee the construction.

Despite that, it's starting to feel like a real dwarven outpost.  wlerin was able to fabricate a bronze ax and armor for Selenite (the mountainhome did not give us a budget sufficient to take one with us), we've set up a patrol route around the outpost and designed our fortifications in such that the only way in is to walk through the barracks.  We're currently upgrading our dining hall, and it will likely be legendary by the end of the summer.  It'll  help remind the party of home, and might take their mind off of the fact that the farm has been slow in replenishing supply of food and drink

Main Floor

Above Ground

Report on Exploratory Mining by The Subtle Mechanisms at Shashmomuz, 1 Limestone 251

Preliminary estimates by the miner's guild stated that the site of Shashomomuz contained deposits of surface metal and deep metals.  However, all we've found is galena.  The area is saturated with it.  While we don't have the dwarfpower necessary to sustain a full metal industry at the moment, once we get the magma forges operational we should be rolling in silver.  The mining also uncovered the underground sea and magma sea, so that point, while unlikely to occur this year, is not far off.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:43:30 pm by Microcline »

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 07:51:31 pm »

Yum...Hot, Sparse, Moderate, and Untamed Wilds. Expect war animals!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 12:04:03 am »

Hot and sparse? Population control? Attacked by a honey badger immediately upon arrival?  This matches my game a little too closely for comfort!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 12:11:53 am »

Final report of 'Microcline' Keskalinod

Changes at the fort have been small.  We've tamed a herd of gazelles and continued work on expanding the fortress.  A giant eagle was sighted in the north, so we finished building the roof of our entrance.

Note: Keskalinod was removed from command when the liaison found the tombs of the migrant waves.  We haven't ascertained a motive, but the fact that his bedroom and dining room were carved from veins of galena may shed some light on the question.  He was originally sentenced to death by hammering, but managed to weasel out of it by exploiting an old law about killing soapmakers.  Instead he has been sentenced to life in exile at Shashmomuz.

The fortress as of spring 252

The lever room next to the dining room contains three bridge controls.  One controls the front bridge (labeled S Bridge), one controls the caravan bridge, and one controls the exploratory mining bridge (i.e. if something gets into the tunnels, pull this switch to raise the bridge and keep it out of the fort)

The levers in the room on the far right do nothing.  They are a way of luring in dwarfs for unfortunate accidents (locking the door after them).  It's probably the least elegant solution to the problem.

The fort is still missing a lot of features.  It lacks a hospital, plant processing, and a livestock and metal industry.

I asked the liaison to bring every metal except lead and silver.

Summary of the dwarfs

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 12:41:01 am »

Awesome, Downloaded and started. Mind if I use a graphics pack during my turn?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:12:38 am by Selenite »

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:05 am »

Awesome, Downloaded and started. Mind if I use a graphics pack during my turn?
No problem

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 03:20:52 am »

2nd Granite Early Spring

1st Hematite Early Summer

End Year

Fort Status

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4374
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:09:03 am by Selenite »

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »

Extol's log, Granite 1

I'll try to finish my turn by Monday.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:37 am »

melkor's log
do i have to do everything here. shees i am minning then i am a mason,
and then i have to operate a furnace. really i have never even seen one of those things how the hell am i going to opparete them. and of course i have to fortify everything, so when something goes wrong i will get al the blame.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6