Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397192 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.20b *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]
« Reply #3315 on: August 12, 2013, 02:06:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30:23 am »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 14, 2013, 12:48:26 am »

So...
I was intrigued by the problem, and to really see what the cause was, I save-scummed before the incident. However, this time, a dwarf started getting interrupted by a different dwarf, not my marksdwarf. The first time the clothier was interrupted by the marksdwarf, resulting in the rampage I described in an earlier post. This time the armorer was interrupted by the cook, and after the armorer punched the cook in self defense, the cook and the armorer became enemies of my civ and started trying to kill everybody. This occurred immediately after a nephal caravan arrived, though the caravan did not have bring a watcher. So... I save-scummed and tried again. This time, a mechanic was interrupted by a metal-smith, and the same cascade occurred, although with different instigators. What the heck is happening!

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:00 am »

How about what Jilladilla said?  Which I support.

If you don't mind being spoiled, open that there spoiler and consider how that could explain what you observed across multiple savescums.  If you do mind being spoiled.... keep entertaining us with your experiences, most of us love to hear them!  But I fear we have no non-spoiler answers.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 14, 2013, 04:15:37 am »

It is the midsummer of the 8th year since the founding of Plainschannel, and the overseer is playing clue... with the dwarfs.

Coincidentally, two plagues are simultaneously sweeping the fortress. One causes severe and extended vomiting, while the other causes rot and slow, painful death. Ironically, the progression of the plagues is the perfect excuse for isolating dwarfs to narrow down the culprit list. Infected dwarfs are quarantined in their rooms, and eliminated from the suspect list on the event of an attack. As a precaution, the meeting hall has been flooded with slimers and jackalopes to act as a buffer to prevent violence between dwarfs and thus the loyalty cascade that follows. Upon the event of an attack on a pet or fellow dwarf, the attacker is eliminated from the suspect list.

Summer rolls by. The source of the rotting plague has been discovered. It seems that a nephal merchant arrived with the disease, transferring it to hapless dwarfs as they loaded the trade depot with golden crafts and riches.

In the first month of autumn, and only three suspects remain: Atir the carpenter, Sakzul the planter, and Fikod the mason. The break comes as Olon the metal-smith suddenly strikes a slimer. Sakzul, the only other dwarf in the room, does not flee and thus confirms his guilt as the long-sought traitor. Immediate isolation of Sakzul ended the attacks immediately. Thus one problem is solved, while another is posed: What to do with Sakzul?"

Lessons and facts learned:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:21:28 am by lukstra »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:03 am »

I absolutely love your story.

I have many LFR experiences, but none have taken me along the branch you have walked.  I have kept watcher after watcher in game after game scanning dwarf after dwarf, but never, ever have I been blessed with a traitor spotted... or any symptoms of one which somehow was not seen.

Also, merchant after merchant, and all sorts of invaders, none have brought to my fortresses any illnesses by being already sick themselves.

Huzzah to the promise, forever testing true:

-What you encounter in one fortress will not be the same as what you encounter next time!

LFR also include a manual, guides, and resources to help you navigate the brave new world you're entering.  This is just a taste of the included features.  If you want to learn more, you'll have to learn it yourself.  LFR is there to be discovered, not revealed. 
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:03:08 pm by lukstra »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 14, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »

I'm actually a little bit astounded that they actually worked.  Shh, don't tell.  xD

After a total fiasco involving my ISP, I should finally be able to get some concept art online later tonight.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:27:45 pm by narhiril »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 14, 2013, 05:14:27 pm »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: August 14, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »

I've had traitors in one of my fortresses, too.  It was pretty confusing, because suddenly some dwarves were fighting each other and I had no idea why.

At one point I did see one dwarf with the "(EXPOSED)" tag. I was able to search for that in the manual and reverse engineer some of what had happened.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: August 16, 2013, 04:33:43 pm »

I know I've promised concept art, but I don't have access to a scanner right now, so in the meantime, here's a teaser for the next version.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 16, 2013, 08:10:48 pm »

I know I've promised concept art, but I don't have access to a scanner right now, so in the meantime, here's a teaser for the next version.

Idea- Humans have swiss pikemen. Those guys were TOUGH. Nice way to make a unique weapon though. Also, maybe humans had a tech advantage long ago, and they are the vanguard? Like halo? Just a thought.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3327 on: August 17, 2013, 09:46:52 am »

Nice, I am just working on the very same thing. My Warlocks come with cursed armor that drives dwarves mad after a while if they wear it, and the temple has to cleanse this corrupted material first.

Have you considered classics, like "gauntlets of ogre strength", "seven mile boots" and "invisibility cloaks" and all that? :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 21, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »

Nice, I am just working on the very same thing. My Warlocks come with cursed armor that drives dwarves mad after a while if they wear it, and the temple has to cleanse this corrupted material first.

Have you considered classics, like "gauntlets of ogre strength", "seven mile boots" and "invisibility cloaks" and all that? :)

I think boots of speed and "power bracelets" will probably make it into this first iteration.  ;)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »

If you're using itemsyndrome for that, note that I can't think of a way that you could do that without having it so that any dwarf who puts on the cursed armor at any point for any amount of time will go insane.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 240