Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you most like to see next from LFR?

More tech tree!
- 36 (26.1%)
More ritual tree!
- 8 (5.8%)
More lore!
- 12 (8.7%)
More mythical weapons/armor!
- 22 (15.9%)
Plagues!
- 28 (20.3%)
More secrets!
- 21 (15.2%)
More mechanical constructs!
- 11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 240

Author Topic: *=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms (LFR 2012) v0.21a *=*=* [DF 0.34.11]  (Read 397387 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *=*=*=* Legends of Forlorn Realms - an expansion mod *=*=*=* v0.13b
« Reply #300 on: July 01, 2011, 10:15:49 pm »

I had the good fortune to embark with a Bowyer Prodigy who is also a weaponsmith.  :D

Sadly, bowyers are bowyers and weaponsmiths are weaponsmiths. Actually, savants are not hard to get. I have no less than three armor prodigies arrive in my 150 dwarf fortress, two of which are actually hauling stuff and waiting for the one working as an armorer to die.

I'm finally getting voidwalkers to attack me. After all the preparations and fortifications, it turns out my two man squad of swordmasters (in masterwork adamantine) manhandled the squad of voidwalker lashers that ambushed them at the main gate. Their stones of banishment goes straight to lining the sides of the memorial hall. (13 blocks of it and counting)

What's your mod going to be about, thatkid?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:18:47 pm by Pan »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 01, 2011, 10:25:46 pm »

Right now it's mostly just whatever I feel like putting in.
I've been really inspired by celtic mythology lately though, and I've been playing a lot of adventure mode as well, so the past few days I've been making a Tuatha De Dannan race, some seelie and unseelie fae, and magical instruments that can only be made and played (using rare ingredients) as an adventurer (right now you can only use a flute). The instruments I likely won't do much with till the next DF version because there are only so many syndromes. I think that I'm probably going to follow that path for a while though, so for at least the first few complete releases it's basically going to be a mod that's heavily influenced by ancient pagan/celtic myths. Once I'm satisfied with that, I'll likely move on to other mythologies or something.

And I've noticed that savants are fairly frequent as well. In one of my current forts I have around 4 weapon savants. Sadly, the only armor savant died in a cave-in while I was digging out the dining-hall basilica-thing.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 02, 2011, 12:50:47 am »

I just thought I'd draft some migrants to use bows, just to use up all the arrows left over from enemy bowmen, and for the variety. The elven caravan bought some great bows, and I'm wondering if those are any good?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #303 on: July 02, 2011, 03:18:23 am »

Are the nephlim supposed to have weapons in adventure mode? Because all I can find are wrestlers and they really are no match for my rapier.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:01 am »

Are the nephlim supposed to have weapons in adventure mode? Because all I can find are wrestlers and they really are no match for my rapier.

I think narhiril probably followed the example of the vanilla raws to make his civs, so I personally find it unlikely it's the mod's fault. In fortress mode, they show up with their weapons just fine. Maybe your just unlucky? I'll go and gen a world and test this out. Although... how do you get into a nephilim settlement as fast as you can? Not very experienced with adventurer mode.

I gotta say how much I love stones of banishment. Firstly, it adds some colour to my all white (and gray) fortress. Secondly, lining the big memorial hall with pillars literally made with the remains of your enemy really gives me a smile.

Today while fighting the voidwalkers (first siege! But all they did was retire my now single armed axedwarf recruit), I noticed that they no longer emit a wail on death. I remember how I had turned off the temperature to save FPS. Could this be the problem?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 08:48:46 am by Pan »

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 02, 2011, 12:25:26 pm »

I think narhiril probably followed the example of the vanilla raws to make his civs, so I personally find it unlikely it's the mod's fault. In fortress mode, they show up with their weapons just fine. Maybe your just unlucky? I'll go and gen a world and test this out. Although... how do you get into a nephilim settlement as fast as you can? Not very experienced with adventurer mode.

I gotta say how much I love stones of banishment. Firstly, it adds some colour to my all white (and gray) fortress. Secondly, lining the big memorial hall with pillars literally made with the remains of your enemy really gives me a smile.

Today while fighting the voidwalkers (first siege! But all they did was retire my now single armed axedwarf recruit), I noticed that they no longer emit a wail on death. I remember how I had turned off the temperature to save FPS. Could this be the problem?

Masterwork adamantine will cut through just about anything without trouble, voidshard included.

You'll likely be disappointed by the answer to your question.  Temperature needs to be on for a fair number of the mod's features to work.  Without temperature, voidwalkers won't do death cries, alchemy reactions will produce weird (and by "weird" I mean unintentional and non-functional) byproducts, and a fair number of creatures will be rendered nearly harmless.  The fact that you're seeing stones of banishment at all told me that something was wrong - they're an internal name for voidwalker death wails.  I couldn't even tell you what color they are off the top of my head because I never intended them to be used for anything other than instantly vaporizing upon being called into existence (this is how death wails work).  If you want a colorful stone, however, I can try to arrange something to that effect.

Turning temperature off can help FPS, but I find that it wrecks most of the game's best features.  Even in vanilla, you can't cause magma or fire-themed death traps, and dragons will breathe clouds of Febreeze at you.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:55:47 pm by narhiril »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »

So in other words, Pan's dining hall is lined with the unearthly dying curses of a planeswalking race. Only in Dwarf Fortress...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »

So in other words, Pan's dining hall is lined with the unearthly dying curses of a planeswalking race. Only in Dwarf Fortress...

That pretty much sums it up.  Not an intended feature in this case, but that's not to say that similar themes and elements aren't coming down the road.

I am a grappling with how far I want the ritual tech tree to go before the next version.  I would rather not have to later back-adjust existing reactions to add in new consequences, so I've drawn up a rough schematic of what I want to do for tier one and part of tier two.  What I am debating right now is whether or not to make separate altars for different spheres, or merge them all into one generic "altar" and let the reactions govern which sphere is being tampered with.  The former opens up some opportunity for future additions to the first tier, but the second significantly cuts down on the number of buildings.  Seeing as DF does not support subcategories for the workshop menu, I'm concerned that adding a bunch of altars will result in a lengthy workshop selection, especially as more workshops work their way into things.  Thoughts and suggestions regarding this are welcome, as always.

The previously unused products of documentation are going to have uses introduced.  The "expanded theory on celestial mechanics" will be used in the construction of the orrery, which is a bulky workshop that will train the teacher and observer skills.  The "carved treatise on the effects of gasoline on fire," originally intended to be little more than a Homestarrunner joke, will be used for a tie-in to the second tier of the ritual tech tree.

The first tier of the ritual tree will be entirely functional in this version.  The second tier will have a number of buildings available for construction, but these buildings will only be partially functional.  Right now, they only contain reactions to get rid of excess building materials for some modest rewards (there is one exception, but I am not finished with it yet).  These buildings will have more interesting functions introduced with the next release of DF in the form of numerous new reactions.

It's been a productive day, methinks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »

It's because Nephilim infighting is best handled by wrestling. Fly up, wait for enemy nephal, throw, they slam into an obstacle, give in to pain, bite throat, shake, repeat.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2011, 07:18:26 pm »

If you want a colorful stone, however, I can try to arrange something to that effect.

I really only put pillars of that stone for the whole 'I killed you, muthafucka, and your remains are now a trophy I show off to friends' thing. I never really cared about the colors of stones. Except microcline. It's annoying when my dining rooms are half blue, half gray. Very un-uniform.

Still, I'll be turning to temperature on again. Will the pillars immediately (and the stones on the battlefield from the last siege) turn into a cloud of death wails?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »

If you want a colorful stone, however, I can try to arrange something to that effect.

I really only put pillars of that stone for the whole 'I killed you, muthafucka, and your remains are now a trophy I show off to friends' thing. I never really cared about the colors of stones. Except microcline. It's annoying when my dining rooms are half blue, half gray. Very un-uniform.

Still, I'll be turning to temperature on again. Will the pillars immediately (and the stones on the battlefield from the last siege) turn into a cloud of death wails?
I'm pretty sure they will.
That should be a fun little dinner for your dwarves.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2011, 12:12:15 am »

Temp goes on, FPS goes down to 19. Screw it. I'll just turn it on during voidwalker attacks.

Pro tip, kids. Hamerhead javelins are crap (made of silver, supposedly one of the few good materials for blunts. Use broadheads. They severe limbs and actually kill things.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:09:47 am by Pan »

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »

Um...I think a found something you may want to fix. When A Nephilim Caravan comes, and an animal gets too near, all of the Nephals fly up into the sky and attack, leaving their animals to wander around. I may have killed those animals to get the goods.....and maybe gave a few of the Nephal's goods back to them to get on their good side....

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »

If your pillars are constructions, they won't vanish. If they are supports on the other hand, I pity any dwarf in the vicinity.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »

Um...I think a found something you may want to fix. When A Nephilim Caravan comes, and an animal gets too near, all of the Nephals fly up into the sky and attack, leaving their animals to wander around. I may have killed those animals to get the goods.....and maybe gave a few of the Nephal's goods back to them to get on their good side....

This is a known problem with flying civilizations that has come up in a number of mods.  Short of a radical overhaul of vanilla pack animals (and even this is untested), there's nothing that can be done about it at the moment.  This is a problem that I am hoping Toady will address later in the caravan arc.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 240