Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 178988 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2016, 11:05:45 pm »

ptw

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:05 pm »

But it takes every single drop of patience you have in your soul, and it's not worth it.

Funny how tastes differ, isn't it? I've played nearly 200 hours of Kenshi already, even in alpha (and normally, I don't play alpha games at all). I was just blown away by this game when I first discovered it.

The new map looks great, although, no, it hasn't been released yet. But I'd have a hard time complaining, even as it is. Indeed, the existing map is beautiful. When the new map is released, it will be like getting a whole new game.

Of course, as I say, tastes differ.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2016, 08:35:04 pm »

I tried playing it several times and it always ends up the same way.

I try trading so i buy a load of something cheap.
I go somewhere else to sell the goods.
I get mugged because my character fights only slightly better than a training dummy.
I'm a bit better at defense.
I get mugged again because i'm not good enough... and i still have an attack of 1 because my character dies too fast to even attack.
Repeated muggings happen and i'm finally good enough at parrying to start training attack.
Bandits mug me again and this time i'm bleeding out.
Game over.

And another try i had less than a week ago ended even faster.
I bought trade goods and went to another town.
I enter the shop and the shopkeeper greets me with the words "Hey that's mine!"
Police storms in and mugs me USA style.
One officer stays on top of my body and beats me back down every time i wake up.
I checked my inventory and i'm sure as hell not carrying anything stolen.

10/10

Honestly tho i have no idea what to do in this game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:44:01 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »

Eh, the beginning phase of the game is pretty much you having to take many hardknockings before you get anywhere near survivable.
What you can do early on is find a town/building with training dummies, usually inside the really big buildings.  If I remember correctly, you can get to level 5 attack with that?  Otherwise, try to get yourself beat up near towns.

Trading is not recommended at the start of the game, even if you start with a full party.  Cause its a full party of noobs and one old guy who will still get beaten by +5 hobos.

Starting with 1 guy is not recommended for new players, its basically the hardcore mode, since bleeding is death if you are alone.  ... You might get 'lucky' and get picked up by a slaver.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:38 pm »

I don't know how much thing shave changed, but usually I either A) go outside the starting town and see if soldiers are fighting starving bandits. B) find wandering bandits and lure them to the nearest town or travelling merchants. Your goal is to join an uneven fight in your favor so you can hopefully get a swing or two in, then turn on defense mode or run outside the battle when things get hairy. Loot the corpses afterwards and sell the loot for money, then use that money to hire someone cheap from the tavern. Once you are a band of two things will go a bit more smoothly, as you aren't screwed if you start bleeding out.

Now that I think about it, they changed the way you start didn't they? The above should still work in theory, but I think the default starting option gives you 1 or 2 other guys.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »

I dunno. I managed to kill about twenty starving bandits with the starting guys. Admittedly, I set everyone but the old soldier to block to seriously buff up their defense and just let him beat the shit out of them all.

Best way to get cash at start seems to be luring groups of bandits back to the town and letting the guards kill them while you help. Loot them afterwards and you get a fair bit of cash. Or finding a trading caravan and following after it. They'll either kill most things that attack em, or get killed themselves and you can loot their items instead!

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2016, 03:47:50 am »

the people having trouble are probably picking the hard starts: you really dont need to start as a lone survivor or whatever on your first save

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 16, 2016, 05:21:39 am »

I hope they flesh out the settlement part. I think it has potential, it would just be nice if we could eventually attract civilians to our colonies as well etc to work. Plus get traders to visit and so forth, maybe start our own faction and conquer the world.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2016, 10:47:46 am »

I never found the game all that difficult. You just don't play it solo, you gather a party asap. I always end up with a group of heavily armored badasses with a little base before long then stop playing because there isn't much else to do yet.

But the lack of content is steadily improving. When the huge map is released and base building is fully fleshed out it should be a lot of fun.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 18, 2016, 12:29:57 pm »

But it takes every single drop of patience you have in your soul, and it's not worth it.

Funny how tastes differ, isn't it? I've played nearly 200 hours of Kenshi already, even in alpha (and normally, I don't play alpha games at all). I was just blown away by this game when I first discovered it.

The new map looks great, although, no, it hasn't been released yet. But I'd have a hard time complaining, even as it is. Indeed, the existing map is beautiful. When the new map is released, it will be like getting a whole new game.

Of course, as I say, tastes differ.

It depends how how you interpreted what I said. The game can be really fun, since it's a sandbox and there's many ways to play (or to die horribly).
What annoys me is the "one step forward five steps back" approach. I think the only time I had a clean run without bizarre bugs was on the first versions (in which only the pathfinding was silly).
I'm looking forward to check out the next major update..I'm just hoping it fixes more than breaks stuff.
The concept on the game, however, fits perfectly on my favorite type of games. Games which have RPG, Empire Building, Strategy and/or Tactical elements (XCOM, X series, Space Rangers, Starsector, Unending Galaxy, etc).

Regarding the difficulty, it seems like hunger will be added. I usually go with the "crappy loner" starts (which basically means "I'll act like a vulture around towns until I can hire a meatshield medic"), but I guess those will be way harder when you have to spend time/money to remain alive.
If NPCs start consuming resources and the economy become more dynamic..now that's something I would love to see.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2016, 06:05:16 am »

How much is this game?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2016, 06:36:53 am »

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2016, 05:57:42 am »

Damn I wish I could buy this game so badly lol.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 30, 2016, 07:09:53 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 30, 2016, 07:15:15 pm »

get hype
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 68