Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 1788 times)

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few questions
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:29:53 am »

1. Herbivores tend to die from starvation in my fortress. In cages, in animal stockpile and tamed ones too. Puppies and kittens are ok. WTF?

2. How to remove clothes from floor? I've marked them for dump but no-dworf care about it.

3. I know that /test object name here/ -> {Urist McDwarf's left alpaca wool sock} will degrade over time and eventually annihilate. Should I replace it to avoid naked dwarf fortress? Can I replace it?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:37:28 am »

1) Cats and Dogs are carnivores, so they don't eat grass. Meat-eating isn't in the game, so they just don't eat.

2) {This} means it is forbidden.

3) Dwarves will never put on clothes. Naked dwarf fortress is imminent.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:40:27 am »

you have to pasture the Herbivores, or they'll die.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 10:44:35 am »

Thanks.

I've claimed clothes on the floor, mark them for dump, and still nothing.

About pastures: They should be place on grass, yes? Then no imported elefants on glaciers, no cheese on deserts and so on?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:45:47 am »

Thanks.

About pastures: They should be place on grass, yes? Then no imported elefants on glaciers, no cheese on deserts and so on?
Correct.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:52:07 am »

Thanks.

Correct.

They'll also eat cave moss. So cavern pastures are doable.

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 11:02:07 am »

Yeah, wiki says that they can also feast upon Wormy tendrils and Staring eyeballs. This-is-disturbing.

EDIT:

When I looK on furniture in stockpile (ie.: golden statue) I can see the description, but when statue is placed by build menu i'm unable to see the description. Is there any way to see description again?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:08:03 am by Qwicol »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 11:05:00 am »

2. How to remove clothes from floor? I've marked them for dump but no-dworf care about it.
It's possible that the items belong to a dwarf, in which case nobody will dump them and nobody but that dwarf will touch them. Build cabinets in your dwarves' bedrooms if you haven't already, and eventually dwarves will move things they own into the cabinets.

Elephants... Elephants you can't actually keep anywhere. They get hungry faster than they can possibly eat, so they'll starve to death even as they eat a savanna bare.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:00 am »

I feel sorry for the elefants. Can it be edit in raw's or it is hardcoded?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 11:17:42 am »

I feel sorry for the elefants. Can it be edit in raw's or it is hardcoded?
It's in the raws. They have the tag [GRAZER:12], which means that each time they eat their hunger is reduced by 12 points. It takes 10 steps to eat once, during which their hunger is increased by 10 points, but if they happen to remove all the vegetation in their current tile, it takes them 10 steps to move, during which they aren't eating, so it takes 20 steps to reduce their hunger by 12... In short, again, they starve to death even as they eat as much as possible.

Increasing the number in their GRAZER tag would save them. It needs to be at least 21 to survive, though at that level they'd also probably have trouble.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mcducks22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:20:52 am »

When I looK on furniture in stockpile (ie.: golden statue) I can see the description, but when statue is placed by build menu i'm unable to see the description. Is there any way to see description again?

Use t. It shows you what was used to construct the statue.

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 11:31:27 am »

Thanks man, U saved my superior quality golden statue of gloom troll from oblivion :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 11:51:40 am »

If the clothing is owned by a dwarf, then give that dwarf as bedroom with a cabinet in it.  Eventually the dwarf should pick up his dropped clothes and put them away in his cabinet.  Make sure the clothing is not forbidden or marked for dumping.

If the clothing isn't owned by any dwarf, make a finished goods stockpile somewhere, and make sure the clothing is not forbidden or marked for dumping.  Eventually it should be moved.

3. I know that /test object name here/ -> {Urist McDwarf's left alpaca wool sock} will degrade over time and eventually annihilate. Should I replace it to avoid naked dwarf fortress? Can I replace it?

Clothing eventually rots off.  At the moment, it is difficult to make dwarves put on new clothing.  If you make new clothing they will claim it and put it in their room, but never actually wear it.  Currently the only way to force a dwarf to wear clothing is to put him in the military and give him a uniform.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »

Dwarves are bad for hoarding clothes, especially the infamous socks, while never actually wearing them.  This is because they have the desire to wear clothes, hence they acquire new ones, yet are somehow unable to get into them.  The bad thing is that they keep hoarding, and will overflow any amount of cabinet space you provide.  Even if placed in a squad, they will wear new clothing, while their existing clothes sit in their room.  Some players have taken to extreme measures to deal with this, including making every bedroom magma-floodable, which will destroy any clothing, contaminants, most furniture, and floor engravings.

Qwicol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 05:10:21 pm »

MoAr questions:

I know that balistas and catapults have friendly fire, what about bows and crossbows?

Is it possible for a "something" with bilding destroyer to destroy bridge?

Pages: [1] 2