Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Fortifications  (Read 1879 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Multiple Fortifications
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »

Can dwarves shoot through multiple fortifications in a row? When I try the following my dwarfs will not shoot.

D : dwarf
# : Fortification
g : goblin

##
D ##      g
   ##
Soaplent green is goblins!

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Fortifications
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »

From the wiki:

An archer must have a skill level of accomplished or higher to shoot through fortifications from a distance; otherwise they must stand directly next to the fortification to shoot through it.

So if your marksdwarves aren't at least accomplished, they won't be able to shoot through the second layer of fortifications.  I suspect even after they do reach accomplished they'll still suffer an aim penalty for shooting through fortifications that are more than 1 tile away, so double-layering might not be the greatest idea.

Also relevant from the wiki:

Note that goblin elite bowmen and crossbowmen have sufficient skill to ignore the distance from your fortifications; they will shoot right through every time and (likely) decimate your forces.

Elite Goblin Crossbowmen pretty much ignore fortifications as though they were empty space.  They're super deadly.  If I remember correctly the same is true for highly trained marksdwarves, but I'm not sure when the ability kicks in.

--nomad_delta
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:21:52 pm by nomad_delta »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:39:59 pm »

If it's Elite status, that should be level 8 I believe.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:49:51 pm »

If it's Elite status, that should be level 8 I believe.

Anyone got any level 8 or higher Marksdwarves handy to !!SCIENCE!! this with?  The marksdwarf squad in my current fort isn't that skilled yet.

--nomad_delta

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:57:12 pm »

Bah. Elite bowgoblins ? Just danger room your marksdwarves. With a shield.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:15 pm »

I can tell you guys it takes a Great (lv11) marksdwarf to be able to shoot at the Bronze Colossus through these two particular fortifications from the opposite wall(the range may be longer).

My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »

Is "Elite" at 11?  I couldn't remember.  Whatever level they change to "Axelord" type, is when they gain fortification penetration, then.  That's the "elite" status.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »

Yeah I do believe they become elite marksdwarves at lv11. Sorry, forgot to put that in earlier.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:01:15 am »

yes light green marksdwarfs can shoot through fortifications from a distance, as i recall from earlier forts.
actually i was wondering why some of my marksdwarfs can do this and others can't, and now that's clear for me, thanks.

however, the problem is not that your dwarves are _unable_ to shoot at elite bowgoblins, they usually are not.
The problem is that they do not _aim_ at elite bowgoblins preferring instead to waste ammo on their squads of harmless "goblin pikemen" or "!!goblin macemen!!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:07:14 am »

On the plus side, a !!Goblin Maceman!! probably won't be fired at for very long anyways.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:22:06 am »

On the plus side, a !!Goblin Maceman!! probably won't be fired at for very long anyways.
On the plus side, a !!Goblin Maceman!! probably won't be fired for for very long anyways.