Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible to capture a "trapavoid" creature by...  (Read 2611 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to capture a "trapavoid" creature by...
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:16:10 am »

Is it possible to capture a "trapavoid" creature (specificity a forgotten beast) by...

inducing a cavein right next to a hallway of cage traps where it is walking on top of (with trap-avoid)
will it be stunned and trown into a cave trap?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1415325/afbeeldingen/monster%20trap.jpg

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to capture a "trapavoid" creature by...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 08:19:33 am »

That depends. If it has the [NOSTUN] tag then no it isn't. Otherwise, a cave-in will snare you anything. If you're trying to cage a forgotten beast or something like that, you'd need to get a giant cave spider to spew webs on your traps.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:28:19 am »

That depends. If it has the [NOSTUN] tag then no it isn't. Otherwise, a cave-in will snare you anything. If you're trying to cage a forgotten beast or something like that, you'd need to get a giant cave spider to spew webs on your traps.

is that the only way? i might have 2 mammoth fb's on my game, and i would want to start breeding them but how would i capture them without a cave spider?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:00 am »

Forgotten beasts can't breed.  For one thing, each is the only member of its species.  They don't have the [PET] tag, so they can't reproduce.  They also have no children or reproduction data defined, so even if you had two tame forgotten beasts of the same type they wouldn't breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:09 am »

is that the only way? i might have 2 mammoth fb's on my game, and i would want to start breeding them but how would i capture them without a cave spider?
Forgotten Beasts don't breed because they're unique freaks of nature.

Ninja'd.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13:52 am »

Bah! Who needs breeding FB's? Start breeding Dragons! 1000 years of time for them to mature, huge, fire-breathing, valuable...

Now THAT is dwarfy!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:43:43 am »

Bah! Who needs breeding FB's? Start breeding Dragons! 1000 years of time for them to mature, huge, fire-breathing, valuable...

Now THAT is dwarfy!
Eat and/or sell their babies. Not like your fortress will last 1000+ years  ::)
 :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:31 pm »

Or you could get a really powerful computer and keep the pop cap down LOW on a small map, then try to manage a fast-forward-fortress with only a dozen dwarves over several generations for each crop, like some kind of monastery.

Hm...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »

Well, you can uncap the FPS by giving it an absurd limit like 10,000.  Tests have been done to see how worldgen changes FPS, and these tests were done by uncapping FPS and changing world size, world depth, and civilization numbers, and comparing the FPS of a new embark.  A shallow, pocket world with few civs, will get like 6,000 FPS.  Considering a year in DF is 403,200 frames, at ~5,000 FPS you should pass a thousand years in 22+ hours.  Probably closer to 24, because you have to pause it at times, right?

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:36 pm »

If toady implemented a standing orders thing, that'd certainly be possible. Alternatively, have a well linked to an infinite water source and a farm growing plump helmets. You'd have to pause every once in a while to enable farming on the grown children.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »

Or once you reach Booze Singularity.  That is, the point at which you have so many barrels, that you can set booze production in /R and never fill it.  As more barrels stock in the still, it becomes cluttered, and production slows down.  Eventually, it will slow to the point that booze is consumed at the rate it's produced.  The only requirement to reach this point is a lot of barrels and a lot of plants, and also no booze stockpile.  Bonus points if you're using multiple plants, so that no one gets tired of that one booze.

Either way, surviving that time isn't the hard part, really.  It's just kinda boring and pointless, I suppose.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »

Playing dwarf fortress for a thousand years and 24 hours straight is pointless?

That's funny, to me it sounds like the best idea ever.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »

Well, to be fair, you wouldn't be playing it much.  You'd mostly be watching dwarves sit in a dining room and occasionally harvesting a plant.  If we had economy, and they could grow, process, spin, and weave pig tails, then you might actually see stuff happen, as they naturally create, sell, hoard, and lose items.  But until dwarves are able to "think" on their own, a stable fort is a boring fort.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »

Yes... What I'm thinking of is more of a really, really fast fort. It just needs to be stable enough to get through a decade unattended (15 minutes).

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:28:00 am »

Of course that means no pauses.

Meaning you set off all reasons for pauses.
Also preferably remove moods.

But won't the dragons get a new litter of little dragons every now and then, resulting in FPS drop?

Maybe they're all in a pit...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: [1] 2