Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using iron to build up smithing xp  (Read 1970 times)

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using iron to build up smithing xp
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »

In my newest fort i have found tons of iron ore, does this mean I should use iron to train up my weapon and armor smiths?  And what's the best use for iron weapon wise?  Serrated disks, spears for spike traps, spikes for spike traps, or weapons for troops?
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Using iron to build up smithing xp
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:48 pm »

Whatever you want, as you can later smelt it into bars again to recover some of your investment and avoid waste.

Otherwise, if you're into traps, serrated iron disks would be your best option. You can train your weaponsmiths while producing useful things to rip the guts of stuff.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:14:51 pm »

Iron is the main resource of every successful fort.  This is because goblins are prone to carrying iron, and dwarves are probe to killing goblins.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »

Iron is the main resource of every successful fort.  This is because goblins are prone to carrying iron, and dwarves are probe to killing goblins.
This is a fine engraving of a dwarf and a goblin. The dwarf is commiting a depraved act against the goblin.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »

This is a fine engraving of a dwarf and a goblin. The dwarf is commiting a depraved act against the goblin.

The Dwarf is laughing.  The Goblin is screaming.  The engraving menaces with spikes of truthiness.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:00:23 pm »

Okay i hooked up like 10 iron disks to a masterwork mechanism and put 6 steel disks and 3 iron spears on another masterwork mechanism right behind that...  Now im waiting for the first gobs to test them out for me.
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »

Protip: Disks will jam, a lot.  10x jammed disks takes out a whole trap.  If each trap has 1x disk, then when it jams, you still have 9 more behind it.  So, don't put all your eggs in one basket, as it were...

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:44:51 pm »

I usually put 3x disks per trap, seems to work for me.  10x is just overkill.  Because of the way armor and hardnesses work, if iron will kill something, the 3x will generally do a decent job, and allows you to put out far more traps.  If 3x doesn't affect whatever is attacking, 10x is not likely to.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:40:29 pm »

I like 10x, it gives the bronze colossi more chances to dodge into the magma.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:08 pm »

Those are at the bottle neck entrance to the underground part of the fort...  The above ground is where the spam of smaller weapon traps is....  No chances for them to get into my living area.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:24 am »

Just had a possessed weaponsmith make a artifact steel mace with a picture of an artifact hatch from the same fortress on it lmao...

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:41 am »

First gobbo confrontation...  Most of the ambush has been maimed by single iron serrated disk traps...  No one has made it to the steel or masterwork iron, my food supplies are running out and im hoping everyone dies soon so that my four lucky locked away immigrants can begin to rebuild

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:57 am »

is glass still absurdly awesome in Blade traps?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 02:17:53 am »

Abandoned it, time to go there in adventurer and see all the berzerk tantrumers!!!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:49 am »

Whatever you want, as you can later smelt it into bars again to recover some of your investment and avoid waste.

Otherwise, if you're into traps, serrated iron disks would be your best option. You can train your weaponsmiths while producing useful things to rip the guts of stuff.
so long as you're careful what you melt backdown.
melt anything masterwork and the smith will get a bad thought.
do 20-30 in a row and he goes utterly batshit.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2