Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tantrum Resistance  (Read 4541 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Re: Tantrum Resistance
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 05:40:19 am »

Or you can choose the path of most resistance blood , create a 15 z level platform , have a meeting hall of all your dwarves under it . Have all the kittens and puppies or whatever excessive animals you have in a small bridge slung underneath , pull level to drop all the animals to their doom. If im not wrong , all the dwarves who see this will have " not care about anything anymore" .

Yeah. this. You want NO TANTRUMS. Well seeing puppies die everyday as you eat lunch, will mean that you really don't give a crap anymore. The rest of it is just cruft to keep dwarves happy. If they wont tantrum, problem solved right?

Dwf 1 - "AMG! The crazy crafter impaled your wife! With a pick I mean."
Dwf 2 - "meh - everything dies. Life goes on"

Basically embark with 1 male, 4 female cats/dogs. And proceed to chuck their incessant litter down the death tube which lands in the dining hall.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 10:27:55 pm »

I have a legendary dining room (they're trivial to set up. Just try making a sort of cafeteria with room for some statues in it), and a central staircase with statues on every other level. They can't go anywhere in the fortress without admiring a "tastefully arranged" statue! I also try to have a varied selection of booze and food.

I have never had a problem with tantrums, even when my 12 strong military all died to a mishandled siege.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:02 pm »

The standard solution for all of my fortresses has been to designate no meeting zones or other places where dwarves spend their free time. In my experience, the only thing that will push an otherwise satisfied (happiness level of around 90-100) civilian dwarf to tantruming is a death of a friend, pet or child. Otherwise, the base happiness level is ridiculously easy to maintain and requires no special measures whatsoever. Without meeting zones, dwarves will not make friends and you can easily survive the loss of half your fortress with only a few dwarves being upset when their beloved cat/child meets an unfortunate magma or cave-in related end. Oh, and also, not having dining rooms gets rid of parties.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 03:34:35 am »

Instead of a meeting zone with a puppy gore shower, have a burrow-alert force everyone to drop what they're doing to attend the show.

Oh, and also, not having dining rooms gets rid of parties.
Parties are thrown around meeting zones defined from buildings. So dining rooms can only host parties if you specifically say it's a meeting hall on top of being a dining room. To get around this, use zones instead to have meeting areas defined.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:52 am »

designate no meeting zones or other places where dwarves spend their free time.

I use this setup after I lost too many forts to spirals.  Now I use a single level of 200 2x2 rooms that sits over stairs that branches off into four seperate "towers".  cage traps at the entrance to the four "towers" and the main stairs to the bedrooms level.

When they aren't doing anything they are waiting in their rooms.  Legendary dinning rooms are at the bottom of each tower and the stairs in each are filled with engravings and statues as someone said.

The no meeting zone setup has worked well on three wipes from FBs and a magma flood.  Decided clearing the bodies and body parts was not worth the work but the survivours were still happy. :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:03 pm »

Individual bedrooms.  Just build a lot of bedrooms, like 1x1 with a door and a bed, designate them as bedrooms, and don't assign them to anyone.  Dwarves spend their free time in their bedrooms, where they sit alone and don't make friends, so they don't care when anyone dies.

Alternatively, mist generators.  They're game-breakingly powerful for moods.  I had someone get stuck in my aqueduct and die of dehydration (weird, right?) but his mood never dropped below like 100 or so because he was constantly shrouded in mist from a waterfall.  If you embark on a river, or you're good at pulling water up from the caverns, you should invest some time in mastering water.  Do a few embarks with invasions turned off, and practice building mist generators in your dining hall.  You can have goblins riding hippos killing babies in the dining hall, and their mothers will be ecstatic from the mist.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »

I don't really see how happiness is a difficult issue.  Without using any special tricks, I just brew, cook, and engrave.  Statues are pretty nice to have.  I also use gold furniture liberally, and encrust gems on everything.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 03:27:48 pm »

I have tried a puppyfall. Didn't seem to work.

However, a babyfall danger room in the meeting area might work.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 03:33:42 pm »

Needs moar puppies.  Also, you can apparently place a female dog on a 1x1 pillar above your dining hall, and every time it gives birth the pups will fall to their death.  Goblins are probably easier, though.  Station your military in the dining hall so that any unlucky surviving goblins are struck down.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 03:42:01 pm »

But I will need 10 z-levels above my dining room... too damn complicated...

Probably easier to build your trade depot in the dining room and murder elves. Or better, make a large colosseum with plenty of sieges and line of sight to the goblin executions in the arena, so you might give your dwarves *dwarven wheat flour roast* and games.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 03:44:12 pm »

Needs moar puppies.  Also, you can apparently place a female dog on a 1x1 pillar above your dining hall, and every time it gives birth the pups will fall to their death.
Creatures which are born appear in the same tile as their parent, so the puppies will appear on the pillar with their mother.  However, they may then fight with their mother as a result of confinement, and then dodge off and fall.  Unfortunately, the mother is as likely to fall as the puppies in that case.  What may work better is building a 3X3 platform, with a chain in the middle, and chaining the mother in the center tile so she can never fall off the platform.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »

Needs moar puppies.  Also, you can apparently place a female dog on a 1x1 pillar above your dining hall, and every time it gives birth the pups will fall to their death.
Creatures which are born appear in the same tile as their parent, so the puppies will appear on the pillar with their mother.  However, they may then fight with their mother as a result of confinement, and then dodge off and fall.  Unfortunately, the mother is as likely to fall as the puppies in that case.  What may work better is building a 3X3 platform, with a chain in the middle, and chaining the mother in the center tile so she can never fall off the platform.
Or better than a female dog... a stray female turkey hen crundle CAVE CROCODILE stuck on a 3x3 platform, surrounded with nest boxes. With a male on the map, of course.

Enjoy the absolute rain of crocodile hatchlings when they hatch. Hell, i've had already one single crocsplosion out of a single stack of eggs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »

Royal bedrooms. With personal waterwalls. They don't give a damn about anything else once you set those babies up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 09:32:31 pm »

While it's fun to make it literally rain cats and dogs (and cave crocodiles), it's much easier to butcher the animals in a high traffic area.  You also get to use all of the meat, fat, bones, and hides from the creatures you butcher.

I also use small individual rooms, constant work (dumping rocks in a quantum pile, smoothing the entire fortress, turning the quantum pile into a pile of blocks, turning the blocks into walls/floors/20-zlevel-towers), booze variety, and a cook continuously making roasts.  A few chickens and turkeys + buying all the food from every caravan with 75%+ profits = more roasts then we will ever eat, with plenty to use as trade goods.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »

Butchering doesn't give any "does not care" mood.  Only violent deaths count.
Pages: 1 [2] 3