Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nobles Still Bugged???  (Read 1352 times)

Coco146

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nobles Still Bugged???
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:17:21 am »

I heard that there was a bug that prevented immigrant nobles from arriving, so i was just wondering is that still the case

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles Still Bugged???
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 05:56:34 am »

Yup.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:20:35 am »

Why would you want nobles??? Isnt one mayor demanding steel thrones in a metalless embark enough for you?(^_^)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 06:32:09 am »

i had a mayor arrive and demand 2 crossbow bolts (whut), and then just to make sure i didnt get rid of them, he banned exporting bolts. (Jokes on him, i have 10 marksdwarves who enjoy "exporting" bolts to the local goblin "traders")

apart from him, this explains why i have gotten no nobles

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:19:37 am »

I heard that it's because the liaison, when he talks to you, checks if the last caravan left safely-- but it's always sitting in your depot by that time. If that's true, you have to keep your leader busy and/or locked in a room until the caravan gets off the map, THEN let the liaison talk to him, and it should do the caravan check and make nobles arrive correctly next immigration wave.

I shall attempt to !!SCIENCE!! this.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 07:31:18 am »

post results of the !!SCIENCE!! back here, i'd like to know if this works

Della

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:49 am »

Got all the chain of nobles (Baron->Count->Duke) without problems. It probably was because a meeting occurred after the traders left, but I'm not 100% sure, i wasn't even aware that there were problems so I wasn't checking that.

Still no king. I heard he needs 140 dwarves. Can anyone confirm actually having one in the latest release?

No Dungeon Master, apparently. And I even have a caged dragon i'm saving for him.

What about the other nobles, like the tax collector or the hammerer?

I kind of like having nobles. It gives the fortress character, gives me a chance to polish my interior dwarfcorator skills and get creative with room designs, and gives a bit of a challenge and some things to do in my otherwise self-sufficient, goblin-proof fortress.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:45 am »

Immigrant nobles (Dungeon Master, Hammerer, Tax Collector) don't show up at all at the moment.  You can mod the entity raws to make them manually appointed, but they still don't do their designated job.  The Dungeon Master doesn't tame exotic animals, and the Tax Collector doesn't enable the economy.  I'm not sure if the Hammerer does anything if you appoint him manually.

The appointed landholder (Baron/Count/Duke) works normally yet, the bug where you had to wait for the traders to leave seem to be fixed.

I haven't gotten the King on any of my fortresses, but I haven't specifically tried to.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 08:56:13 pm »

no hammerer? d'aww.  i was looking forward to that guy.

ill lock my mayor and all that in a room next time the traders show up. see if that moves things along.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:44 pm »

Aww man, and I had an artifact bone warhammer saved JUST for him!

Wait a sec, were nobles still broken in 31.18?  Cuz that's what I'm using.

swampwater

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 09:19:30 pm »

I've been seeing these mentions of bugged nobles for a long time, but have never had any problems getting barons or kings the whole time I've been playing 2010, from .12 on up- if anything, I get them earlier than I want and have to go scrambling to dig out appropriate throne rooms/tombs. I've gotten to the point where I don't build any roads, and once I have royal-class rooms I lay down some gold right before the liason is supposed to arrive. One thing I'm curious about is whether the population cap affects the arrival of the king's entourage- last time he arrived for me I had it maxed out already and he showed up all by himself- even though checking in legends showed his wife and children as living. I tried save-scumming and raising the pop cap but ended up killing my duke accidentally (yes I keep nobles alive, you sickos) and just gave up on that game to try some more modding.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 09:54:13 pm »

I've been seeing these mentions of bugged nobles for a long time, but have never had any problems getting barons or kings the whole time I've been playing 2010, from .12 on up- if anything, I get them earlier than I want and have to go scrambling to dig out appropriate throne rooms/tombs.
Those nobles work fine, it's the hammerer, tax collector, and dungeon master that fail to show up.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:31 pm »

out of all of these the dungeon master is the only one worth anything more then a few giggles.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 11:23:11 pm »

Tax collector isnt worth any giggles, poor roomless dwarves everywhere!

i would like the hammerer, for lulz

but the loss of a dungeon master hurts, no tamed dragons!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 11:26:35 pm »

but the loss of a dungeon master hurts, no tamed dragons!

[PET_EXOTIC] --> [PET]
Now you are the dungeon master. Tame the untameable.
Pages: [1] 2