Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Economy?  (Read 5560 times)

LakatosI

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Economy?
« on: April 28, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

I'm fairly new to the game, I started playing this January with a couple of longer pauses in-between. Browsing the wiki I discovered a page which described dwarven economy in the older versions, how you just had to build rooms and dwarves automatically occupied them, etc... Why was this taken out?! It sounds so insanely useful. I can't stand the thought of manually asigning rooms to my dwarves, especially when my population slowly reaches +150 :(
Is there some workaround to get economy back? How do you deal with assigning rooms?

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Economy?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »

Dwarfs still take rooms automatically, they just don't have to pay for them..

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 12:21:58 pm »

It was taken out because it didn't really work. Most dwarves wouldn't earn enough money to afford even the most basic room, so you had to fill your fortress with tiny 1X1 rooms with rough rock walls or find your dwarves unhappily sleeping on the floor. In addition, your dwarves had to pay to eat once the economy went in, so you'd find your stockpiles filling with masterful roasts that no one can afford to eat. And then if you were foolish enough to mint coins...

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

Just highlight the bed with Q, turn it into a bedroom, and assign it to whatever dwarf you want to use it. You'll be able to keep up with it easily if you assign them as the migrants arrive.

Or you could just draft them into the military and they'll automatically use beds in the barracks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:26:23 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:36:29 pm »

I just keep the economy off, and make everyone sleep in an *engraved* room with x20 studded/decorated beds. Keeps everyone high.

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 12:42:15 pm »

If you press Q, go to a bed, make a room, the next dwarf that sleeps in it will automatically become the new owner, no need to assign individually.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »

Isn't there an option to turn the economy on in the current version? I remember reading that somewhere.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »

Isn't there an option to turn the economy on in the current version? I remember reading that somewhere.
It's in the init.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »

It's in the init, but it doesn't work.  It's supposed to be tied to the arrival of the Tax Collector, but immigrant nobles never arrive, and even if you mod the entity raws to make them manually assignable, they don't do the special jobs they're supposed to.  So, the Economy never gets enabled.

The problem with the way the Economy worked was that there was no modeling of supply and demand whatsoever.  The price of housing was fixed by the value of the room, even if no dwarf on the map could afford to stay there, so it was easy to have a fortress full of homeless dwarves and empty rooms.  The price of food was also fixed, and if you went in for any kind of high-value prepared meal production it was easy to have stockpiles of masterwork roasts sitting uneaten while all your dwarves gnawed cold plump helmets.  It also didn't help that individual dwarves had no clue whatsoever how to make intelligent purchases, and would randomly opt to buy silk loincloths from the last goblin invasion and then get evicted for not paying rent.  Admittedly, that last one accurately reflects some people's real-world purchasing habits.

The point is that in DF the main result of activating the economy was that most of your dwarves would be unhappy and many of the usual happiness-increasing measures (nice rooms, fine goods, masterwork roasts) would become unavailable to them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »

And even if you set the room rent to zero, they got evicted when their bank balance went negative.  It did that when they ate a cold plump helmet they couldn't afford.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 05:55:18 am »

But don't legendaries get their rooms and other stuff for free?

TO THE PUMP GYM!!
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:30:32 am »

i have an old copy of 40d, i feel like rushing to the economy for lulz.

juuust once. (cause i never got to it before lol)

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:20:08 am »

Any idea of when economy would get back? I hope it will come soon

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:24:23 am »

I think Df economy shouldn't model today's world. DF is a medieval game and should therefore have medieval economy such as feudalism

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:36:31 am »

The economy is probably pretty far down the development line, somewhere after armies and caravans. Probably a good thing too, in 40d it was unbelievably broken.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because
Pages: [1] 2