Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Equipping/Inventory Mod  (Read 3004 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Equipping/Inventory Mod
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:14:16 am »

Anyone know if there's a mod out there for such an interface? If not, maybe we could do some collaboration on making one. I'm not so goo at coding or anything in the field, but I'm pretty decent at designing an intuitive system.

This game is amazing, but there are some portions of it that are needlessly wasteful on time. For the first part, I'm looking for something that will allow me to select a body part, and the game will show me all the gear that is associated with it. From there, it will allow me to select and deselect the pieces I would like on that part. Maybe add a portion on there with a "paper doll" design, showing how much of the body the piece will actually cover. I believe doing both of these things would lower the learning curve for many people looking to get into the game, and save others from having to deal with an anti-fun game design that pushes a "false challenge" on players (spending 15 minutes organizing your inventory after each re-equip/purchase is only a challenge on your patience).

The second part of the mod would bypass the nonsense of having to remove items from your pack in order to use them for things like butchering. I know this seems unnecessary now, as there are few things in the game that involve actions in your inventory, but after having played the Genesis Mod for even a little bit I know this will change. When we start getting to a game where we're doing things like making arrows and bone armor, we're going to be really annoyed with having to remove 6 specific things from our pack, then put it all back--every time we choose to make something.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: Adventure Mode Equipping/Inventory Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 08:31:36 am »

ehm... DF modding isn't that thing. Modding the RAW files (found in the in the raw/objects folder) can add and modify creatures, civilizations, items, metals, rock, etc... but every other thing (like the interface) has to be done by Toady.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:00 am »

Unless you write an external tool from scratch which is capable of interpreting the inventory data by reading DF's memory, which may well be what dirty foot was thinking of.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:13 am »

Unless you write an external tool from scratch which is capable of interpreting the inventory data by reading DF's memory, which may well be what dirty foot was thinking of.
I was pretty sure that doing something like this in the actual game would be either impossible or difficult. I was thinking more along the lines of how mods like Therapist and Runesmith work.

I'd do it myself, but I'd have an easier time trying to breath water than learn programming. I saw this as an opportunity to ask if something like this exists, or plant the seed in one of the modder's heads.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:57:09 am »

I was pretty sure that doing something like this in the actual game would be either impossible or difficult. I was thinking more along the lines of how mods like Therapist and Runesmith work.

I'd do it myself, but I'd have an easier time trying to breath water than learn programming. I saw this as an opportunity to ask if something like this exists, or plant the seed in one of the modder's heads.
Elf.

You obviously should be trying to breath magma.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:59:36 am »

Elf.

You obviously should be trying to breath magma.
Apologies.

I forget my place sometimes.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 10:06:47 am »

No no, Necro is merely excitable.  Your argument was clearly well thought out, but you shied away from difficulty.  Clearly a hume argument.

Neverthelesss, it is not invalid.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55:29 am »

the second part of your issue could be solve if you just remove the reagents from all of the adventure reactions that way you just spawn the item and pretend that you have the item in your back pack for this to work. the second is mash W on wearable items or use a macro for wearing stuff. now I know jack about coding but Dfusion is really easy for making functions for adventure mode... like equipping items on companions or raising the dead. 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 11:03:28 am »

No no, Necro is merely excitable.  Your argument was clearly well thought out, but you shied away from difficulty.  Clearly a hume argument.

Neverthelesss, it is not invalid.
In the words of an epic beard man:

MY BEARD IS AWESOME

YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID! lol. Yes, I am excitable, but his beard should have been tingling!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:11:17 am »

the second part of your issue could be solve if you just remove the reagents from all of the adventure reactions that way you just spawn the item and pretend that you have the item in your back pack for this to work. the second is mash W on wearable items or use a macro for wearing stuff. now I know jack about coding but Dfusion is really easy for making functions for adventure mode... like equipping items on companions or raising the dead.
This is the part where I get picky about things. I want the interface to be simpler, but I'd feel wrong about acting like I already have what I need to make things. So that would probably not work for me. The other part about mashing W would work except that you're limited in gear that you can wear, and the game doesn't automatically choose the "best" item for the slot.

With my idea, you can pick and choose which items you want to wear. This would include the items you're wearing in the list, as well as those you are not wearing (working like a check-box list). One of the worst parts of equipping right now is scrolling back and forth and figuring out what you already have equipped in certain slots. There's literally no organization to the inventory now. Ironically, the best way to make sure you have your best items on a slot is to remove all the gear for that slot, then hit W and chose your best gear first, rolling back to your worst.

Now, imagine doing that for every part of your body, every time you want to ensure you're wearing the best gear every time you clear out a cave stockpile. And don't get me started on material/quality issues in choosing the best gear. I have no problem doing a little math on elasticity and compressive resistance, but there's no reference in-game to any particular numbers. Traversing the wiki every time you pick up a glove is a little on the insane side.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 11:14:49 am »

My beard tingled once... but then it turned out I had lice.

True story.

But yeah it would be nice if there were an interface for adventure mode equipping somewhat similar to Castle Of The Winds.  Little icons for everything, drag-n-drop onto a paper doll.  I've made the point that DF is basically a cyborg program, more utility than DF... So I very much agree that the endeavor would be worth the trouble.

Unfortunately I don't have a compiler or a working knowledge of the dfhack API.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:39:56 pm »

use the W to pick out items in a fast pace then? I'm still stump on the 15 minutes of scrolling through the wear menu for best gear.
it must be the whole playing roguelikes that make this hard to understand or I don't care about the technical stuff I wear unless it under the Rare material section which is if it made of adamantine or a custom metal I can't find or is it I'm not the tank of the group and spend most of my time playing as a rouge where I throw items while hidden to kill my foes?

I agree with Jeoshua on the cyborg program.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

My beard tingled once... but then it turned out I had lice.

True story.

But yeah it would be nice if there were an interface for adventure mode equipping somewhat similar to Castle Of The Winds.  Little icons for everything, drag-n-drop onto a paper doll.  I've made the point that DF is basically a cyborg program, more utility than DF... So I very much agree that the endeavor would be worth the trouble.

Unfortunately I don't have a compiler or a working knowledge of the dfhack API.
Your beard was tingling because you needed to use magma to clean your beard!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:32:02 am »

The method I described is how Therapist and Runesmith work.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 01:30:19 pm »

The method I described is how Therapist and Runesmith work.
I had quoted the wrong person.