Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aperture Assistance Thread  (Read 1249 times)

Rinoka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Aperture Assistance Thread
« on: April 23, 2011, 02:37:26 am »

So, have you ever wanted your designs to be a part of something bigger? Something amazing?

I'm making it happen.

Aperture Science, in the world of DF. This involves a lot of cages and a lot of science. I, however, do not have the appropriate test chambers designed for science. And, in the interest of community science, would like to present you all with a request: give me your science ideas! This doesn't have to be ONLY FOR THOSE FORTRESS MODE SUCKERS, but also for ADVENTURE MODE.

Yes, I just implied that you will be able to traverse the entirety of the facility with ADVENTURE on the brain in the end. Maybe you want to help me, backed by Urist Johnson, to make this great.

I didn't Community Game this topic just because it's more of a 'share test designs' than a 'here, have this save file' type thing. I'll move it though if necessary!

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: Aperture Assistance Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:33:51 am »

I've always wondered what would happen if I make my 5 z-level water tower 10 times higher and opened the gate upon an army of advancing gobbos. Would the water pressure propel them with enough force to injure them?
An alternative way of building pressure that I've heard of (but not yet tried) is to have 10 powered water pumps forcing water into a room which contains a single tile wide hallway.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:28:55 am »

Just make sure there's magma cake at the end of the Enrichment Tests.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 07:54:25 am »

It would be nice if we could come up with a reliable method for hanging things from the top of the sky... say, by pumping Magma and Water up to the maximum z-level and letting them mix in a mold that's pressed against the sky and one map-edge. Then build a support hanging from that.

... I'm told that this doesn't work, though. Has !!Science!! investigated all the possibilities?
Never pet a burning dog.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:00:05 pm »

I've always wondered what would happen if I make my 5 z-level water tower 10 times higher and opened the gate upon an army of advancing gobbos. Would the water pressure propel them with enough force to injure them?
An alternative way of building pressure that I've heard of (but not yet tried) is to have 10 powered water pumps forcing water into a room which contains a single tile wide hallway.

Water 'pressure' does not push anything, as soon as something is in 7/7 water it does not go anywhere.  The only time water pushes things is when it is changing levels, and it will push items from the higher level to the lower.  If the water intended to do the pushing is pressurized, the intended victims are more likely to be instantly submerged in 7/7 water and drow, than get pushed anywhere.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Rinoka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:32:19 pm »

I will put those on my list of things to test for science, though I am prone to having lots of fun with water.

Just make sure there's magma cake at the end of the Enrichment Tests.

Adventure mode version is planned to have both a statue of a cake (modded in if necessary) and then a drop into magma.

It would be nice if we could come up with a reliable method for hanging things from the top of the sky... say, by pumping Magma and Water up to the maximum z-level and letting them mix in a mold that's pressed against the sky and one map-edge. Then build a support hanging from that.

... I'm told that this doesn't work, though. Has !!Science!! investigated all the possibilities?

We have investigated every possibility. We're going to build underground, and probably do the equivalent of hollowing out the entire undermap (disregarding Hell)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:17:39 am »

I would love for someone to scientifically test out martial trances. Some people say they happen when a dwarf is outnumbered in combat, and some say when you use small squads, and some that they just happen randomly. Testing it would probably involve exposing dwarves to various types of threats in various circumstances to see if they trance.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:17:49 am »

Your thread title inspired me to a portal-style test track.

Gremlins in complex rooms with various levers. If it pulls the right ones, it shall continue into another test chamber. If it pulls the wrong ones, its probability of survival shall be reduced. (Water, war dogs, anything that wont kill it 100%)

thihihihi
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.