Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remove floor -> get trapped. How do I fix this?  (Read 902 times)

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Remove floor -> get trapped. How do I fix this?
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:47:16 am »

I'm re-designing the entryway to my current fort, and every time I designate a constructed floor tile to be removed, the dwarf doing so stands on the side that gets disconnected. I have tried assigning a wall to be built on that side and suspending the order how you're supposed to for building constructions, but apparently that doesn't work when removing them. I tried setting the area to restricted hoping the movement penalty would dissuade them, but it did not. This floor tile has been remove and replaced at least a dozen times already, so I'm fairly certain it's not just a fluke. What do I do?

Here's a picture of the problem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Remove floor -> get trapped. How do I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 03:20:02 am »

Build an actual wall or statue where the dwarf is standing and then deconstruct the floor tile?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:27:44 am »

Dwarves don't stand where you designate walls to be built, and walls won't get built if you suspend them.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 04:09:01 am »

And, if nothing else, don't forget that dwarves have a bias as to which direction they want to stand to accomplish various off-tile jobs.  (With the last resort being "on the tile", where the job allows.)  This is why the dwarves consistently stand in the wrong place, in your example.

If your example was flipped east-west, you'd probably not have the problem.  In the absence of the possibility to actually flip your entire map around, though, it might be worth considering that North is preferred over South and West is preferred over East.  (And all orthogonal directions preferred over all diagonals, where diagonal working is permissible, the later ordering similarly according to their mismatching constituents.)

But the others have the short answer.  Set to build (then suspend) a wall on the spot being currently insisted upon.  That'll sort this situation out.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:33:09 am »

What is under that question mark? A solid floor?

EDIT: If he can access it it must be solid floor not a ramp. Then building a statue or floodgate will do.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:57:49 am by Saiko Kila »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 04:43:00 am »

The statue is the best way to go if the suspended wall trick isn't working. However, if I may, what is it you're planning on doing after removing that floor area? Walling it in, or something else?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:08:55 am »

What is under that question mark? A solid floor?
Whoops, should have taken a better screenshot. Yeah, under that is another constructed floor that can be reached from the ramp to the right, and immediately under that is another slope.
Dwarves don't stand where you designate walls to be built, and walls won't get built if you suspend them.
And, if nothing else, don't forget that dwarves have a bias as to which direction they want to stand to accomplish various off-tile jobs.  (With the last resort being "on the tile", where the job allows.)  This is why the dwarves consistently stand in the wrong place, in your example.

If your example was flipped east-west, you'd probably not have the problem.  In the absence of the possibility to actually flip your entire map around, though, it might be worth considering that North is preferred over South and West is preferred over East.  (And all orthogonal directions preferred over all diagonals, where diagonal working is permissible, the later ordering similarly according to their mismatching constituents.)

But the others have the short answer.  Set to build (then suspend) a wall on the spot being currently insisted upon.  That'll sort this situation out.
The suspended wall thing seems to only apply to building stuff rather than deconstructing it, since as I stated in the OP it isn't working here.

Build an actual wall or statue where the dwarf is standing and then deconstruct the floor tile?
The statue is the best way to go if the suspended wall trick isn't working. However, if I may, what is it you're planning on doing after removing that floor area? Walling it in, or something else?

I thought about doing that, but I'm planning to re-route part of a nearby river through to make a waterfall along the main entry way. I didn't plan ahead well enough and constructed the entrance in the path of the future-waterway, so I brought down and extended that portion of the entrance. The water will go through the area where the dwarf is now, and a stray wall sticking out there would mess it up. Though now that I think about it a bit more, I realize I can just clean up that unneeded floor (and then replace it with a wall as planned) while digging out the waterway.
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

Manually designate one section at a time. Best way for this situation.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »

What works for me, if you don't mind cutting some of the terrain is this :-
Code: [Select]
###XX#
   F
   F
   F
######
Dig where the X's are, for an escape tunnel then wall off the X's starting with the left one. I usually only make these escape-tunnels rarely, and only once someone get's stuck (or is clearly about to)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:24:29 pm by Reelyanoob »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

Build a Support or Bridge there, rig it up to a lever. Now you have a way to make an obstacle when the dwarf is removing the floor, then you can get rid of that obstacle when it's time for your waterfall.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:13 pm »

Build a Support or Bridge there, rig it up to a lever. Now you have a way to make an obstacle when the dwarf is removing the floor, then you can get rid of that obstacle when it's time for your waterfall.

Man, I love the crazy contortions we go through to try to prevent our dwarves from doing obviously stupid things.  :P

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:13:23 pm »

HA! This is brilliant, thanks.