Advanced search  

Author Topic: POW's  (Read 1164 times)

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
POW's
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »

Last question of the day, I promise!

Can I trade captured goblins to caravans? It says I can on the item screen, but I don't know if that will just take the cage and leave one pissed off goblin in the middle of my fort...

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: POW's
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:13:22 pm »

...that will just take the cage and leave one pissed off goblin in the middle of my fort...

This.

Strip the prisoners and use them as "training dummies" for your military.
Never pet a burning dog.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »

Typically, if you tell your dwarves to bring a goblin cage to the depot, your orders will not have been specific enough. In other words, they'll release the goblin and bring just the cage to the depot.

I have heard, however, that if the cage is already 0 tiles away from the depot, due to having been dumped on top of it, the creature will not be released.

Stripping them and having them be live-fire targets for your fighters is usually better, though.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Thk13421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »

Alright... How do I strip them of their weapons without also removing their arms/hands with axes?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:16 pm »

Alright... How do I strip them of their weapons without also removing their arms/hands with axes?
First, you need a garbage dump zone. Then, using the d-b-d mass item dump designation, which marks everything in a tile that is designated for dumping, designate everything in the tiles the cages are in for dumping. Then, using the k-cursor, scroll over the cage and remove the dump marker with d. Now, everything in that tile, including all of the goblin's equipment, is marked for dumping, but the cage isn't. Dwarves will come to the cage, take items from the goblin, and bring them to the garbage dump zone.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »

I believe you must also mass-claim the tile, which is in the same menu. I could be wrong.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:10 pm »

I believe you must also mass-claim the tile, which is in the same menu. I could be wrong.

I always bulk-claim before bulk-dumping, yes... not sure if it's absolutely required.
Never pet a burning dog.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »

You need to bulk claim if you're dumping anything forbidden.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »

Better to unforbid and dump their weapons and shields, unless you're using warhammers in which case their armor doesn't help them. I don't think their armor does much against any weapon tbh, but it couldn't hurt.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:04:47 am »

Better to unforbid and dump their weapons and shields, unless you're using warhammers in which case their armor doesn't help them. I don't think their armor does much against any weapon tbh, but it couldn't hurt.

Yes, this.

This is done by way of the z-stocks menu. You have to have a bookkeeper who's done enough work for you to see all the weapons and shields in your fortress that way, then go to that part of the list, expand it so that you're looking at the list of individual items (with 'tab'), and go to the bottom of the list. The goblin stuff will be in (parentheses), always, and {forbidden}, by default. (If you've un-forbid it, it will be mixed in with the rest of the list rather than being at the bottom. Leaving it forbidden is more convenient for this reason.) Un-forbid it with 'f' and mark it for dumping with 'd', and it will be taken away from the goblins and moved to your garbage zone.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 04:21:27 am »

If you use goblins solely for archery practice then you don't even need to strip them of weapons or anything. You can claim it after they're down. And after miasma disperses.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 02:45:58 pm »

Prisoners?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:06:37 pm »

You could strip them down and drop them on new invaders (more z-levels the better). Or, you could train axedwarves on them then drop the body parts on the invaders. I think there is a common theme here.