Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbid trap corridor?  (Read 941 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbid trap corridor?
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:57:22 pm »

I have a trap corridor against enemies. However, dwarf's will naturally go there if that is the only path to something interesting outside, like fish in a lake, dropped enemy belongings, triggered traps, etc... I know I can simply create a burrow that encompasses my entire fortress, but this is very time-consuming, especially with multi-level fortress. All I want to do is forbid one little square on one floor. Doing this by forbidding a door unfortunately also causes some enemies to not see it as a path into the fortress, which is a must if they are to navigate my spiral of magma doom.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
Re: Forbid trap corridor?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:25:12 pm »

The only way I can think of is a huge burrow.
 :-\

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:27:44 pm »

Burrows work between levels, additionally you don't need to do one hallway at a time, you can just set a huge burrow over the entire level and it will fill everything in.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:39 pm »

On the path you want no dwarves to use, a pressure plate and hatch that reacts to dwarves, with full max/min weight range.

On the path you want dwarves to use the same setup, except nonreactive to dwarves.

You will want plates and hatches on either side of the passages
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »

On the path you want no dwarves to use, a pressure plate and hatch that reacts to dwarves, with full max/min weight range.

On the path you want dwarves to use the same setup, except nonreactive to dwarves.

This will just lead to your dwarves continuously pathing to that outside object, then cancelling with the new obstacle, then repathing back to the object when the obstacle is gone.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:36:26 pm »

This will just lead to your dwarves continuously pathing to that outside object, then cancelling with the new obstacle, then repathing back to the object when the obstacle is gone.

No, because they use one hallway rather than the other.  The shortest hallway is the one they want to use, but they won't be allowed to due to the hatch opening up, then they path through to the other hallway.

Simply creating two hallways and setting one as restricted will stop most traffic, but animals and whatnot are stopped by pressure plates and hatches too.

Basically create a reverse "Goblin Grinder" for your dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:37:58 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 07:40:46 pm »

No, because they use one hallway rather than the other.  The shortest hallway is the one they want to use, but they won't be allowed to due to the hatch opening up, then they path through to the other hallway.

Simply creating two hallways and setting one as restricted will stop most traffic, but animals and whatnot are stopped by pressure plates and hatches too.

Basically create a reverse "Goblin Grinder" for your dwarves.

How is the second corridor protected, then?  :o
Maybe a series of parallel corridors that alternately close and open while channeling dwarves/goblins through their respective routes in a grand scheme of a spiral pathway? Omg! :O
Must build now!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:45:39 pm »

Haha Now I have to stop the other game I was playing to make one too  :)

Dwarvish Pachinko!

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:54:13 pm »

Dwarvish Pachinko!

I miss that game. Too bad arcades aren't around much anymore (in America).

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »

if you make restricted trafic area won't it stop them?

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »

if you make restricted trafic area won't it stop them?

It will make them look for other alternative pathways when possible, but it really only affect preference. If there is no other pathway or if the alternative pathway is, for example, 1000 tiles away, they will still use the trapped corridor.

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:42 am »

The easiest way to do this is to design it from the beginning to have a shortcut to the outside that is accessed via bridge only. in times of danger put civilians on alert and raise the bridge, forcing the trap hallway/longer diversion to be the only path.