Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf jacking everyones food?  (Read 665 times)

Lyam84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf jacking everyones food?
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:45:19 pm »

Hi,
   I noticed everyone in my fortress was hungry, despite my plant stockpile being full of PH's and DC's. I checked the z screen and it said I had no plants too?
So I k'd all the plants I could find, and the descriptions all said they are owned by my militia commander!
What gives? I set the food in military to take 3, but he has claimed 40+ food items. Is this a bug?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf jacking everyones food?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »

Yes. Set him to not carry food or drink, then dump the "useless" food.
Is he a miner/woodcutter/hunter? That's usually the cause.

Lyam84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:27 pm »

Hes never really had any skills active except for stone hauling and armour/weapon making early on.
Changeing his supplies to none didn't work :(

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »

Skills don't matter - the only thing that's important is his enabled labors.
Does he have a backpack properly equipped (on his upper body)?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:03:33 pm »

Hes never really had any skills active except for stone hauling and armour/weapon making early on.
Changeing his supplies to none didn't work :(
Do you mean it didn't work in that he still owns the food (which cannot be unclaimed, ever, as far as I know), or that it didn't work because he's still claiming new food (which is what it's supposed to fix)?

Lyam84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:16:49 pm »

The former. Thats annoying that the food can't be unclaimed when all my other dwarfs are starving.
But no, hes not claiming food anymore.

Would I be correct in guessing that he kept claiming food because he would pick it up, claim it, then drop it because he had no backpack, and then go on to claim more food because he wasn't holding any?

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:03 pm »

I'm surprised that no-one's suggested killing the dwarf.
Kill the dwarf.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:57 pm »

Won't the food be brought to his tomb instead of to 'the community'?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

Won't the food be brought to his tomb instead of to 'the community'?
Possessions only get buried if the dwarf had a designated Tomb prior to death. Otherwise, if the dwarf has any next of kin the items will be inherited, else they will be returned to the community.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:05:44 pm »

I had this problem, and eventually did as advised, i.e. turned off carrying food. They still can carry alcohol, and it seems it's OK. But what I did additionally was designating every of these affected item to dump. Eventually, after two or three years, all items were thrown to the quantum stockpile, with cleared ownership. Only exception were items owned by one particular dwarf, Urist McHoarder, and it was food only. I don't know why, he's still alive. He's also only the one military dwarf (out of 29) who still keeps some owned food in his coffer. All others cleared their possessions and keep empty coffers, they use only their cabinets. I think it may be related to his civilian job, that is mining.  He is from my second wave, other miners-soldiers (or woodcutters-soldiers) were recruited after I turned off carrying of food. He was recruited before.

I think that only owners of these items were dumping them, that's why it took so long - they were in military, and seldom had time for other duties. Anyway, I speeded up cleaning by moving other items from affected stockpiles, sealing off these stockpiles (with mostly food), disabling refrigeration and waiting off.

EDIT:  Oh, and I also allowed them all to keep their uniforms when off-duty. Maybe that helped with alcohol, since they don't drop their flasks and waterskins everywhere as before.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:08:25 pm by Saiko Kila »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »

Only exception were items owned by one particular dwarf, Urist McHoarder, and it was food only. I don't know why, he's still alive. He's also only the one military dwarf (out of 29) who still keeps some owned food in his coffer. All others cleared their possessions and keep empty coffers, they use only their cabinets. I think it may be related to his civilian job, that is mining.  He is from my second wave, other miners-soldiers (or woodcutters-soldiers) were recruited after I turned off carrying of food. He was recruited before.

Miners, wood cutters, and hunters have an implicit uniform which does not include a backpack, so whenever they decide to wear said uniform they will take off their backpack and dump their rations on the floor; when they go back on duty, they put on their military uniform (including a backpack) and collect new rations instead of picking up the ones they previously dropped.

acer_palmatum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

Only exception were items owned by one particular dwarf, Urist McHoarder, and it was food only. I don't know why, he's still alive. He's also only the one military dwarf (out of 29) who still keeps some owned food in his coffer. All others cleared their possessions and keep empty coffers, they use only their cabinets. I think it may be related to his civilian job, that is mining.  He is from my second wave, other miners-soldiers (or woodcutters-soldiers) were recruited after I turned off carrying of food. He was recruited before.

Miners, wood cutters, and hunters have an implicit uniform which does not include a backpack, so whenever they decide to wear said uniform they will take off their backpack and dump their rations on the floor; when they go back on duty, they put on their military uniform (including a backpack) and collect new rations instead of picking up the ones they previously dropped.

This is also the reason why you don't want miners, wood cutters and hunters in your military- they take an extra step to equip themselves before moving for a station order bifurcating your squads if you don't carefully station them in steps.

Also I don't know if it was mentioned but I believe there is no good reason to put rations on soldiers anyways- they will only eat/drink on breaks and will still require buckets of water for long stations