Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any games like Detroit?  (Read 11337 times)

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
Any games like Detroit?
« on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:58 pm »

From Wikipedia:
Detroit is a turn-based business simulation game that puts one in charge of a fledgling automobile company starting in 1908 (the year the Ford Model T was introduced). The player is responsible for the financing, research and development, design, testing, production, and marketing of automobile product lines. The aim of the game is to be most profitable automobile business in the world after 100 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_%28video_game%29

I played this game like 10 years ago or so. I loved the idea, especially the product development and testing phase, but the economics side wasn't very well done. You were pretty much deadlocked in a price war to micro-manage from start to finish. I've been hoping since then that somebody would come up with a better version of the same idea.

Are there any games out there like Detroit? i.e. a detailed industry sim game (as opposed to generic business sims like Capitalism) with research elements in addition to other business aspects?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any games like Detroit?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:25:49 pm »

Free Enterprise and MadTV are the two that come to mind immediate. The first being more general, but still allowing you to specialize and research, the second being very specialized within the television industry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:09 pm »

Free Enterprise is definitely a good pick, although the "research" mechanic is maddeningly obtuse.  Basically, you research new products by randomly picking parts to match together and have a guy run the machine for an age and a half before you find out if it works, or you go to GameFAQs to look up the right combinations and then wait an age and a half.

Speaking of cars though, there's Motor City, which some guys who would know bill as "more complex" than Detroit.  Which sounds to me like more micromanaging, on top of having a lot less stuff abstracted, i.e. having to actually build a factory RTS style.  I mean, I managed to make a failing company in Detroit, but I couldn't even figure out how to make a car to sell in Motor City.  Maybe there's more to read in the manual, I didn't try very hard.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:37:59 pm »

I LOLed at this screenshot from Motor City. Failure is not an option in this game, eh?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:14:48 am »

Nope.  But curiously strong minty breath is.

I think I'm going to give it another shot.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:23 am »

The Movies is a bit like that, no real control over the research but alot of micromanaging your stars if thats your thing
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:05 am »

I was thinking by 'Detroit' you meant like... post-apocalyptic.  Seriously, have you been there?  Ah well, cars are cool too.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:37:03 am »

Corporate Machine sounds pretty close, it has 4 industries though - Automobiles, Computers, Aircraft, Soda.  Starts at the dawn of time for the industry you pick and goes well past the future; I've never actually finshed any of the tech trees
There are also crazy business decision cards you can play like Child Labor.
It's only $5 and it's made by Stardock.  Oh Multiplayer too.
http://www.impulsedriven.com/tcm

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 06:37:57 am »

Prehistoric soda technology? O_O That sounds interesting, and yet dumb as hell. I may have to look into the game.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 07:16:28 am »

Prehistoric soda technology? O_O That sounds interesting, and yet dumb as hell. I may have to look into the game.
lol
Starts at the dawn of the industry you pick, not the dawn of time.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:00 pm »

lol
Starts at the dawn of the industry you pick, not the dawn of time.

"Me am make tasty sparkly water! Me trade sparkly water for meat! Ugg!"

And so the soda industry was born.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:17:48 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I've been getting ideas in the meantime... are there any games that are set in the corporate world but play out like The Guild series? It'd be awesome to explore the depths of corporate ladder treachery, no?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I've been getting ideas in the meantime... are there any games that are set in the corporate world but play out like The Guild series? It'd be awesome to explore the depths of corporate ladder treachery, no?

That would make an awesome cyberpunk game!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

Nope.  But curiously strong minty breath is.

I think I'm going to give it another shot.

The gun is for if you're not man enough to kill yourself by chugging the whole tin of altoids and disintegrating your head.
Shoes...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

Well, there is Gangsters. I only ever played the second one and could not figure it out. It was rated very very low in PC gamer at the time (something like 55%), but it does deal with business fronts and bribery and the like.
Pages: [1] 2