Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: IDEA - Unofficial Code of Conduct (aka The 1776 Thread)  (Read 6187 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The 1776 of Bay 12: congress is now open
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:57 am »

Right. So much for alienating people.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 09:04:38 am »

Tip number two

Your tips are both infuriating and condescending. I disagree on the point that it is better then nothing. I believe it is at best just as good as nothing and at worst quite a bit worse then nothing.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 09:07:12 am »

Criptfeind, you're a dick.
Just wanted to say that for a long time.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 09:08:13 am »

Why are you even still here?

I thought you quit like 20 pages.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 09:08:45 am »

Tip number two

Your tips are both infuriating and condescending. I disagree on the point that it is better then nothing. I believe it is at best just as good as nothing and at worst quite a bit worse then nothing.
Criptfeind, you are still ignoring the OP, in which I clearly said that if you're just here to tell us we shouldn't be doing this... we don't want to hear from you.
This thread is for discussion of the code's content, not of its existence.  If you want to discuss the latter, make a meta-thread if you must.  Otherwise, please just get out as you are not contributing anything of value and are just annoying me and probably several others.  Dare I say it you are even... trolling.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:37 am »

Your tips are both infuriating and condescending.

How else would I reply? (inb4 "don't" lolololololol)

Honestly, it was just a few replies down the page. This is a good example of what's so irritating about all this; there are daily examples of people going "hey guise whats going on in this thread?" when the answer is right there in front of them.

soundandfury got in before me, but I'll post anyway. I liked my joke.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:35 am »

Because I'd like to see what happens in the aftermath of recent events.
I'm not participating in anything unrelated to that. And since everybody from IRC is still watching this...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:57 am »

And since everybody from IRC is still watching this...

Hush hush. We don't want the IRC to explode.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:57 am »

Yall right. I guess that is fair enough. I posted because, to my eyes, this is a attempt to control others and make them follow your way of thinking. You can understand, even if you don't agree with that, why I felt I had to post.

But if you wish me not to post in your thread because my opinions. I will leave.

(Although, I to be fair, you only added that rule after I started posting.)

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 09:13:48 am »

This is a good example of what's so irritating about all this; there are daily examples of people going "hey guise whats going on in this thread?" when the answer is right there in front of them.
Good point; how to word this to put it in the suggestions list?
DF Designer

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:10 am »

This situation is funny , because I feel nothing good will come from this thread, and that some bad thing could come out of it, but the guidelines of the op are basically forbidding me to speak my mind.

Oh well, here's my two cents anyway : Sound, the way you phrase your post may put you into trouble, because I can't make up my mind if you are, or not, advertising an openly rival forum. On the chart thing, I can't possibly see where you are going with that. I mean except for "don't troll", "don't make inane post" and "don't derail" (and "possibly don't bicker on moderator's decision"), what will you include in it (and you are supposed to adhere on these guidelines to join the forum anyway).

But you forbid to speak against your idea in the OP, which is in turn disturbing (and pretty frustrating).
I'm not sure that's the kind of guidelines an OP is allowed to give anyway.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:50 am »

Yall right. I guess that is fair enough. I posted because, to my eyes, this is a attempt to control others and make them follow your way of thinking. You can understand, even if you don't agree with that, why I felt I had to post.
As I have explained several times (but I will explain it again because it bears repeating), this is not an attempt to control anyone.  It is merely an attempt to make life easier on people who already follow a certain way of thinking by giving them something to nucleate around next time this argument breaks out.  Think "Dorsa Brevia" for those of you who have read KS Robinson's Mars trilogy.  It is secondarily an attempt to create something that people who dislike so-called "shitposting" but who occasionally succumb to it due to insufficient willpower can pledge to, since once you place in writing a statement of your intent to do something, it's much easier to hold yourself to it.

But if you wish me not to post in your thread because my opinions. I will leave.
The rule is in the OP, which you will notice has not been edited.  Please do not sling baseless accusations.  Please also do not portray this as some kind of freedom of speech issue.  What you're doing is like walking into a Liberal party conference and telling everyone that a) they should be more conservative and b) no matter what they write in their manifesto, conservatives will still be conservative so why bother?  (Example carefully chosen to not align with my own political opinions)
DF Designer

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:30 am »

As I have explained several times (but I will explain it again because it bears repeating), this is not an attempt to control anyone.  It is merely an attempt to make life easier on people who already follow a certain way of thinking by giving them something to nucleate around next time this argument breaks out.  Think "Dorsa Brevia" for those of you who have read KS Robinson's Mars trilogy.  It is secondarily an attempt to create something that people who dislike so-called "shitposting" but who occasionally succumb to it due to insufficient willpower can pledge to, since once you place in writing a statement of your intent to do something, it's much easier to hold yourself to it.

The rule is in the OP, which you will notice has not been edited.  Please do not sling baseless accusations.  Please also do not portray this as some kind of freedom of speech issue.  What you're doing is like walking into a Liberal party conference and telling everyone that a) they should be more conservative and b) no matter what they write in their manifesto, conservatives will still be conservative so why bother?  (Example carefully chosen to not align with my own political opinions)

So a few guideline to see what are bad and good post more effectively? That could actually be useful, I had a few trouble with that in the beginning, too.
Your post make everything much more clear.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:49 am »

One problem is its voluntary aspect; I don't fully understand what you're trying to achieve here, but when push comes to shove I don't know how many people would be willing to maintain this code.

And since everybody from IRC is still watching this...

Hush hush. We don't want the IRC to explode.

The IRC is not a bomb. It's not going to "explode" because you mention it.

Debate and outright hostility are not the same thing. Also, point out where exactly any one of us said so.

Differing opinions are fine - even encouraged - but when someone misunderstands what is going on here, of course you'd tell them that.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31:24 am »

This situation is funny , because I feel nothing good will come from this thread, and that some bad thing could come out of it, but the guidelines of the op are basically forbidding me to speak my mind.
No-one is stopping you setting up a meta-thread; I have already said that.  Personally I don't really see how anything bad could come of this thread, since all we're doing is creating a voluntary code of conduct - how can that hurt anyone?
DF Designer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7