Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: IDEA - Unofficial Code of Conduct (aka The 1776 Thread)  (Read 6216 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: The 1776 of Bay 12: congress is now open
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:59 am »

Yeah, I like the sound of that.

We should also add "Before you post, take a good few seconds to actually read your post, and see if it adds something worthwhile to the conversation."

If the post's just a quote plus "this", especially outside a forum game (which is probably the only time I'd actually use that, and sparingly), then don't post it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:17 am »

We should also add "Before you post, take a good few seconds to actually read your post, and see if it adds something worthwhile to the conversation."

That's going to be incredibly hard for many, but I'll try.

What about the others? Who else agrees with these? They're very basic, and therefore not too hard to follow.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:15:03 am by freeformschooler »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 08:10:04 am »

This reminds me all too much of that time VN declared independence, but with possibly better intentions.

Watching.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:10:25 am »

Yeah, I like the sound of that.

If the post's just a quote plus "this", especially outside a forum game (which is probably the only time I'd actually use that, and sparingly), then don't post it.
This.

Nah I'm kidding. But yeah.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:50 am »

Whilst I admire the intent here, I'll abstain for the same reason I abstain from religion; I can make my own policy, and make it better considering my circumstance than the official one.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:19 am »

I can agree with them. I do love the spontaneous derails, but not those consisting of posts-for-the-lulz and inane bickering to-and-fro.
Love, scriver~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:54 am »

What about the others? Who else agrees with these? They're very basic.

There are very basic "mistakes" (not quite the correct word, but you get the idea) being made in regards to posting etiquette.

I have no objections with what's been said herefar, at least.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:31 am »

Yup, that's a good rule, and partly what I was trying to get across with the first of mine.

Also to expand on what Taricus said earlier (and the PM exchange that led to it, hehe),
* Don't post just to say "Watching".  If you really can't use Notify, and you're interested enough in a thread to watch it, think of something constructive to add, and post that.  Then you get the Watching for free.
Thanks Barbarossa for reminding me of this by doing essentially that :)

Also Barbarossa, we're not declaring independence of the Forums or of Toady (although the Otherforums sort of are); we're declaring independence of the mass of meme-spreaders and contentless-posters.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 08:15:50 am »

Alright. I am very very spectacle about this doing... Anything. Seriously, you think people will stop doing things in their own threads just because it annoys some people.

And you have to wonder if it this would even be a good thing. Cause seriously, who gives a damn? You guys are whining that "oh no! Some people are having fun and we don't understand it! We must apparently read though all the posts then get angry that we read though all the posts!"

I, personally, don't give a flying flip about the little Japanese game meme that is flying around. So you know what? I don't pay attention to it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 08:17:29 am »

Seriously, you think people will stop doing things in their own threads just because it annoys some people.

I'd advise you re-read the OP.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:39 am »

Alright. I am very very spectacle about this doing... Anything. Seriously, you think people will stop doing things in their own threads just because it annoys some people.

And you have to wonder if it this would even be a good thing. Cause seriously, who gives a damn? You guys are whining that "oh no! Some people are having fun and we don't understand it! We must apparently read though all the posts then get angry that we read though all the posts!"

I, personally, don't give a flying flip about the little Japanese game meme that is flying around. So you know what? I don't pay attention to it.
Little tip: the word you're looking for is "sceptical" (or, in the US, "skeptical").

Now for the content: I think you've misunderstood our intent here.  I'm not trying to prevent people having fun, or even fun that we don't understand.  A thread about something silly or frivolous, even about a meme, is fine.  A thread that consists of a quote pyramid onto which each person appends another copy of the meme (hypothetical example) is a waste of space, and doesn't look too good to outsiders (this is Toady's presence on the web, after all), but is not up to us to decide about.

But hijacking a thread containing some sane discussion (even if it is discussion of frivolous ponies or some such) with the above quote pyramid... that's just not neighbourly.

Other participants here may have their own opinions on what we're trying to achieve here, but that's mine.

fakeedit: also what 3 said (I have been ninja'd, it seems).  Your attention is drawn specifically to the "Don't tell us to ignore it" bit.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:53 am »

Also to expand on what Taricus said earlier (and the PM exchange that led to it, hehe),
* Don't post just to say "Watching".  If you really can't use Notify, and you're interested enough in a thread to watch it, think of something constructive to add, and post that.  Then you get the Watching for free.
Thanks Barbarossa for reminding me of this by doing essentially that :)
I can't see why. "Watching" posts might not add anything to a topic, but they dont get in the way of discussion either. It's a tool for people who wants to be reminded of something happening in a thread but doesn't want dozens of useless emails if it happens to be a popular one.

[qoute]Also Barbarossa, we're not declaring independence of the Forums or of Toady (although the Otherforums sort of are); we're declaring independence of the mass of meme-spreaders and contentless-posters.[/qoute]
Don't make it sound like an "us against them". We are the spammers, and even if we aren't, such a mindset does not contribute anything good.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:38 am »

Seriously, you think people will stop doing things in their own threads just because it annoys some people.

I'd advise you re-read the OP.
Get real. We are not going to 'make new rules' here. We are just going to post around and then be surprised when the vast majority that had nothing to do with this thread don't go along with what a small subset of the forums wants to do.

This is a powerless dictatorship pretending to be a democracy. Which I find the idea of such both funny and sad.

Also, if you think this is the first time people have got all angry about the shit posting and rubbish that goes on you are hilariously mistaken. This comes up all the time, and even when you can get those people to admit to being wrong, nothing ever changes.

But hijacking a thread containing some sane discussion (even if it is discussion of frivolous ponies or some such) with the above quote pyramid... that's just not neighbourly.

Alright. Primary issue is... Derailing? What do you think you can do about it? Cause I see... Nothing.

I also do not see the issue here, but that might just be me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:13 am »

I don't think I have ever seen a major quote pyramid outside of the Games forum. And none of those had anything to do with any kind of meme.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:38 am »

I don't think I have ever seen a major quote pyramid outside of the Games forum. And none of those had anything to do with any kind of meme.

I've seen lots, but only in the upper boards, not here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7