Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!  (Read 15376 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is out. Spoilers ahoy!!
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:56 pm »

Yes, the one where he goes "Aristotle versus MASHY SPIKE PLATE!".
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:04 pm »

....I don't even remember that line....

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2011, 11:05:35 pm »

After the part where he kills you, I think, there's this spot where you reportal a funnel through a doorframe, and it happens shortly afterward as you're travelling along it.

The plate smashes you if you don't reportal the funnel to be below you, and then continues smashing the wall just behind you as you float out of range.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:09:38 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 26, 2011, 11:16:46 pm »

After the part where he kills you, I think, there's this spot where you reportal a funnel through a doorframe, and it happens shortly afterward as you're travelling along it.

The plate smashes you if you don't reportal the funnel to be below you, and then continues smashing the wall just behind you as you float out of range.

Oh, I remember that now.  Seriously though, it's pretty obvious that it's coming.
(How long has he been trying to kill you?)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »

Unless you wiggle left and right, greatly slowing your progress through the excursion funnel. In that case, the spike plate doesn't follow you, since you can move the funnel before you get close enough to trigger it's movement. Using the same tactic, you can get GLaDOS's voice out of sync with the launcher that launches you to the first spike trap.
Eh?
Eh!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2011, 12:16:33 pm »

Actually, now that I play through it again, I can see one LARGE advantage of the first game. Developer commentary. In the first game, you practically never had a half-level without at least some kind of developer tidbit. In P2, it's a lot like simply replaying the whole thing without saves, commentary nodes are few and far between. Perhaps they just had a lot less innovation and much more game to fill, but I would've appreciated more talk about the level design decisions, some of the scripted sequences, and just about anything, really. What little there is is indeed fun to listen to, mostly, but it's not enough. It's boring to just play through the same levels again after you know the answers.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

I think they should have put the "skip to next developer bubble" button back in.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:02 pm »

Actually, now that I play through it again, I can see one LARGE advantage of the first game. Developer commentary. In the first game, you practically never had a half-level without at least some kind of developer tidbit. In P2, it's a lot like simply replaying the whole thing without saves, commentary nodes are few and far between. Perhaps they just had a lot less innovation and much more game to fill, but I would've appreciated more talk about the level design decisions, some of the scripted sequences, and just about anything, really. What little there is is indeed fun to listen to, mostly, but it's not enough. It's boring to just play through the same levels again after you know the answers.

I noticed that, too. That said, there's two things to remember:

1) When Portal 1 came out, portals were new technology, and there were a heck of a lot of dev commentary nodes about how portals worked - how to simulate infinite depth, how to let you manipulate objects through a portal, how ceiling-to-ceiling transitions used to crash the game, etc. There was very little new added to the portal mechanics in Portal 2, mostly because portals already worked properly in every situation. Hence, nothing new to say!

2) Portal 2 is bigger, and the developers spread the commentary nodes throughout the levels. There's probably less content, but it's difficult to tell because it's spread so thinly across so many levels. Admittedly, it's a pity they didn't spend more time talking about the levels themselves - half the fun of the commentary is listening to confessions on previous, failed iterations of test chambers and the like - but then again, that would have got repetitive after the tenth "Well, this chamber used to be different, but it sucked, so we changed it."  ;)

I think they should have put the "skip to next developer bubble" button back in.

Hmm. I know they put that button in for the Co-op commentary (I think it's... Tab, maybe?). I found it by complete accident, and haven't bothered trying it in single-player.

I could also point out that the dev commentary nodes return to the density of Portal 1's commentary in the co-op sections. Yay for 10 nodes to a section!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Didn't pay attention, but it has to do with the render layers.  Wheatly (while carried) is basically part of your HUD and doesn't exist in the game world.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2011, 02:33:28 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »

I'd read this slash
Talk about a crack pairing, they have no mutual interests. What would they ever talk about?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:20 pm »

Chell/Gordon or ASHPD/GravGun? :P

Leonon - I suppose you mean muteual interests?..     bad pun, sorry.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:59 pm »

Too bad it's a damn plush. I'd want a metal/plastic one.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »

Too bad it's a damn plush. I'd want a metal/plastic one.
So do like half the commenters over there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15