Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Penal legions... Why not?  (Read 8586 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Penal legions... Why not?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2011, 06:08:19 am »

You know, the US military could use some live practice in not accidentally shooting innocents, while still taking out designated targets. Maybe that'd be a good way to get rid of "unreliable, surplus population".

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2011, 06:09:57 am »

You know, the US military could use some live practice in not accidentally shooting innocents, while still taking out designated targets. Maybe that'd be a good way to get rid of "unreliable, surplus population".
What.

This topic is dead now.

D-E-A-D.

LEAVE IT ALONE
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 06:18:34 am »

Hmm? Currently the US is wasting a lot of electricity and money on killing it's own citizens. If they're going to do it anyway, why not use them for something useful?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:21 am »

Because it's like shitting on the right of the prisoners.

"Ok you stole a car, now go get maimed."

Though, it have been done ; those kind of units were used for very dangerous missions, and to terrorize the populace.
It was at the glorious time when government had no problem about firring in the crow when the workers where on strike to gain the salary equivalent of a bag of onion by month.

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:51 am »

We still need that shop, though.
I would've given it a try, but I couldn't find any pictures of him sitting down ;)
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:10 am »

Pipe dream, only works if you send them to a place where we want to kill things.  Not friendly in any way with.  Also, if one chooses to escape, death rate must be astronomical due to 'natural' reasons.  And/or rig explosive collars..
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:57 am »

I can see it working on the same level as biowarfare (release a bunch of dangerous criminals into a country you're at war with, run like hell).  Obviously this isn't something we'd want to do in any conflicts at the moment, and it'd certainly be extremely questionable on ethical grounds.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:02 am »

release a bunch of dangerous criminals into a country you're at war with, run like hell
Actually, it remind me of Afghanistan, save you must change criminal for fanatics.

Has always been used, though : there is a reason why Germany got Lenine in Back in russia in an Armored train during WW1, and it worked, too. Of course they regretted it during WW2.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:47 am »

The only feasible scenario I can imagine is using death-row convicts for clearing minefields. Well, I guess you could also use them to get the enemy snipers to reveal their position.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2011, 10:43:14 am »

The only feasible scenario I can imagine is using death-row convicts for clearing minefields. Well, I guess you could also use them to get the enemy snipers to reveal their position.
There will come a day when we do not have the manpower nor the resources to flitter away.  In a galaxy far far away... It will happen.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2011, 11:33:30 am »

On the subject, of what to do with prisoners, there is another possibility that you all might be interested in.

Figures vary greatly, but from some googling, it appears that, in the US, the cost of imprisoning someone per year is £20,000 to £25,000.
In the UK is worse: the cost appears to range from £30,000 to £40,000 ($48,864 to $65,152) (though there was one source that claimed it was as high as £140,000 ($228032)).

Even if you only consider the lowest estimates, it is still a considerable amount of money. In modern countries, the costs of building and staffing prisons is very high.

The proposed solution: outsourcing. Find some country that has a low wage rate. Pay them money to house our prisoners. Not only will modern governments be able to save money by doing this, but the country where the prisons move to make a profit, and have jobs created.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:01 pm »

Because it's like shitting on the right of the prisoners.
And knowingly forcing them to stay in a place where rape and abuse is common, followed by (sometimes repeated) electrocution isn't? As I said, a country that is hell-bent on psychologicaly destroying or even outright killing a tenth of it's population might as well do something useful with them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:16 pm »

... America has 1/10th of its population imprisoned?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

Hmm, it appears to be "only" 0.75%, I must've remembered 10 promile and then get the scales mixed up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9