Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: message saying the king just arrived... but no king  (Read 1032 times)

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
message saying the king just arrived... but no king
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:16:08 pm »

I just got this message saying that my fortress is now the capital and that the king has arrived... but he is nowhere to be seen... There was also a wave of migrants, but none of them are nobles. Could one of them be the king?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:28:15 pm by San_A333 »

swampwater

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the working day
    • View Profile
Re: the king just arrived...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:28:34 pm »

in my experience the king has always arrived with his noble status clearly marked- a few times he's shown up on the map quite a bit before the rest of his entourage, so i suppose it's possible he could just as easily lag behind a bit. wait a little bit and check your unit list again?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:31:50 pm »

Check the unit list for any new dead dwarves.  He might have shown up then instantly died of old age.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

Well I have been waiting a half season, no still no King
Check the unit list for any new dead dwarves.  He might have shown up then instantly died of old age.
No deceased King as well

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 01:43:17 pm »

Check your civilization under the 'c'ivilization menu.  See if your civilization is even listed as having a king.  It's possibly that you triggered the conditions for having a king, but your civilization has no king, so you got the message but not king arrived.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »

Well I met the requirements for a capital for a long time already before I got the King message.

I just checked the civilisation list. There is only one dwarven civilisation on the list, and it says it got no leader :(

edit - have reloaded my game. It seems that the dwarven civilisation I am connected with has no king, and therefore he can't move to my place...

Shame, I had prepared massive royal apartments at the top of a tower!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 02:04:30 pm by San_A333 »

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: message saying the king just arrived... but no king
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:43:52 pm »

This seems to be quite common lately with the new version.

Whenever I generate a new map there is nearly always at least one listed Dwarf civilization which is non existant, I now make a habit of scrolling through the list and making sure the civ I pick has places shown on the world map.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 02:48:10 pm »

really shame...

How can I check this before I start a new game?

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 03:36:44 pm »

Gen a world and on the embark map screen, tab until the dwarf civilisations are listed. Press + and - to highlight each in turn while looking at the world map, the ones that show up as a group of icons on the map when selected are the ones you want. If you select a civ and nothing shows at all then you are selecting a dead civ, while you might still get migrants with them you will not get a monarch and the chances are that the envoy and caravan will also disappear after a couple of years.

Once you have embarked, press C, select your civ and hopefully you will see a monarch listed. (perhaps a general or others too)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:38:54 pm by Sir Crashalot »

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 03:46:29 pm »

And does the fact that in my current game (where the King was announced) the only listed dwarven kingdom that shows up has do leader mean that it is a dead civilisation ?

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »

Possibly, or the king died sometime during your game which is known to happen too.
Once you have embarked, you will only be able to view the civ you chose to embark with which is why you cannot see the other Drarven civs on the C menu.

One thing you could try is to back up your save game then abandon your fort so you can go back to the embark screen and have a look.

Edit: Another way to check is to press escape and choose "export local image", this will put several files in your DF disectory, one of which will be the parameters for that world. Copy the parameters and paste them into your world gen text file (data/init) then start DF, select create custom world and select the world you added which should generate an almost exact replica of the world you are playing on so you can see how things were before you embarked.

Sadly, none of this will help with your current game though it might help you to be better prepared for future forts.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:04:44 pm by Sir Crashalot »

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:11:18 pm »

And does the fact that in my current game (where the King was announced) the only listed dwarven kingdom that shows up has do leader mean that it is a dead civilisation ?

Or, think of it this way, you revived a dead civilization, and now your Duke is the King. Move him into the royal suites and nickname him 'The King.'

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 05:20:24 pm »

@GhostDwemer
Nah, I am affraid it's not going to motivate me ;)

@Sir Crashalot
So I have exported the parameters and copy/paste them at the top of the file "world_gen.txt" but when I creat a new world it seems it generates an entire new map (or maybe I should create a new world with adv. param., but i'm not sure how to use it). What kind of information should I get btw? I should be able to know if the civilisation I started with didn't exist?

Thx a lot for your help