Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 4x games suggestions  (Read 5023 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 4x games suggestions
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:37:34 pm »

I would definitely recommend Aurora, but to be bluntly honest I find it twice as hard to get into as Dwarf Fortress. Once you're into it, however, you can pull marathons on that game and not get bored.

I do suggest however if you have severe interface issues, as in you cannot stand poor interfaces or poor instruction, to probably stay away from Aurora.

While you can stumble around the menus in Aurora, getting things done is often an unreasonably difficult task.

Though I hear the rewards for actually learning Aurora is great.

I do warn though that even after you learn to play it, it is a huge time absorber with VERY slow turns.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:31 pm »

I learned how to play Aurora, but gave it up after I realized I was spending six hours a day editing text files.

EDIT: For economy 4X games that aren't too complicated, check out the X3 series, particularly Terran Conflict. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 12:06:52 am »

I learned how to play Aurora, but gave it up after I realized I was spending six hours a day editing text files.

SHHHHH, do you want to be shot?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:11 am »

omg so controversial =D

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 05:22:34 am »

Armada 2526 Supernova just came out. It is pretty bland in my opinion, but some people seem to like it. Sword of the Stars is a fun space 4X, but yeah, it is mostly focused on battles even though trading is the main money maker in the game. Distant Worlds - already mentioned - is kind of nice. Then there are always space trading games like X-series and Smugglers, though they are not 4X as such. You can win peacefully through economy in Distant Worlds and Armada 2526, but the chances are you'll get dragged into wars during the game.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 07:18:02 am »

EDIT: For economy 4X games that aren't too complicated, check out the X3 series, particularly Terran Conflict. It sounds exactly what you're looking for.

I don't know if the X3 series can be considered an X4. It's on a MUCH smaller scale...

Distant worlds

Does this game sells in any other site than the distributor, aka: Steam, Impulse, Gamers Gate or GoG? I refuse to buy Digital Dowload games where I lose my right to download my games after some time.

Back to suggestions: I seriously recommends galactic Civilizations. While it doesn't have multiplayer, the AI is freaking awesome. As in, really freaking awesome.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:23:23 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »

Distant worlds

Does this game sells in any other site than the distributor, aka: Steam, Impulse, Gamers Gate or GoG? I refuse to buy Digital Dowload games where I lose my right to download my games after some time.

I wasn't aware that those sources will stop your ability to download your games given an amount of time. The only way to contravene this it seems is to buy the game directly from the site, albeit at a cost close to 400% than what I've seen in the GG, the boxed version is ~50$ there.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/DistantWorlds

Back to suggestions: I seriously recommends galactic Civilizations. While it doesn't have multiplayer, the AI is freaking awesome. As in, really freaking awesome.

Galactic Civilizations didn't really have that much depth to the economy, there are no resources to speak of, and the sole purpose of the economy in that game seems to be to feed the engine of war.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »

Distant worlds

I wasn't aware that those sources will stop your ability to download your games given an amount of time. The only way to contravene this it seems is to buy the game directly from the site, albeit at a cost close to 400% than what I've seen in the GG, the boxed version is ~50$ there.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/379/details/DistantWorlds
The contrary actually. In the ones I listed, my download does not "expire", while in the Matrix Games site, it only lasts a month:

From http://www.matrixgames.com/store/ :
What is a Digital Download?
Our Digital Download service sends you a download link to the master game file once your order is complete. You can use this link to download the game directly to your computer over the internet and start playing right away. The download is available to you for thirty days after your order. No shipping is involved and the game is immediately available for you once the order is complete.
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »

Solution: download it the first time, and immediately copy it onto as many alternate storage devices as possible.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 06:17:57 pm »

This reminds me that Paradox should really make a sci-fi game...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »

Solution: download it the first time, and immediately copy it onto as many alternate storage devices as possible.

Yeah, I could do that if I absolutely had to download the game. But I refuse to buy games from digital distribution from distributors who don't allow me to re download at will on the principle of it.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »

The contrary actually. In the ones I listed, my download does not "expire", while in the Matrix Games site, it only lasts a month:

Ah, whoops, misread you there.

Edit: On that note, it seems you are correct, there doesn't seem to be any other distributor other than Matrix games. On top of that, compared to distributors like GG, D2D, and Steam they are grossly uncompetitive with their pricing. The only thing they seem to have going for them is the exclusivity of their games, which more or less fits into a very small niche market of hard core strategy gamers.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:49:29 pm by Flare »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:01 pm »

You get the rights to downloading it for 30 days? What the fuck is this? Its enough to make my inner self scream.
Pages: 1 [2]