Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 461032 times)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #2940 on: January 27, 2014, 10:15:03 pm »

On the subject of funky stuff. RJD2-Good Times Roll pt2 and Ghostwriter
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: January 27, 2014, 11:11:34 pm »

Whoah. Just realised I actually had a Parliament compilation briefly as a kid. :o
Didn't really appeal to me too much back then, funk music seemed too directionless. I hadn't unlocked my inner boogie or somethin'.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: January 30, 2014, 01:00:50 am »

Discovered this album as a free download on Bandcamp.com a few days ago.  It's some very decent metal.

Tungsten - The Reservoir
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: January 30, 2014, 06:42:22 am »

Discovered this album as a free download on Bandcamp.com a few days ago.  It's some very decent metal.

Tungsten - The Reservoir
That's some good prog, man. Reminds me of something, but I can't remember what. Have this weird-ass feeling of nostalgia for no reason at all.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: January 30, 2014, 07:42:26 am »

Tungsten - The Reservoir
That's some good prog, man. Reminds me of something, but I can't remember what. Have this weird-ass feeling of nostalgia for no reason at all.

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the quality.  They sound like a fairly mature band, but they've only been touring together for a couple years, don't think they have any support from a label, and this is their first album completely self-produced.  It's only been out a couple weeks.  Everyone with any interest in metal should definitely check them out, because they have almost no recognition right now.  They've got that friendly garage band feel to them right now, even.  I posted on their Facebook page lastnight, asking if their lyrics were available anywhere, and they posted them on the bandcamp page two hours later.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: January 30, 2014, 07:57:01 am »

Tungsten - The Reservoir

Yeah, I'm really impressed with the quality.  They sound like a fairly mature band, but they've only been touring together for a couple years, don't think they have any support from a label, and this is their first album completely self-produced.  It's only been out a couple weeks.  Everyone with any interest in metal should definitely check them out, because they have almost no recognition right now.  They've got that friendly garage band feel to them right now, even.  I posted on their Facebook page lastnight, asking if their lyrics were available anywhere, and they posted them on the bandcamp page two hours later.
Though I'm slightly ashamed about downloading the album for free, and I have no virtual cash whatsoever now. Maybe I'll dump some roubles into my card and buy it.
Currently being impressed by the lead guitar in El Dolor. It rocks.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: January 30, 2014, 08:34:56 am »

Tungsten - The Reservoir

You can hear their influences easily. And it's cool they have a female singer, that's not that common for that kind of music.

They can write good riffs, and are technically amazing, but the songs as a whole don't really work that well for me. They are... indistinct. They are good but they aren't memorable. I'm afraid you could splice a couple parts from different songs on the album and nobody would notice. The U2 Syndrome, basically.

Now, this might be because it's my first listening, and sometimes I need a song to grow on me, but this might be another thing. I'm getting a vibe these guys went 'We want to make progressive metal' and worked from there - check their influences, it's Every Prog Metal Band's Influences Since 1989 (TM).

Now, this is a guess, but I think they won't get big. Their page claims they are innovative, but I beg to differ - they are original but they are not innovative.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:27 am »

Tungsten - The Reservoir

You can hear their influences easily. And it's cool they have a female singer, that's not that common for that kind of music.

They can write good riffs, and are technically amazing, but the songs as a whole don't really work that well for me. They are... indistinct. They are good but they aren't memorable. I'm afraid you could splice a couple parts from different songs on the album and nobody would notice. The U2 Syndrome, basically.

Now, this might be because it's my first listening, and sometimes I need a song to grow on me, but this might be another thing. I'm getting a vibe these guys went 'We want to make progressive metal' and worked from there - check their influences, it's Every Prog Metal Band's Influences Since 1989 (TM).

Now, this is a guess, but I think they won't get big. Their page claims they are innovative, but I beg to differ - they are original but they are not innovative.
Yup. However, there's nothing wrong with some porridge before your lutefisk, so to speak, and this is some quality porridge right there. I don't think they'll get big either, but they're certainly worth a few megs of space on my mp3 player.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:04 am »

Tungsten - The Reservoir

Yup. However, there's nothing wrong with some porridge before your lutefisk, so to speak, and this is some quality porridge right there. I don't think they'll get big either, but they're certainly worth a few megs of space on my mp3 player.

Yeah, I can stand by calling them quality porridge. Plus, there is always Early Installment Weirdness to consider - after all, the very first album of Rush, who they cite as an influence, was pretty much a Led Zeppelin clone.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:27 pm »

I have discovered a great love for chiptune, especially stuff like Anamanaguchi (<3) or Adhesive Wombat.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:24 pm »

I'd also agree with the above.  It's basically a case of "if you like this genre, this will be pleasant padding for your library".  I just think that alone is impressive for a band of their status.  The production quality is great for a total DIY project, which shows talent.  I also think their singer sounds fairly distinctive.

Looking through most of the metal bands I love, their first couple albums are horrible compared to everything after.  van Canto, for example, is one of my favorite bands, but I don't even listen to their first album at all ever.  It sounds like it was recorded in a rubber garbage can, and most of the arrangements sound pretty clumsy.  I don't know what it is about the genre, but it seems like it takes longer for most bands to find their identity and get really good at making stuff that sounds polished and cohesive.  Maybe it's because your electronic, pop, alternative, etc stuff is easier to lean on a talented front person, because most musical elements are designed 95% of the time to play support to the hook and just bleed together in the background.  I think metal is more demanding on every performer, and it's more obvious if it doesn't all work together well.

So it's unlikely that they'll go big, but I'd say they have a shot.  If they can find some new territory of their own to strike out into, they'll have a really good shot.  Either way, I expect them to be more successful than your average self-producing local act.

I have discovered a great love for chiptune, especially stuff like Anamanaguchi (<3) or Adhesive Wombat.

If you're just getting into chiptunes, I highly recommend this.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:36:23 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: January 30, 2014, 01:38:37 pm »

If you're just getting into chiptunes, I highly recommend this.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »

I am quite impressed by Adhesive Wombat, even though I'm not usually into electronic music.
On an unrelated note, this is by a Russian folk band called Melnitsa ("Windmill"). In my opinion, their tracks are evenly divided into "cool" and "too sappy." I'll just post this here because I'd like to know what does Russian sound like to an outside observer, so to speak.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »

I am quite impressed by Adhesive Wombat, even though I'm not usually into electronic music.
On an unrelated note, this is by a Russian folk band called Melnitsa ("Windmill"). In my opinion, their tracks are evenly divided into "cool" and "too sappy." I'll just post this here because I'd like to know what does Russian sound like to an outside observer, so to speak.

You mean the language or the sound or what?
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 385