Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Watter barrels.  (Read 1696 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Watter barrels.
« on: April 16, 2011, 09:53:03 am »

The idea is so straightforward that I PURGE!!!

Simply put, it should be possible to fill them with watter. A barrel would be able to hold 7 units of watter. I am sick of my dwarves dying of dehydration.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Watter barrels.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 09:55:34 am »

Then make barrels of booze...? Still, good idea.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:59 am »

What about having the ability to crack open my booze barrels to make a booze deathtrap.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:31 am »

This is both a common suggestion that has been on the board for years, and it was on the old devpage, and is presumably still a part of Toady's plans. 

Quote from: old devpage
Bloat360, OTHER WATER SOURCES, (Future): There should be various additional ways to obtain water. Rain, filling barrels from streams, simple desalination, etc.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »

letting the barrel hold 7/7 water might be a little exploitable. e.g. you dump 100 barrels of 7/7 water in a quantum stockpile, and have 700 units of water in that square, while dwarves are still able to pass through the square normally. There's no way a pile of barrels in a passable square should hold more water than filling the entire 1x1x1 space with water.

I do like the general idea of water barrels, but they should hold no more than 4 water i think. Maybe a solution would be that you have to 'b'uild the water barrel (thus taking up a full square), and then fill or empty it using buckets, thus making it impossible to quantum-stockpile.

It'd be nice if the liquids in the game we're more moddable, e.g. combine liquid definitions for water and magma into the raws, then Toady (or modders) could easily add liquids such as underground oil, even rivers of beer, ale, or chocolate!

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 05:36:42 pm »

It'd be nice if the liquids in the game we're more moddable, e.g.   combine liquid definitions for water and magma into the raws, then Toady   (or modders) could easily add liquids such as underground oil, even   rivers of beer, ale, or chocolate!

Or magma!
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:00:22 pm »

It'd be nice if the liquids in the game we're more moddable, e.g.   combine liquid definitions for water and magma into the raws, then Toady   (or modders) could easily add liquids such as underground oil, even   rivers of beer, ale, or chocolate!

Or magma!
We could probably do Magma rivers right now by hacking tiles, I'm not sure i get the point, if there is one other than shouting "Magma!"

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:30 pm »

7 units of water would mean that they would have to have the same volume as a square in game. They should hold the same amount as booze barrels do.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 06:07:03 pm »

Or magma!
We could probably do Magma rivers right now by hacking tiles, I'm not sure i get the point, if there is one other than shouting "Magma!"

More magma.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »

Watter?
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Setharnas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:47:21 pm »

Obsidian.
(Appreciatingly stolen from thijser)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »

Good addition when mugs get a use, build a barrel as a piece of furniture, set to to what type of liquid to hold, dwarves will take from if it's closer and refill when needed.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:55 pm »

Pretty much perfect.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:16:27 pm »

what would happen if volcanoes, magma pipes and the magma sea was filled with water and rivers, the underground, lakes and oceans were filled with magma/lava
nothing

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »

During winters, magma would turn into obsidian and melt back in the spring. Volcanoes would be much more bearable. You could make a powerful water pressure cannon that shoots far higher than about 5 tiles in Z.
And last but not the least.
You forgot the rain. Why? ???
Pages: [1] 2