Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bees?  (Read 1932 times)

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
Bees?
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:18 am »

So I've got a little room full of hives in my fortress with bees buzzing all over.  My beekeeper kept going in there and doing his job and he and his dog kept getting stung, which is pretty funny.  But what I'm wondering is, is it possible to do a sort of Wicker Man (hilarious Nick Cage version) thing where you set up a bee corridor to funnel invaders through so that they get stung a whole bunch?  I haven't been able to test it and figured somebody would probably already know by now.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:38 am »

I've been thinking of this as well, but I think since they're vermin, they need their raws modded before they can do anything.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:40:54 am by dirty foot »

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:40:53 am »

Even if it won't work as a part of fortress defense, it can't detract from the fun you can get from putting a statue in there, making it a meeting area and then locking the door once the party starts.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:45:04 am »

Even if it won't work as a part of fortress defense, it can't detract from the fun you can get from putting a statue in there, making it a meeting area and then locking the door once the party starts.
I'm thinking you can mod the raws to change the syndrome the sting gives.

You might regret that though, considering they can also sting your men.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:42:09 am »

lol...i remember some thread talking about bees like, a month ago, and someone reference something homer simpson said

"what, are you gonna send the hounds, with bee's in their mouth's, and when they bark the bee's shoot out"

i think people were trying to figure out how to do that in df >.> that, is far more amusing then wickerman style stuff, dog's that bark bee's at people

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:02:41 am »

lol...i remember some thread talking about bees like, a month ago, and someone reference something homer simpson said

"what, are you gonna send the hounds, with bee's in their mouth's, and when they bark the bee's shoot out"

i think people were trying to figure out how to do that in df >.> that, is far more amusing then wickerman style stuff, dog's that bark bee's at people
You have to applaud the suaveness of making goblins die from a thousand bee stings. With enough of them, you could probably damage organs, their syndrome does cause swelling and pain.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:31:14 am »

Your best bet may be to make goblins fall into your bee hive array. Either with a drawbridge trap or a "dodge me" corridor.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

golden joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:23 am »

Beads!?

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 05:59:42 am »

Well I was looking in stocks and noticed I have 117000 bees.  Seems like I could use them for something mean.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 06:27:44 am »

...is it possible to do a sort of Wicker Man (hilarious Nick Cage version) thing...

Forgive the derail, but they didn't, did they?  I must have missed that one.  Thank god.

I'm seeing the posts for the upcoming Arthur remake, and just know it'll be awfully bad compared to the original.

(Just thought how Michael Caine has been the victim of a number of remakes.  The Italian Job was probably better for not being a rehash of the original but a largely different film with just the name and mini-theme, but Alfie and Get Carter.  I suppose the Sleuth remake worked as well, but then it had Caine in it the second time round as well...  Ok, so ignore this totally unwarranted fixation on Cainesian remakes, especially as he had nothing to do with Arthur or The Wicker Man.  That objection aside, let's just see if Hollywood does anything with Zulu, The Man Who Would Be King or The Eagle Has Landed, eh? :) )

[/derail]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 08:41:30 am »

1. Pit o' Bees
2. Dodge This! about 6 z-levels above, enough to break legs at most.
3. ????
4. Invaders subjected to years of torment.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 11:11:11 am »

I wonder if one of them is Eric?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

Since Bees are [VERMIN_MICRO], meaning they act as a swarm of thousands instead of individuals, editing their raws to NOT be that is highly inadvisable unless you're talking about making a NEW creature only BASED on the bee.  You really don't want 10,000 non-vermin bees roaming around your map.  Their numbers would quickly overwhelm the object counts for any map and make your endeavor not only pointless, but suicidal (imagine having bees EVERYWHERE over EVERYTHING, and not being able to breed any food animals or grow any trees).

However, I have been thinking of ways to make bees more deadly.  Specifically, giving them [PRONE_TO_RAGE:50] and a more serious syndrome for their stings.

I'd have a separate vermin bee, much more rare, for this.  [SAVAGE], too.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 02:05:32 pm »

If I were to do Wicker Man related shenanigans, I'd much prefer to have people run out of the woods in bear suits and randomly punch people.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 02:13:43 pm »

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2