Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We need Steve Irwin over here.  (Read 973 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We need Steve Irwin over here.
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:19:43 pm »

Okay, fort attacked by 3rd forgotten beast, 4th of it's time for me ever so far. This one was yet ANOTHER crocodile. It had deadly dust.

Long story short, I went from a population of atounf 100 to 20, half of which is children. Blood and bodies everywhere. Up to this point I haven't seen a single forgotten beast, but this one fortress seems to get one everytime I turn around. Which is normal? Should I rage that I'm ebing smacked every year with a new forgotten beast, or wonder why I didn't get any before?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We need Steve Irwin over here.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 05:21:50 pm »

Edit the raws for children so they become adults super fast, go into lock down and it's time for a last stand!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

Alternately, MOD STEVE IRWIN IN.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »

Edit the raws for children so they become adults super fast, go into lock down and it's time for a last stand!

Oh I'm safe for now. It cost 80+ dwarven lives, but that damn crocodile got brought down. And butchered. I've sense closed my base off from the outside world, and am begining the process of cleaning the blood and burying the dead.
Legacy of Insightshields

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »

Oh I'm safe for now. It cost 80+ dwarven lives, but that damn crocodile got brought down. And butchered. I've sense closed my base off from the outside world, and am begining the process of cleaning the blood and burying the dead.

...You're going to power wash your fort with the local brook/stream/river aren't you?
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

lol, I wish. I don't know enough about pumps and drainage and whatnot to do that, so I gotta do it the old fashioned way. Atleast the survivors aren't unhappy. One guy is, but I can deal with that.
Legacy of Insightshields

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 05:29:10 pm »

Chances are he can't... and chances are he's the father of most of the kids and those kids WILL not like it when he goes beserk... ohhhh nooo.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »

Chances are he can't... and chances are he's the father of most of the kids and those kids WILL not like it when he goes beserk... ohhhh nooo.

Actually, he's the last survivor of a group of migrants that came in right as the beast showed up. Instantly drafted and sent to their deaths.
Legacy of Insightshields

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:31:24 pm »

"Hey guys I'm here with all my friends, we're pretty useless and all but I'm sure we can he-OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT"

Ironically, their value probably went up with every death...

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:10 pm »

I'm just hoping I don't get ANOTHER FB before I can get this place back stable. My miners ave been turned into carpenters and masons. It's degrading.

Edit: Migrant went berserk. Killed 2 children and a miner. Working on containing it. Brb.

Edit2: Well. Brandmountains is on it's final legs. The berserker, being a miner, started slaughtering survivors with his copper pick. Very few remain now, and the ones that are alive are injured severely, or are children and babies.

The berserker was brought down by the one person in my fortress I considered worthless. My baroness. She approached the psycho, unarmored and bare handed. First I assume she tried reasoning, when they failed.. more aggressive means were implimented.

Here she is, right after the fact.  Surrounded by blood. The berserker's copper pick lodged in her lower body. Dying. No doctor to save her, no nurse to remove the embedded weapon. The children are scared, but can only wait.

[The -probably- fatal end to the combat.]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 05:49:03 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Legacy of Insightshields

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »

Whenever my forts show evidence of severe unhappiness and tantrumming, I mandate happiness. Happiness is mandatory. If the dwarves are unhappy and tantruming, they are problems to be solved by my problem solvers.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 06:40:17 pm »

Up to this point I haven't seen a single forgotten beast, but this one fortress seems to get one everytime I turn around. Which is normal? Should I rage that I'm ebing smacked every year with a new forgotten beast, or wonder why I didn't get any before?

How often has your population gotten over 80?  You need at least 80 dorfs, OR an exported wealth of 100,000 to trigger titans and semi/megabeasts.  If this is only the 2nd time you've met the conditions, it's normal.  I usually have a popcap of 50, and don't get random critters invading until I've done a lot of trading (4-5 years, with fat profit margins).

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 06:48:36 pm »

My fortresses normall get to over 1 million welath and round 150 population before I get bored and make another.
Legacy of Insightshields

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:17 pm »

Exported wealth, not created, but the pop should fit.  I guess it's just the vagaries of the RNG (Random Number God Generator).  Whether it's good luck or bad depends on how much you like FUN.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »

Exported wealth, not created, but the pop should fit.  I guess it's just the vagaries of the RNG (Random Number God Generator).  Whether it's good luck or bad depends on how much you like FUN.

JMZ
Two forgotten beasts and two sieges plus a Minotaur within TWO SEASONS one fort.
Pages: [1] 2