Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Women In The Infantry  (Read 22816 times)

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Women In The Infantry
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »

They should just stop using BMI, as it is useless.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2011, 12:07:12 am »

I concur. Go tell the army that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2011, 02:52:12 am »

All this talk of gender differences in body mass and muscles is pretty disingenuous. You don't have to be super trained to be a soldier, just fit enough. Far from all are suited for it, but that applies to both genders. There's no practical reason to bar women from the army, only entrenched attitude.

The women who do join up do so because they really want to, and feel they have something to prove, like some people in this thread show they apparently do. A lot of them end up as officers since they're driven and highly motivated.

One issue that I haven't seen come up is the matter of public support. The military looks bad enough when a male soldier is killed; I imagine that a female soldier being killed will have a much worse effect.

One of those killed in the attack on that UN office in Afghanistan was a female Norwegian Lt. Colonel. Haven't noticed any debate over women in the military because of it. Hell, I think it might actually increase recruitment.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:26 am »

Also. Hair. Presumably everyone still has to comply to the hair regulations, yes?
Are you trolling?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2011, 07:10:08 am »

Anyway, women that join the military know the risks. They are big enough to decide for or against going into combat units, your very patronizing for their own well being is incredibly sexist. And Urist is dead tome, don't assume anything about my agenda or don't be surprised when people assume things about yours.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:33 am »

Also. Hair. Presumably everyone still has to comply to the hair regulations, yes?
Are you trolling?
No. It would help hide the femininity of women slightly more in the field, I suppose.  I don't see why they wouldn't have to, for the same reasons men have to.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:20 am »

Are you trolling?
No. It would help hide the femininity of women slightly more in the field, I suppose.  I don't see why they wouldn't have to, for the same reasons men have to.
They cut it short just to shoulder length (aunt is career sergeant in airforce)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:48 am »

That's not a very good reason. You're committing the same fallacy people make when they argue that only men should be allowed in the military because they tend to be stronger.

You didn't understand what I was saying. I said that human war is not dependent on brute force and physical strength (how many troops engage in hand to hand combat these days?), so those qualities are nearly irrelevant. So therefore, women are just as qualified as men to be infantry.

The Marine Corps infantry has to carry on average one-hundred pounds. Strength is even more important than it used to be. What about carrying a pack then an IED goes off? You have to pick up a 135 pound (that is the bare minimum. Any Marine who weighs this much should seriously put on some muscle), man (or woman), and carry them to safety. Usually you will be carrying much heavier people, too.

So yeah, strength is hugely relevant.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2011, 08:39:09 am »

Yep, but even if women are on average weaker than men, a lot of women are strong enough to do that. Why shouldn't they be allowed to serve?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2011, 08:45:19 am »

Yep, but even if women are on average weaker than men, a lot of women are strong enough to do that. Why shouldn't they be allowed to serve?

Because Muslim extremists pretty much never surrender to women. And in this kind of war we need to interrogate people to get information.

Anyway, women that join the military know the risks. They are big enough to decide for or against going into combat units, your very patronizing for their own well being is incredibly sexist. And Urist is dead tome, don't assume anything about my agenda or don't be surprised when people assume things about yours.

Sorry about how that came out but you really seem to dislike America. Loudly.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2011, 08:51:48 am »

And, from reading that lawsuit, lie detectors.  They aren't much better than flipping a coin if the person your interrogating stays calm.

Because Muslim extremists pretty much never surrender to women. And in this kind of war we need to interrogate people to get information.
And Muslim extremists pretty much never surrender to men.  Your point?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:15 am »

And, from reading that lawsuit, lie detectors.  They aren't much better than flipping a coin if the person your interrogating stays calm.

And Muslim extremists pretty much never surrender to men.  Your point?

Far more likely to. But that doesn't mean the chances are good.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:12 am »

So I suppose you've got a detailed study showing the relative likelihood of a Muslim extremist surrendering to a man and an equally wellbuilt, threatening woman, then?

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:50 am »

The Marine Corps infantry has to carry on average one-hundred pounds. Strength is even more important than it used to be. What about carrying a pack then an IED goes off? You have to pick up a 135 pound (that is the bare minimum. Any Marine who weighs this much should seriously put on some muscle), man (or woman), and carry them to safety. Usually you will be carrying much heavier people, too.

So yeah, strength is hugely relevant.

So? What is the problem exactly? My mother can carry 110 pounds sandbag and she's 62. Both sisters of mine have trained with the para and they are civilian (they were prety heavily into martial arts when they were younger). Sorry to disrupt your testosterone filled dream but 135 pounds is not an huge problem for a well exercised girl. And neither is 150.

Quote from: Phmcw on Today at 07:10:08 am

Sorry about how that came out but you really seem to dislike America. Loudly.

Nope I pointed out a pretty strong problem that have your army. You may not like to hear about it but it's not  exactly and obscure or undocumented issue, and having more women among your rank could really help to clear it out.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2011, 10:07:01 am »

Honestly, to reply to an earlier comment, I've never really been a fan of gender segregated bathrooms. I understand that they exist because people on both sides want them to, but I never really got them.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with using single facilities in the military. but obviously it bothers a lot of people, so I don't know.

(What really confuses me is single room segregated bathrooms. Seriously, its a room with a toilet, why do you need one for each gender?)

But I guess that's mostly off topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26