Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A couple trading suggestions  (Read 864 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A couple trading suggestions
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:14 pm »

I know all of these have been mentioned before, but I thought it would be good to remind Toady that at least one player actually wants them:

1) A trade designation. It's really annoying that I have to hit enter 180 times to trade mugs three times a year.

2) More control over job prioritization. It's quite annoying that not only my broker, but my entire freaking fortress will not trade unless I suspend every other task in the fortress. It's even more annoying when I have to un-trade 120 of those 180 mugs because the little dummies didn't get around to getting those mugs to the depot and all my available dwarves insist that finishing those 120 jobs is more important then trading.

If you're counting, that means every time some idiot throws a party during trading season that's 420 enters. 180 when the caravan arrives, +120 when the broker insists on finishing the hauling, and another 120 when he actually gets to the depot.

3) When my hypothetical broker arrives to trade the 60 mugs that got to the depot I have to hit enter 60 more times. When you're trading there should be a way to tell the game to offer everything you've brought for trade.

4) Wood items should be red on the trade list. Most of the time I can avoid trading the elves something wood, but every now and then I forget those stupid useless extracts are in wood barrels, or a gobbo shirt has some wood decorations.

---

So Toady, while you're working on the other cool stuff to make trading better, you think you could do these? In theory they shouldn't be hard. The Trade designation stuff, for example, should be able to recycle code from the Melt designation, items you're banned from exporting by nobles are already purple, etc.

As is I spend most of my playing time managing this sort of crap, which makes it really hard for me to sustain interest in the game.

Nick

Dwarfinator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A couple trading suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:51:58 pm »

You could just use metal bins to transport all of your mugs to the Depot.  :o
Mwah ha ha ha ha....

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

Bins help.

ninja'd!? HOW? I typed two words.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:19 pm »

Bins help.

ninja'd!? HOW? I typed two words.

Apparently, you were three minutes, twelve seconds slower than him.  Either you are a very slow typist, or there was a problem with the computer not updating things quite fast enough.

EDIT:
Oh, and the last time this came up in a suggestion thread, someone mentioned that you can just make a macro of "down, enter, down, enter, down, enter, etc." and spam that.  If you select a wooden bin, then select the items inside the bin, they automatically deselect the bin itself.  (That doesn't mean you don't have to watch for wooden decorations, though...)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:47:02 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:51 pm »

You could just use metal bins to transport all of your mugs to the Depot.  :o
Bins can help.

But they've got problems.

The biggest is that when you get nobles the tend to ban certain exports, such as splints, and if your bin with the 5,000 gold goblet happens to share a bin with a splint you have to turn "culling on mandates" off. Then you have to remember not to sell the damn splint.

Another is they force you to use stockpiles, which have ridiculous defaults (see above: with a splint in the same bin as mugs), take up significant real estate, and generate job-spam.

And after all that you've still got hit enter dozens of times.

Nick

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »

1)macro? Bins?
2)suggested
3)make macro (see wiki for details)
4)suggested
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.