Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corpses and butchery: A "Butcher: yes" tag on Corpses please?  (Read 1413 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am struggling a lot with butchering, and some of it could be helped by a simple information displayed on a corpse: Butcherable. IF it is not present, I cant butcher. Right now its a blind guessing game whether or not a corpse can be butchered due to tame/wild/starvation/too small and other variables that are totally opaque.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Corpses and butchery: A "Butcher: yes" tag on Corpses please?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:35:41 am »

Yeah, this is a problem for me too.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:59:21 pm »

Definitely an annoyance. Raise your hand if you've had a hauler take his time dragging the corpse to the stockpile, and the the butcher takes HIS time getting to the butcher's shop, and the corpse is rotten now to the idiot can't even strip off the flesh and take the bones.
Me too. Ugh.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:07 pm »

Well, you're not getting any meat off it anyway, so why not wait until the remains of the meat are all gone? I wouldn't want to butcher something rotten when the bones are still going to be there later.
That isn't quite what the OP's talking about though.

The problem here is not with the game witholding the butcher status of a creature, but with its decision to not butcher it in the first place. The only variable that's really opaque is the size one; the rest can be discerned by looking at the creature in question's corpse.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:55 pm »

Good idea
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 05:17:28 pm »

Well, you're not getting any meat off it anyway, so why not wait until the remains of the meat are all gone? I wouldn't want to butcher something rotten when the bones are still going to be there later.
That isn't quite what the OP's talking about though.

The problem here is not with the game witholding the butcher status of a creature, but with its decision to not butcher it in the first place. The only variable that's really opaque is the size one; the rest can be discerned by looking at the creature in question's corpse.
A.) So that I don't have to remember to butcher it when it decays.
B.) I know it's off topic, but it is also not my point. It's not something I suggest adding with this, it's another little shred of annoyance that comes without it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:52 am »

I thought butchery of eligible skeletons was automatic as well?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 06:42:27 am »

Butchery of dead corpses is automatic?
Sig

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:57 am »

Butchery of dead corpses is automatic?
Yes.

For bodies that were hauled to refuse stockpile or which were killed by hunter.

If there are bodies in refuse and butchers shop does not have automatically queued butcher dead animal task, you can safely get rid of them because they are useless.