Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scarse lignite/bituminous coal is scarse...  (Read 2479 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Scarse lignite/bituminous coal is scarse...
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:50:40 pm »

Not sure exactly where I can find those... Magmawiki says sedimentary (first 5-6 layers), but even if I search the whole lot of it, I just can find any trace. In my last 8 forts 31.25 I found ONE vein of lignite, thats all...

Anybody having the same concern?

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scarse lignite/bituminous coal is scarse...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:11:29 am »

Are you beside a Volcano?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:43:23 am »

Anybody having the same concern?
Ensure that all the layers you are digging through are actually Sedimentary. There may be no layers at all.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Sedimentary_layer

Second, use dfhack's prospector on new embark to tell how much coal or lignite you have, may be zero

Still, if there's none to dig out, you can chop/burn trees, use magma smelters to cut fuel use, trade for more wood and create tree plantations underground by flooding/draining old mine areas. Eventually you would need to do this anyway to maintain self-sufficiency when coal runs out.

Ultimately if you really want to dig for coal, consider modding it to appear in more environments or be CLUSTER rather than VEIN (you will get TOO MUCH coal if you do this :- change [ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100] to [ENVIRONMENT:ALL_STONE:CLUSTER:100] for coal or lignite in inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, this is sets it to the frequency of Microcline / Orthoclase ;) )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:45:20 am by Reelyanoob »

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:09:23 am »

I would prefer not modding if possible and keep exploit out of the way... Even though an Alpha is often not entirely playable due to all testing going on.

So you say that flooding mine will make tower cap shroom grow everywhere? More strangely, they seem to grow on the first level of my bro fortress all the time. Biome?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:44:03 am »

They don't need mud if it's natural sand/soil/clay floor, but you can carve out whole layers, flood and drain to make your own safe tree caverns basically (they should grow moss too, for animal pastures, but I prefer these separate). River water is the simplest source. Clearing the stones from the muddy tiles is the biggest pain, so I try to combine this with some serious construction work to make it worthwhile moving the stone. The saplings won't grow on shrub tiles, so some people recommend to keep a herbalist busy down there, which will clear tree growing squares.

I was making a multi-z-level set of tree farms, draining the water from each one to the new one below, realized the hard way don't try and dig out a level below while the level above is being flooded (due to all the damp-stone job cancellations). Next time I'm training up a lot more miners.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:49:55 am by Reelyanoob »

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:18 am »

I believe that for a sapling to appear you need a solid layer of rock/soil in the z-level underneath it.  Not 100% certain, and any saplings there will still turn into trees.  But I rarely get new saplings if I mine out the layer underneath.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32:08 am »

I's entirely based on luck of draw. I did two oceanside embarks last month and both were strapped with lignite in conglomerate.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04:16 am »

It's probably one of my chief complaints with the 31.2x line and the scarcity adjustment.  The vast majority of the time, your only choice for getting a metal industry (or heck, clay / glass) up and running is to dive straight for the magma sea.  Which means that after I setup about 600 tiles (across multiple Z's) at the surface for temporary storage/safety, I have to go looking for and mapping out the caverns so I can find my way down to magma.

(Bitter because I was on a map with no coal, no lignite, and about 20 surface trees.  I abandoned that save after a year or two before I got a chance to farm underground trees.)

This wouldn't be so bad if 1 unit of mined coal would make 5-8 units of coke (depending on the skill of the furnace operator) or if lignite would make 2-4.  And wood should probably make a bit more charcoal then it does now.  But that would probably explode the hauling jobs and until hauling is improved you'd end up with situations like you have with the butcher shop constantly be cluttered.  Workers would need to be able to carry 8-10 units of coke at a time.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:54 am »

I think I have an efficient way for tree farm...

Make 30 by 30 (or bigger/smaller) square on multiple Z level. After that, dig out a pit under it with a pump linked to it. After that channel one edge of every z level of the farm, always alternate the channeled area each level for the opposite side. When everything is dig, flood the whole place with a river to push all stone to the pit and then pump up the excess water

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:35:03 am »

I believe that for a sapling to appear you need a solid layer of rock/soil in the z-level underneath it.  Not 100% certain, and any saplings there will still turn into trees.  But I rarely get new saplings if I mine out the layer underneath.
In old versions, saplings would only grow on dry soil if there was a soil wall underneath within a 2-tile radius or if there was a muddy tile on the same Z-level within a 2-tile radius. Given that underground caverns are now filled with grassy soil (with stone underneath) instead of muddy stone, these rules have probably changed, otherwise new trees would be unable to grow in them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:26:43 pm »

I think I have an efficient way for tree farm...

Make 30 by 30 (or bigger/smaller) square on multiple Z level. After that, dig out a pit under it with a pump linked to it. After that channel one edge of every z level of the farm, always alternate the channeled area each level for the opposite side. When everything is dig, flood the whole place with a river to push all stone to the pit and then pump up the excess water

Square rooms are harder to flood properly then more long and narrow rectangles.  Other then that you're spot on.  I prefer to use stairs instead of channels at the opposite end of the long dimension and will stack these layers as 11x21 rooms for half a dozen levels.  Then I flood it with a manually operated pump and monitor the flow into the lower rooms.

[pump] -> [room] -> [down stair]
[down] <- [room] <- [up]
[up] -> [room] -> [down]
[down] <- [room] <- [up]
(repeat as desired)

In my current fort I was lucky enough that the lowest level was right close to a cavern's lake in a lower level, so I just dumped the excess water out through a fortification tile into the lower level lake.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »

Does cave lake eventually flood (with the cavern)? Or there is an underground water source and exit?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:46:49 pm »

Any water source that starts on an edge tile is infinate in both input and output.  If the underground lake starts at the edge it will never drain or flood.

People also use that by smoothing fortifications on an edge tile to drain water.

Note that a lake that doesn't touch an edge at the start WILL flood or drain.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:43:10 pm »

New question related to fluids...

I just made a well and pressure keep pushing water through the hole... It never does that, what did I do wrong for water to come up from the hole which should be the well hole? Instead of a well, there is 2 pumps next to the hole, one for the farm and the other one for the tree farm.

What could be causing this?

NB : It is 99% build like a well. 3X*3Y*3Z and on top 1 hole. the hole IS not in the center of the floor above the pit, it's at the right of it (3 oclock). Could this be the mistake?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:54:49 pm by Marble_Nuts »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pressure#Water_in_a_U-Bend

The side view of a well should always look like that diagram.

(well level)
(1x1 open tile)
(cistern) <-> (pressure regulator) <-> (water source)

Top view of the pressure regulator layer (both designs work, the key is to force the water through at least 1 diagonal movement):

Code: [Select]
WWWWW
W...WWWW
W.OW....
W...WWWW
WWWWW

WWWWWW
W...WWW.WWWWWW
W.O....W......
W...WWW.WWWWWW
WWWWWW

W = walls