Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New layers names?  (Read 424 times)

wags747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New layers names?
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »

Can anyone explain the new types of layers? (Soil, Shallow metals, Deep metals, Flux stone)  I've played about 4 games without finding any good sites.  Primarily, how do I find Sedimentary layers now?

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New layers names?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »

Soil means there is soil before the rock layers, deep metal(s) means there are metal ore(s) deep in the ground, shallow metal(s) means ore near surface, flux means there is flux stone around. Pretty self-explanatory.

They are not new types of layers, just a new way you are given information about the embark site. Is there something sedimentary layers entail that you can't look up from the new info?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:57 pm »

... Is there something sedimentary layers entail that you can't look up from the new info?

Both types of Coal are Sedimentary-only, as are two of the three types of Iron Ore. The new info gives no clue as to whether you can reasonably expect Coal or Iron on your map.
Never pet a burning dog.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »

Iron is pretty plentiful though. You might need to try a couple embarks to get it, but it's not a huge problem. Coal on the other hand is something I haven't really seen in a while.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

wags747

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

Thanks guys! I'll tear it up a bit harder then.  This game is badass.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »

A utility called Dwarf Prospector lets you know what types of ores and gems are on your embark site... only after you've embarked, unfortunately.
Never pet a burning dog.