Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My mayor must REALLY want coins..  (Read 1726 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
My mayor must REALLY want coins..
« on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:34 am »

First, he mandates a coin, then, he bans export of coins.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My mayor must REALLY want coins..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:57:08 am »

First, he mandates a coin, then, he bans export of coins.
This is pretty much the only actions I ever see a mayor make. It's basically like a kid asking for something, then refusing to share it with anyone else.

The nobles in this game piss me off. They're not very dwarven.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:09 am »

For the fortresses own good, impale him. Or dump him in magma.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 07:06:14 am »

For the fortresses own good, impale him. Or dump him in magma.
I wish I could cast them in obsidian and install them in a statue garden as a warning to the others.

Alas, obsidian destroys nearly all.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:11:15 am »

It would be nice if they could do different mandates -variety being the spice of life and all that.

*Mandating export of an item (perhaps based on trade agreements with the outpost liaison, so doesn't have to be something the mayor likes)

*Mandating production of food/drink the mayor likes (within reason - a mandate for whale roasts in the middle of a desert would be a fast ticket to the magma sea)

*Mandating the construction of extra furniture in the mayor's room, out of materials he likes (I have heard of this happening already but never seen it)

*Mandating weapons and/or armour production if a lot of dwarves are dying from hostile action

*Mandating import of an item that a friendly civ can make and the fort cannot - like turbans or arrows (would need more caravan arc work so that it can be ensured the caravan actually turns up with them)

I daresay Toady has a fair few of these ideas planned already, but won't implement them until a bunch of other, more important work is sorted out.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:14:02 am »

Yeah, just kind of irritating when I'm getting inane mandates, like a yeti-tooth earing.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:15:16 am »

Better, Cast the Mayor in Obsidian.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:08 am »

That really isn't bad, assuming he doesn't want them made from adamantine or bismuth bronze, or some such. Much better than endless requests for targes.  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:23:33 am »

There was some more sense to mandates when economy was in game:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Dwarven_economy

Non-legendary dwarves who are not given enough work to do will receive an unhappy thought ("was unhappy with the lack of work last season") and will request a meeting with your Manager. After they meet, the Manager will meet with the Mayor (unless they are the same dwarf) and make suggestions about job allocations. In the case of complaints from guild members (miners, carpenters, masons, metalsmiths, jewelers, and craftsdwarves), a message may appear similar to "<name> has taken a request from the <type> Guild." and a mandate will be issued to perform a number of related jobs.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:33 am »

*Mandating export of an item (perhaps based on trade agreements with the outpost liaison, so doesn't have to be something the mayor likes)
"You heard the man, Broker.  250% of their value for stone flutes.  Now get to it.  Tell the manager to set them on repeat, too! WE MUST HAVE FLUTES!"

I like this one.

*Mandating production of food/drink the mayor likes (within reason - a mandate for whale roasts in the middle of a desert would be a fast ticket to the magma sea)

Seems like with the amount of food types, and unproducable foods (I DEMAND FLY BRAIN STEW!!!) maybe this isn't such  a good idea.

*Mandating the construction of extra furniture in the mayor's room, out of materials he likes (I have heard of this happening already but never seen it)
Happens already, seen it myself.  They mandate a chair then start getting pissed off it you put it anywhere but their bedroom.  I think it has to do with [SLEEP_PRETENTION]

*Mandating weapons and/or armour production if a lot of dwarves are dying from hostile action
Since when do nobles even seem to NOTICE the rabble? I doubt they'd mandate anything military except "unhand me! guards! kill this peasant!"

*Mandating import of an item that a friendly civ can make and the fort cannot - like turbans or arrows (would need more caravan arc work so that it can be ensured the caravan actually turns up with them)
Dwarves are producers, not consumers (except if you mean alcohol).
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:04:09 am »

Happens already, seen it myself.  They mandate a chair then start getting pissed off it you put it anywhere but their bedroom.  I think it has to do with [SLEEP_PRETENTION]

Only recently I had a noble demand an iron bed.   ::)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:18:35 am »

Yeah, it happens, but it's technically a demand, not a mandate. The difference seems to be that, if it's not satisfied, the useless noble just gets an unhappy thought instead of issuing Dwarven InJustice.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 10:27:06 am »

I haven't found magma yet, so instead of dumping the mayor there, I atom smashed him into mush.
The new mayor is a hunter.
Well, at least he's more useful.

Mechlin

• Bay Watcher
  • /u/sarasti_
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:33:39 am »

I wonder...

Can you kill a dorf with coins??

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:35:59 am »

Yes.
You could even kill them with an elf leg.
Pages: [1] 2