Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pipedream megaprojects.  (Read 741 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Pipedream megaprojects.
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:28 am »

This thread is about megaprojects you want to do, but you can or will not due to issues or other stuff.

I wanted to build a giant station that is glued to the top of the map and drops 2x2 obsidian capsules filled with magma. It also has 2x2 capsules filled with water next to the magma ones. It's intended to crush or obsidianise any threat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:53:51 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Pipedream megaprojects.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:21:37 am »

I modded a caste of geese that lay amber blocks instead of eggs.

I designed a megafortress made entirely from amber, a 32 tile radius sphere full of rooms and workshops and grand spiral staircases.

Then I did some math and realized that it was going to take something like a thousand years for my goose population to lay enough amber blocks to build it.  Time for a redesign.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:20 am »

Just redesign the geese to lay more blocks.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 11:35:46 am »

I modded a caste of geese that lay amber blocks instead of eggs.

I designed a megafortress made entirely from amber, a 32 tile radius sphere full of rooms and workshops and grand spiral staircases.

Then I did some math and realized that it was going to take something like a thousand years for my goose population to lay enough amber blocks to build it.  Time for a redesign.
Use bauxite. Paint the town red. Then build it out of bauxite. Then go get drunk.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:45:33 am »

Building a repeating magma rain device for all my anti-invasion needs. Basically a large reservoir at the top of the map, with magma safe pump stacks (Not sure how many I'd end up using), and a back-up stack from the magma sea to deal with evaporation and the inevitable layer of irretrievable magma.

Definitely something that will remain in my personal development hell for quite some time, as I'm running an eight year old dinosaur of a computer, whose only upgrade is a three or four year old graphics card. Even a Magma Pump stack would cripple me as is, even on a pocket world (which is the only kind I play...)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »

A vast treasure-vault fortress, built in such a way that after the entrance is opened, a doomsday machine in hell begins counting down and the player has two years to retrieve as much treasure as possible before the fortress collapses into the magma sea. Within the fortress are many vaults, each sealed by a puzzle. Attempting to breach the walls of the vault before the puzzle is completed drops the vault into the magma sea. Attempting to breach the entrance of the fortress without activating the timer, or attempting to break into hell and disable the doomsday machine, drops the fortress into the magma sea.

I'd put up the fortress for the community to reclaim and see if anyone solves all the puzzles or finds a loophole I didn't notice in the defense mechanisms.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

A vast treasure-vault fortress, built in such a way that after the entrance is opened, a doomsday machine in hell begins counting down and the player has two years to retrieve as much treasure as possible before the fortress collapses into the magma sea. Within the fortress are many vaults, each sealed by a puzzle. Attempting to breach the walls of the vault before the puzzle is completed drops the vault into the magma sea. Attempting to breach the entrance of the fortress without activating the timer, or attempting to break into hell and disable the doomsday machine, drops the fortress into the magma sea.

I'd put up the fortress for the community to reclaim and see if anyone solves all the puzzles or finds a loophole I didn't notice in the defense mechanisms.
How did you do it?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:41 pm »

DF mode or adventure mode?