Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod the game so I can purposely harm my dwarves with sugery?  (Read 2143 times)

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have looked through the last 50 pages or so and didn't see anything about it.

Basically, I know I can put them on a drawbridge and have it open and they get hurt. But what I would like is a way to essentially inflict harm on them but in the manner of adventure mode but through a hospital and choose what I want done.
I know if I have a doctor with little sugery skill it may harm the dwarf. But I saw a topic with an ide aof a dwarf ripping out his arm to use the bone and I thought "what if we could do that, having doctors perform the experiments".

Unfortunetly, I've no clue about modding and as such, I'm not sure if it's even possible.

To put it bluntly: I want a fortress where I can have a hosptial that I can choose to remove bones, break fingers, and so on as a form of... entertainment.  ;D

If it is not possible, would be possible to play fortress mode, switch to a guy for adventure mode and do the damage myself with the fighting menu and then switch back to the fortress mode with the dfmode programme? I tried doing that but they all ended up killing one another.

I'd be happy with either option, though I would much prefer the first option of a torture chamber.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:21:09 pm by dmurray »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

You people are hilariously sick. That's what DF is all about.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I like the detail. It's nice to have a game that you can have so much freedom in. And if I want to be an evil scientist creating a death lab, why not?  :D

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fairly sure that surgery is hard-coded so no.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would there be a way to create devices that only harm certain parts? Such as removing certain fingers or bruising the eye in dwarf fortress mode?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would there be a way to create devices that only harm certain parts? Such as removing certain fingers or bruising the eye in dwarf fortress mode?

I believe that's also hard coded (anything that can harm can generally harm anything) so no.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe that's also hard coded (anything that can harm can generally harm anything) so no.

Hmm... failing those two options. Is there a way to switch between adventure mode and fortress mode and be able to play as a character in my fortress, that can choose harm the others through attacking and then go back to fortress mode and have them both still be allied (as in they won't attack the dwarf that just ripped the other guy's fingers off)? I tried using dfmode but I ended up having my 7 dwarves attack one another.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Danger room with dwarves with no gauntlets? I'd recommend modding nail to have a healing rate though, or whatever it takes to be healable. I had a fortress in .18 with a dwarf who'd smashed her nail along with some other parts, and it never healed and got infected after I reinjured her trying to figure out why it wasn't healing up like everything else. She seemed to live with it just fine. But if it remains broken it should scar over to prevent infection, and if there's a way for infection to get in it should be healable. Not every dwarf is that guy who had a permant hole into his stomach.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Danger room with dwarves with no gauntlets? I'd recommend modding nail to have a healing rate though, or whatever it takes to be healable. I had a fortress in .18 with a dwarf who'd smashed her nail along with some other parts, and it never healed and got infected after I reinjured her trying to figure out why it wasn't healing up like everything else. She seemed to live with it just fine. But if it remains broken it should scar over to prevent infection, and if there's a way for infection to get in it should be healable. Not every dwarf is that guy who had a permant hole into his stomach.

I actually would like having direct control. As in "they enter this room and I pull the switch and their 3nd and 3rd fingers gets cut off". Nice idea you have though.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could make syndromes that selectively rot or impair certain body parts, and use a custom workshop to deliver them. (Make them inorganic, inhaled syndromes attached to certain special rocks that boil away as soon as they're created, and put reactions in the workshop to generate the rocks.)

I don't think you can get broken bones that way, though.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could make syndromes that selectively rot or impair certain body parts, and use a custom workshop to deliver them. (Make them inorganic, inhaled syndromes attached to certain special rocks that boil away as soon as they're created, and put reactions in the workshop to generate the rocks.)

I don't think you can get broken bones that way, though.

I like that! :)

So, you're telling me with modding that I could create "something" (explain what the something is, please) that can cause various injuries? While broken bones might not be possible, what would be the limit of detail I can have control of? As in, would it be the same as letting them fall several stories and the injuries are random or would I be able to say "X syndrome damages a part of the body in this manner (bruising, puncturing and so on)"?
I've read more about syndromes, they seem to be caused by touching affects but the wiki says by "vindictive modders". So would it be possible (albiet more than likely fun) to make a room that "shoots" or "fills up" with this syndrome once I have my test subjects in the room?

Also, thank you for all the replies thus far. It's funny that I enjoy the fact we can discuss logical ways to torture dwarves. :D

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Syndromes are basically the effects of poisons, and they can be targeted pretty specifically - I'm not sure if you can specifically target the first finger on the right hand, but you can certainly target hands in general, and probably fingers in general. They can have a few different effects; the list is here - scroll down to the table. A given syndrome can have more than one effect, and you can set the severity and timing of the effects as well.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Syndromes are basically the effects of poisons, and they can be targeted pretty specifically - I'm not sure if you can specifically target the first finger on the right hand, but you can certainly target hands in general, and probably fingers in general. They can have a few different effects; the list is here - scroll down to the table. A given syndrome can have more than one effect, and you can set the severity and timing of the effects as well.

Okay, I read a bit through and I think I understand it a bit more. Thank you for the link.

Now, is it possible (without a megaproject) to do this: station a dwarf in a room and have another dwarf flick a switch, thus causing the room the first dwarf is in, to either fill up with this syndrome or have a sort of... cannon or gun to shoot the syndrome out as a dart (roleplaying technically but the syndrome would shoot out in a line and hitting the dwarf).

If so, the part about the disease lasting, it's possible to use a syndrome to permantly disable a limb on a dwarf?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

You don't even need to do that. All you need is a workshop (use workshop profiles to limit it to one dwarf), a skillless reaction producing something made of a material with a syndrome and a boiling point below fortress temperature, and the material in question.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clarifying a bit: A syndrome is an effect, not an object. You can't fill a room with it. You could in theory fill a room with a gas that has a syndrome, but it'd be extremely complicated. The easiest way to do it is with a workshop, like Sutremaine said: In the raws, make a new kind of stone that carries your syndrome of choice and boils at room temperature. Then make a custom reaction (custom workshop optional) to produce a unit of that stone. When the dwarf goes to the workshop and makes the reaction, the stone appears at their feet and immediately boils into gas, they automatically inhale the gas, and *boom* they have the syndrome. (The syndrome has to be contracted by inhalation, obviously.) The remaining gas then dissipates before the next dwarf comes along.
Pages: [1] 2