Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead trees  (Read 2645 times)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
Dead trees
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:38:36 am »

Just embarked on a terrifying biome, and I have no live trees, shrubs, or grass growing.
It's been a few seasons, with seasonal thawing over the local river, and I still haven't seen anything start growing.

An additional point - I've had 2 embarks which had no grass in the first cavern layer. Any idea whats going on?

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead trees
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:57:57 am »

everything can be undead, including the saplings, which grow up into dead trees
LOSING IS FUN!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:56:53 am »

everything can be undead, including the saplings, which grow up into dead trees

:o

Either thats super cool, or my leg has been pulled somewhat hard.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 04:10:40 am »

If only.... you can't make this stuff up, man.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 04:27:22 am »

Remember, this is Dwarf Fortress. Even the earth you're striking is out to kill you and bring your fortress low.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:44:48 am »

I think only certain evil areas have plants that actually grow. Others will only have the plants you see upon embark, and if you cut down the trees in the area, they won't grow back. If you haven't had anything pop up so far, you probably never will. Underground plantlife might be different though, or can those be undead as well?

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:03:57 am »

Once you have breached the first cavern layer, wood producing shrooms will start growing in the soil layers directly under the surface. So my advice would be to 1) dig deep and 2) dig out a large area close to the surface and leave it empty for shroom harvesting.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:47 am »

I think only certain evil areas have plants that actually grow. Others will only have the plants you see upon embark, and if you cut down the trees in the area, they won't grow back. If you haven't had anything pop up so far, you probably never will. Underground plantlife might be different though, or can those be undead as well?

This.

Cavern layer 1 is devoid of plant life (Second embark to do this. Previous was on a good biome). The other layers do have cave moss which I am using to populate caverns on the surface.

Oddly, Cavern Layer 1 does not support growth till date. Its been 3 years at least - I've had a shroom grow up into a tree in one of my craft areas.

Anyone else encountered this? Muddy cavern layer 1 and no plant growth?

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:43 am »

I had such level 2 cavern, just ignored it.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:31:33 am »

If a cavern is devoid of plant life when you breach it, it's either bone dry, or has a biome that doesn't support plant life (IIRC there's a list of subterranean biomes somewhere on the wiki).

Remaining devoid of plant life after being muddied would probably indicate it's a biome issue.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

If a cavern is devoid of plant life when you breach it, it's either bone dry, or has a biome that doesn't support plant life (IIRC there's a list of subterranean biomes somewhere on the wiki).

Remaining devoid of plant life after being muddied would probably indicate it's a biome issue.
I have found that mud does not seem to matter for the cavern layer if there is no water in that layer. Setting MinimumCavernWaterLayer to 1 in worldgen seems to solve the 'barren cavern' issue.
Soaplent green is goblins!

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 04:16:06 pm »

Thanks, did not know about the biome issue for caverns. The setting cavern layer to 1 was also an interesting way to fix it. Thanks!