Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Me No Get Military  (Read 462 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Me No Get Military
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:08:37 pm »

And I thought I did.

Here's what happened. I got ambushed, so I locked the door. Then I noticed one of my guys had marksdwarf. So I made him his own squad, assigned him a crossbow, and stationed him in my tower. He sits there. Meanwhile my other dorfs are frantically running out onto my armor/weapons stockpile for no apparent reason. I forbid the stockpile and move on.

I check the marksdwarfs equoiptment from the m-e screen. He's got a full suit of Armor (except boots), and a Crossbow. He's standing two goddamn feet from the ammo stockpile. Maybe he's got no ammo? I up his squads ammo to 200. Then I check his inventory. Dude's naked.

Apparently he stripped, dumped everything on the arms stockpile, and can no longer use it.

To solve this extremely dwarvey problem I unforbid the entire stockpile, remove him from his squad, and cancel all his jobs. That way when he starts idling I'll know he's ready to shoot gobboes. Before I can a big red R appears.

He's not officially in the military, but he's shooting at the gobboes. Not very well (his last 8 bolts were "batted away"), but hey.

Nick

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Me No Get Military
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:13:30 pm »

Sounds like he has hunting enabled. Hunting, Mining, and Woodcutting all have an invisible uniform consisting of the tools of their trade, which conflict with military uniforms. Additionally, hunters will attempt to attack invaders, from what I've read. If you want him to wear armor, I'd suggest disabling his hunting, then putting him back in the military and seeing if that makes him cooperate.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Me No Get Military
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:49 pm »

Sounds like he has hunting enabled. Hunting, Mining, and Woodcutting all have an invisible uniform consisting of the tools of their trade, which conflict with military uniforms. Additionally, hunters will attempt to attack invaders, from what I've read. If you want him to wear armor, I'd suggest disabling his hunting, then putting him back in the military and seeing if that makes him cooperate.
He doesn't have hunting enabled now. Nothing but his most important tasks: healthcare and metalsmithing.

Don't think he did in the first place. I think I forgot to assign his squad ammo when I first made it, and that he ended up butt naked because he was in the middle of trading his crappy copper armor for slightly less crappy iron armor when I forbade the entire stockpile.

No idea why a civilian who specifically had every labor except recover wounded, feed/water patients, and furnace operating disabled decided to shoot at gobboes. Maybe he remembered he'd been officially a soldier five minutes or something.

Nick