Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ACCUM_BUFFER vs FRAME_BUFFER vs VBO  (Read 1305 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ACCUM_BUFFER vs FRAME_BUFFER vs VBO
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:52:32 am »

Have you tasted the rendering modes? Which one is fastest/most stable?
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ACCUM_BUFFER vs FRAME_BUFFER vs VBO
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:51:08 am »

VBO is slightly faster than STANDARD for me. ACCUM_BUFFER causes flickering as per post-40d12 (or whenever it was) PARTIAL. FRAME_BUFFER I don't know much about. For more info, read this post.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:48:43 am »

Yay! Thank you for the link! I tried SHADER, and found out that it really works on my slightly ancient 7950GT, and CPU loads seems to be signifficantly lower!
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:24 pm »

I will try shader as well tonight....

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:13 pm »

..er, shader isn't actually implemented. It just turns into.. standard, I think.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 06:26:51 pm »

Are you sure? I have visual glitches when resizing the window in all modes... except SHADER and 2D.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »

Mouse wheel zooming back to normal makes the edges of the screen flicker. But resizing the window fixes that. The only problem I've had with VBO is that it sometimes decides to kill my tileset and replace it with full colour blocks. The game will also hang at that point.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 02:26:39 am »

Are you sure? I have visual glitches when resizing the window in all modes... except SHADER and 2D.
I guess that means it uses 2D when you ask for SHADER.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.