Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Play Sword of the Stars!  (Read 5188 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Sword of the Stars!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:50:26 pm »

Name planets off random fortresses you encounter on the DF Community Play page.   ;D

And me.  Name something after me!!!!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:01 pm »

Name planets off random fortresses you encounter on the DF Community Play page.   ;D

And me.  Name something after me!!!!

That's a great idea, of course, that means there's only really one possible name for the homeworld.

Now, can you rename the fleets? If you can, I can name one after you.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »

Yep you can rename fleets. Click the fleet, and there should be a rename button, if memory serves.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 07:20:22 pm »

So, unfortunatly, I can't rename planets/starsystems/colonies.

Anyways, before the first post, here's the setup. Post will be up in a few hours.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

Update 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, so far these are the three best planets we've come across, Tau ceti is one jump away, so the first destination. What should we do about the alien derlict? Do we have the technology to take it yet? We're currently studying waldo units, it's at 39% with about 11 turns left to study. Will the Hammerhead command section give us enough power to take out it's weapons?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:00 pm »

If you want an experienced answer(not a fun answer):

Derelicts have top tier technology. Antimatter beams and such. You would need a ton of destroyers to defeat it at close range. However, it has no long range weaponry. Missiles from afar can slowly beat it to a pulp(and I do mean slowly), if my memory serves me right. However, if you do want to do it the fun way, you can specifically target "turrets" and slowly disable the derelict. However, you would have to leave it alone until you could afford the number of destroyers needed to do this. Like 20-30 with an armada CnC. There are no benefits to disabling it. You would blow it up anyway.  But its fun.  :P
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

EuchreJack's Rangers volunteer to disable this derelic!  We won't ask silly questions, such as why we're getting killed at close range trying to disable it, instead of attacking from afar with missiles!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 12:56:35 am »

There are no benefits to disabling it. (the derrelict)

Sir, these eggheads over at R&D say they really would love to get this piece of junk into their wrinkled hands to study it. of cause, the military staff claims that with current tech levels the chances of a successful disabling of the derelict are low. my personal opinion is we should develop a high accurate sniper mass driver to deal with them in the future.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:01:16 am by motorbitch »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 07:25:42 am »

Hmm, as tempting as the Stalingrad approach is, we'll probably just leave it alone for now untill we have a bit more technology. Also, I'll throw up a few pictures of the tech tree when I get a chance, since parts of it are random.

Steam's new screenshot feature makes posting screenshots awesomely easy by the by. F12 to take the screenshot, visit your profile and you can copy the image location and post it. No third party image hosting required!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 09:18:57 am »

Derelicts have top tier technology. Antimatter beams and such. You would need a ton of destroyers to defeat it at close range. However, it has no long range weaponry. Missiles from afar can slowly beat it to a pulp(and I do mean slowly), if my memory serves me right. However, if you do want to do it the fun way, you can specifically target "turrets" and slowly disable the derelict. However, you would have to leave it alone until you could afford the number of destroyers needed to do this. Like 20-30 with an armada CnC. There are no benefits to disabling it. You would blow it up anyway.  But its fun.  :P

On the note of disabling it. I couldn't help myself so I checked the wiki. If you disable instead of destroy, it's an extra 15% bonus to research (so 25%, destroying it gives you 10%). Also, destroying it only gives you the bonus for 1 turn, disabling for 4. So, should I go lasers for accuracy? I don't want to risk missing too much and blowing it up, as that's a significant bonus, especially with the 50% research speed.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 11:50:47 am »

On the note of disabling it. I couldn't help myself so I checked the wiki. If you disable instead of destroy, it's an extra 15% bonus to research (so 25%, destroying it gives you 10%). Also, destroying it only gives you the bonus for 1 turn, disabling for 4. So, should I go lasers for accuracy? I don't want to risk missing too much and blowing it up, as that's a significant bonus, especially with the 50% research speed.

Ah, I never check the wiki. So specific numbers I don't really know. Uh. Actually, as the person before said, sniper mass drivers would work quite splendidly with missiles if you want to kite it. Missiles would be inaccurate, due to their speed and the rotation of the vessel, but sniper mass drivers should work. You'll have to research it first, though.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 01:33:38 pm »

as laser range is pretty low, this would be a verry expensive battle and i strongly advice not even to try it. but theoretic studys of massdrivers indicate that it would be possible to develope a special sniper cannon massdriver. these guns would be perfectly suited to disable derrelicts, as with the high range they have a attacker could avoid most of the damage. still most derrelicts have torpedos, these will eat low-tech friggs alive, so point defense weapons would be needed to avoid unecessary losses.
sugessted solution: KILL IT DEAD! WITH MISSLES! PEW PEW PEW WOOSHhh BOOM!!

for the future, get these snipers and pointdefense early (snipers just make some early battles a bit more easy, but pointdefense will make all battles cheaper for the whole game. planetary assaults without pd tend to be verry expensive).
but after suspended animation, of cause. youre on your way to sa, are you?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »

It's still rather early in the game, only about 15ish turns in (not at home, can't check atm). We're still working on Waldo Units, which I read somewhere as being a good general starting tech for the cheaper ships. From there, I have no idea where to go. As for my next in game move for the next while, I plan to pump scouts and explore as many stars as possible, I don't really see the piont of building defensive ships atm, as I've come across no hostile presence.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

excellent choice on that waldos, sir!
cant wait to see something blown up by these these hammerhead command sections!
anyways, moar planets will allow moar warships. so, if welcome, a small excursion into colonizing.:

suspended animation (sa) allows to crunch in twice as many slaves infrastructure users per colonizer and are very important to get colonies up  fast (and therefore reduce support costs). Its TOTALLY NOT  suggested to build as many colonies as fast as possible.
instead, choose your planets wisely. climate hazard is the most important planetary attribute for now.

i suggest a colonizing plan like this:#

garden worlds (ch < 50) can colonized with a single colonizer without sa. you may want to bring up to 5 to speed things up none the less.

good planets (ch < 100) bring ~ 5 colonizers (double without sa).

mediocre planets (ch> 200) colonize only with minerals > 6000 *0R* wait until you have at last 2 planets with income. i usually use ~ 10 colonizers (get that sa!)

anything above ch 250 should not be colonized until you have some more income.

anything above 350 should not be colonized untill you have cruiser class colonizers.

rule of thumb: don't spend more than 33% of your income to planetary development.

back to the fun part:
3 armor frigs are usually sufficient to defend your core worlds, but don't leave any planet undefended. expect future enemy foreign empires to declare war instantly if your border colonies defenses are weaker than at last 10 frigs. build satellites on border planets, too.
also put 3 armor figs on these planets that are within your territory but you can not colonize.
all these defense fleets can be delayed for now, but build them before you hit turn 50.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:07:42 pm by motorbitch »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm »

Also, as far as planetary development goes, I tend to find it better to focus on infrastructure instead of climate, given that infrastructure affects climate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3