Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726897 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

I would like to say I'm also quite interested in that mercenary band game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blood affinity - blood magic and increased physical attributes
Mind affinity - telepathy, telekinesis, etc. and increased mental attributes
Soul affinity - ???

I need help with that last one.

Also, is it better to enforce daily updates or just wait until everyone's finished posting?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm so gonna sign up for that.
Hell, I'll start thinking up my app today.

Huh. That might be interesting on contact with the lore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I'm so gonna sign up for that.
Hell, I'll start thinking up my app today.

Huh. That might be interesting on contact with the lore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgtQj8O92eI

That is... surprisingly easy to splice into the lyrics.

Blood affinity - blood magic and increased physical attributes
Mind affinity - telepathy, telekinesis, etc. and increased mental attributes
Soul affinity - ???

I need help with that last one.

Also, is it better to enforce daily updates or just wait until everyone's finished posting?

Soul Affinity - empathy, manipulation of base emotions, etc. and increased resistances to physical and mental effects.

I'm a big proponent of waiting for people, but I've come to realize that it's good idea to speed things up occasionally. Still, I'd say that you should let people have at least two days, with a bump on the first day.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

Hmmm.
Hey, just to bounce an idea off you guys, what about a game which has an extremely simplified automatic character creation, you don't even need to make a bio, because you start off with 1 health, 1 mana and a choice between a crappy sword, a bow with 5 arrows or a spell-book with one randomly generated spell already made for you, a name or nickname is required, however.

You would start off in a dungeon each from separate starting points and your entire job would be to get to the centre of the dungeon and defeat the boss, making your character a permanent fixture and allowing your next character for the next dungeon to either be the character's son (allowing you to take a melee weapon, a ranged weapon or the spell-book along with all the spells in it from the previous run) or trained under him/her/it (putting you to a quarter of the previous character's level), if you die, however, then another character is sent in but the body of the previous one is still there, containing all the weapons from the previous life, the dungeon itself would be like a normal dungeon crawler, but way smaller and faster, with random weapons and abilities.
Of course, this makes the problem that any character who doesn't make it to the centre first will be at an inherent disadvantage to the character who did, and I don't really know how to fix that, any ideas?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Hmmm.
Hey, just to bounce an idea off you guys, what about a game which has an extremely simplified automatic character creation, you don't even need to make a bio, because you start off with 1 health, 1 mana and a choice between a crappy sword, a bow with 5 arrows or a spell-book with one randomly generated spell already made for you, a name or nickname is required, however.

You would start off in a dungeon each from separate starting points and your entire job would be to get to the centre of the dungeon and defeat the boss, making your character a permanent fixture and allowing your next character for the next dungeon to either be the character's son (allowing you to take a melee weapon, a ranged weapon or the spell-book along with all the spells in it from the previous run) or trained under him/her/it (putting you to a quarter of the previous character's level), if you die, however, then another character is sent in but the body of the previous one is still there, containing all the weapons from the previous life, the dungeon itself would be like a normal dungeon crawler, but way smaller and faster, with random weapons and abilities.
Of course, this makes the problem that any character who doesn't make it to the centre first will be at an inherent disadvantage to the character who did, and I don't really know how to fix that, any ideas?
If someone wins, make the "son" or "apprentice" a different player?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

It's not that, it's that if one person succeeds then the next character from there on is just more powerful than the others.
Well, perhaps it could more be that the first person to succeed is then the one that the next group of players go from, they can be sons, proteges or clones (Randomised stats that can go up to half of the original characters? Perhaps?), that could work.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soul Affinity - empathy, manipulation of base emotions, etc. and increased resistances to physical and mental effects.
That's closer to Mind and Blood affinities, respectively.

Hmmm.

Gib play
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Can I steal this?
Sure. Just send me a link to wherever you use it so I can watch how it pans out. (And probably apply)
I call it Draignean's Team Creation System (DTCS).

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can I steal this?
Sure. Just send me a link to wherever you use it so I can watch how it pans out. (And probably apply)
I call it Draignean's Team Creation System (DTCS).

Thanks for giving the grammar a touch up.  :D I would have been mightily embarrassed if you'd used the version I posted here.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Lol no problem.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's closer to Mind and Blood affinities, respectively.

Ah, I thought Mind was about thought, not emotion.
---

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Your mind governs all your cognitive faculties. That includes emotions, they're a part of your thoughts.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your mind governs all your cognitive faculties. That includes emotions, they're a part of your thoughts.

I would say that thought and emotion semi-detached. I 'think' in english (and a smattering of french and german), a constant stream of internal monologue that runs on by itself. At this moment I am 'thinking' out the text I'm typing, rolling it in my head and working out the details. There is a constant stream of thought involved in that process, but not a great deal of emotion or feeling. Thoughts are words that describe matter and states of being. They are not states of being unto themselves, though they can influence states of being by their existence and order.

Feelings are not expressed in words, or even in thoughts, but they provide the backdrop for thoughts. The buzz in the pit of your stomach from reading a good Koontz, that's a feeling. The itch of anticipation under your skin when you enter a competition. The cold bloom that flattens against the back of your skull when you're in an argument. The lightning in your heart and lungs when you're at the peak of recreational exertion. I can give words and locations to those feelings, but I cannot actually quantify them with thoughts so you can understand them the way I feel them. Feelings are like elementary particles, you can think about them generally, but thinking about them in precise terms is all but impossible.

tl;dr: My split here is that manipulation of the mind can make someone think a certain way, but their feelings change on their own. Manipulation of the soul let's you change how someone feels, but relies on them to change their way of thinking. So, essentially, Mind magic can redirect to stream of nerve fires and make someone shoot their friend. A clinical, even mathematical, affair. Soul magic could inspire the horrific depression that would make a man shoot himself, or the suicidal rage that would make him kill his own friend.
---

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Thoughts and feelings are mutually inclusive, they influence one another, and they originate in the same place: your mind. For the purposes of gameplay though I can buy the explanation that the mind, that produces thoughts, and the spirit, which controls one's feelings, are divorced.
Pages: 1 ... 581 582 [583] 584 585 ... 661