Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727969 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Time Travel: That sounds pretty cool, ebbor. Though probably wonderfully confusing.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile

Been watching Corridor Digital, ebbor?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Been watching Corridor Digital, ebbor?
I saw the video you're talking about a year ago.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asides from a few typos, not much. It just seems that you might have to do a lot of rolls each battle. Also, I don't understand the lance's special effect.
all crits with these weapons are pumped up one type on the chart due to how weak they are once they hit the ship.

Third, how about something that allows player to bypass AR and hit SR directly. A critical hit could do it, or maybe a special warheard. (Both delivering minor damage to armor, and some the SR.)

No worries about the rolls they won't be a problem :) As for the lances, its a typo it should be bumped up instead of pumped, essentially the crit charts are ranked from top to bottom in severity so if a player scored a bridge hit with a lance then they'd actually get the thruster damage crit. If a lance scores a no effect crit however that cannot be bumped up to be Bridge Hit or the like.

As for bypassing AR I would, but SR is the structure of the ship and when its depleted the ship is destroyed, I'm thinking of a way to add those kinds of weapons so they aren't overpowered but at the moment those weapons would be way to strong.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Maybe no SR damage, but only a roll on the SR charts?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe no SR damage, but only a roll on the SR charts?
That sounds good, I'll work it out.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

@Time Travel: That sounds pretty cool, ebbor. Though probably wonderfully confusing.

Yes I like the sound of that. Particularly the wonderfully confusing bit.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Damage types. I needs them. Or rather I wants them, and refuse to consider whether they're actually a good idea or not.

Basically, I'm considering having multiple damage/defense types for something. So far I've got Slashing, Piercing, and Crushing, which would all go under Physical. The trouble comes when I get to magic.

Fact is, there's too many magic types I might possibly want to have. I had already resigned to making two separate Magic categories and then making them half price to defend against, but I can't settle on those either.

The current contenders are more or less as follows:

Fire
Frost
Shock
Arcane
Nature
Light/Holy
Dark/Necrotic

Ideally arranged in a group of three, like Elemental: Fire, Frost, Shock; and Divine: Dark, Light, Nature. Or Arcane: Fire, Frost, Arcane; and Divine: Holy, Unholy, Nature. Or something along those lines.

Complicating this situation immensely is the fact that I was hoping to let players found their own classes, so I can't just base damage types off what archetypes there currently are (ie some sort of Dark/Necromancy thing because there'll be Necromancers or merging Fire and Frost into an Elemental type because the only ones who use either use both). I suppose I could retract this if necessary, and just let them pick perks or something, or even only found classes if they're sufficiently different from more obvious, existing archetypes.

I'm also open to better suggestions or just warning away from this sort of thing. Currently defenses will work like specialized hit points:

8/8 HP
  2/2 Piercing
  0/2 Fire

Specialized defenses are always lost first and healed last.

So, any advice? Anything?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Nah, not really.

Here are some basics for an evolution based game I was planning to do once.

Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: How to do this (click to show/hide)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

Well, I think that there's enough types of elemental magic that it might be worth sub-dividing a bit further.

Holy (Light, Healing)

Nature (Earth, Plants), Energy (Fire, Thunder), and Adaptive (Water, Wind)

Unholy (Dark, Curses)

In this case, Ice/Frost would be considered a form of water. You could let them pick a category (i.e. Holy, Energy) for normal cost, or a subcategory for half cost, or perhaps expand the unholy/holy categories more to match the size of the "Neutral" magic group.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

RE: Magic Types

If it were me doing it, I'd arrange it such that defenses are based on power source, the idea being that the way they deal their damage is more important than what specifically they are doing to deal it. Energy would incorporate the various elemental effects which hurt you by beating on your body, Divine would encompass Holy, Unholy, and things that damage by beating on your soul, and Arcane would cover the remainder, including things that damage by just blowing you up with raw magic.

Since if I were doing it I'd want there to be a mechanical difference between all the subtypes (and generally want to overcomplicate things,) I'd probably bundle extra bonuses into the levelup system. Thus, you might have 2/2 Energy Defense, but also an ability that ignores the first 2 points of any damage with the Fire keyword. Since I would then want things to be nice and symmetrical, I'd probably go and add subtypes to the physical damages as well- Slashing into swords and axes, Piercing into arrows, bolts, and spears, Crushing into maces and hammers, so on and so forth.

This is probably not the best way to do it, but it's probably the way I'd end up doing it anyway :P  It's entirely likely that, after looking at the mess I had made, I would decide to ditch the Kitchen Sink approach to magic and try to come up with some more streamlined magic system even if it meant I couldn't have all the magic zaniness I wanted.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Is it just me or does it seem like there aren't really that many RTD's anymore?

I remember getting tons of e-mails a day but now I hardly get any...

Maybe the number hasn't gone down it's just that I'm not actually getting in them. I've noticed a lot of sci fi RTD's but I never play those.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

To me, I see a lot of new RTDs but they are either too far ahead and all the player slots are filled up or I'm not interested in the (often lack of) mechanics, or perhaps the plot.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Maybe the number hasn't gone down it's just that I'm not actually getting in them. I've noticed a lot of sci fi RTD's but I never play those.
Annual RTD-off? :P

There are still a lot of RTDs open there.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Well, I think that there's enough types of elemental magic that it might be worth sub-dividing a bit further.

Holy (Light, Healing)

Nature (Earth, Plants), Energy (Fire, Thunder), and Adaptive (Water, Wind)

Unholy (Dark, Curses)

In this case, Ice/Frost would be considered a form of water. You could let them pick a category (i.e. Holy, Energy) for normal cost, or a subcategory for half cost, or perhaps expand the unholy/holy categories more to match the size of the "Neutral" magic group.
See, the problem with this is that I want to keep the subcategories all symmetrical and relatively low in number. I want each type to be meaningful, and if there's like four subcategories for one of the three subcategories for one of the two branches of magic, a lot of those subsubtypes are likely to be meaninglessly obscure.

I really don't want a Polymorph subsubsubschool just to cover witch hexing or something, for instance, because that wouldn't be a valid type to choose attacks or defenses from, it'd just be something that occasionally happens.

RE: Magic Types

If it were me doing it, I'd arrange it such that defenses are based on power source, the idea being that the way they deal their damage is more important than what specifically they are doing to deal it. Energy would incorporate the various elemental effects which hurt you by beating on your body, Divine would encompass Holy, Unholy, and things that damage by beating on your soul, and Arcane would cover the remainder, including things that damage by just blowing you up with raw magic.
I did consider merging all the elemental effects into just Elemental, all the physical types into just Physical, and possibly Dark/Light into just Divine, but didn't like it much. I'm going for simplicity, but that was just too simple.

In a similar vein, I also rejected the considerably easier Melee, Ranged, Magic system, both because it was too simple and because I figured Ranged would be somewhat more obscure than the other two.

Since if I were doing it I'd want there to be a mechanical difference between all the subtypes (and generally want to overcomplicate things,) I'd probably bundle extra bonuses into the levelup system. Thus, you might have 2/2 Energy Defense, but also an ability that ignores the first 2 points of any damage with the Fire keyword. Since I would then want things to be nice and symmetrical, I'd probably go and add subtypes to the physical damages as well- Slashing into swords and axes, Piercing into arrows, bolts, and spears, Crushing into maces and hammers, so on and so forth.
I think this sort of thing will be mostly covered by classes, ie Dark will be different from Light primarily because Dark-using classes have different stuff than Light-using ones. It's looking like there'll be considerably less restriction on Physical classes, though, because you can justify just using a different weapon in a lot of cases. Physical is already divided like that, though.

Also, I'm fairly comfortable with the differences between damage types mainly just being what they're more or less effective against. I also played around with the idea of special effects on a crit, but crits already work in a particular way and I'm not sure it'd be good to change them.*

*Mainly because one playtest resulted in someone's fight against a wolf ending by ramming himself down its gullet, killing them both.

This is probably not the best way to do it, but it's probably the way I'd end up doing it anyway :P  It's entirely likely that, after looking at the mess I had made, I would decide to ditch the Kitchen Sink approach to magic and try to come up with some more streamlined magic system even if it meant I couldn't have all the magic zaniness I wanted.
I've been trying very hard to keep things as simple as they can be and then let the complexity creep out a bit, as opposed to the usual process. Of course, now this has come back to haunt me as I'm concerned that there's not actually enough decisionmaking to do.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I suppose.

In any case, I think I've kicked Arcane out of Divine and put Nature in. I tried listing all the things that would use each damage type, and Arcane was... Arcane mages and maybe some things you could apply any element or theme to, so I reluctantly dropped it. Nature at least had treants and such.

Of course, Shock isn't looking much better. My first impulse as to what would use Shock damage was "Storm Dragons," which falls squarely under things you can apply any element to. I guess it's possible I'll still swap out Shock for Arcane, though I guess then I'd need to rename Elemental. Plus, at least Shock can be justified as anything from stormy areas, whereas Arcane would have to be spellwarped regions or something.

Next up/concurrent problem- worrying about classes and trying to figure out the economic flow of the game. Yaaaaaaaaay.

Yeah, it's seemed like it, but yeah, dunno if it's RTDs or RTDs I'm interested in.

Of course, I happen to be in the unadmirable position of remembering that I should be doing something about that every time I notice/think about it. >_>

Annual RTD-off? :P

There are still a lot of RTDs open there.
Hehe, some kind of contest or event could be fun, I think.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 364 365 [366] 367 368 ... 661