Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728369 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4605 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »

Damn your live RTDing on days when I must submit to wage-slavery!

Alright, so now I've got some weird system stuff I'm trying to figure out.

I think the basic setup for skills and abilities will work something like as follows:

Skills will be indicated by a numeral to show their rank, ie Farming 3. The experience cost to improve a skill is equal to some variation of the skill level in question, so Farming 1 might cost 10 exp, going from Farming 1 to Farming 2 would cost 20 exp, and so on. Not sure if that'll actually be 10/20/30 or 1/2/3 or what, but something simple and intuitive like that.

Generally speaking, skills add their skill level to the results of an attempt to use them, rather than to the roll. So Swords 2 would add +2 damage to a successful hit, Farming 3 would add 3 Food to harvests, Masonry 1 would add 1 progress to building something, and so on.

Where this gets kind of strange is the way I want experience to work, though. Specifically, while you gain experience by using the skill in question, you have to spend it manually. This has two connotations to it.

The first is that you can spend experience in a related field rather than the one you actually got exp by practicing. So someone who gains 5 Woodcutting exp could potentially use it to level up their Axeman skill instead (incidentally, this is also how magic will work; you progress from something you can actually practice into something you couldn't do normally by chaining skills). I'm unsure if there should be limits on this or not, such as to avoid a master swordsman doing all his training by harvesting wheat.

I do like Wax On Wax Off skills. You'd want to group skills somehow, such that XP earned Woodcutting could be applied toward Axemanship, but not, say, Fishing. Depending on how many skills you want to futz with, you could have a system where attack/damage/dodge are broken down into smaller sub-skills, with each subskill coming from a variety of skill groups.

You might also have an Attribute system, such that XP for a certain group could be applied to one of your Attributes (you could level your Woodcutting skill, or increase your Strength score, for example.) Thus, you'd have Weapons skills, and Woodcutting skills, and damage would use Weapons+Strength; leveling up, you'd have the choice between improving your productivity or indirectly improving combat ability. Attributes would be more expensive than skills, but would allow indirect improvement of combat ability so you don't have to risk fighting.

The second facet, and the one I kind of need help on, is figuring out what kind of an action spending experience takes. I'd kind of prefer it to be an actual action, in other words, instead of just leveling Farming by farming, you have to take time off your mundane stuff to actually apply that knowledge and make yourself better at it. This kind of raises questions about how exactly that works; should there be a set experience count you can do per turn, so to go from Fishing 3 to Fishing 4 takes, say, one day per 10 exp, or 4 days total? Or should each level take a day, meaning you basically just get the levelup and then take a day off to actually gain it? Or something else, like exp being freely spent, meaning it's more efficient to actually spend your stuff as rarely as possible, or all excess exp disappearing when you level, meaning you want to train as soon as possible once you've got the amount?

I'm not a big fan of sacrificing actions to raise skill, especially if it isn't a super significant increase in productivity/ability. If skilling up was its own action, I'd want to get a benefit besides the skill itself- I got better at farming itself by farming, so if I'm meditating on my farming I should hope I'm getting the ability to summon carrots from nothing or something supernatural/extraordinary like that.

Although actually, now that I've reread that you never said exactly how XP itself is gained- if it isn't tied to the skill at all, then yeah, I can dig it. I would probably argue against having excess XP disappear, since the waste makes me cringe. You could require it to be immediately allocated if you don't want people sitting on piles of XP.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: June 09, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »

Yep, you need to group skills together. And cutting lumber tends to build strength, so the benefits would not be limited to being able to wield an axe without cutting your own head off.

You could attach values to how attributes and abilities are gained through each task.
Lumberjacking:
+++Strength - Since it takes a lot of strength.
++Axe Use - Since using an axe to take down a tree does not require as much finesse as to fight with an axe, which requires feints, parries and whatever.
+Balance - You need at least a little balance to do that stuff. I think.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: June 10, 2012, 07:27:24 am »

Right. Well. Reeling from my morale crushing Forum Games forum game failure and with only one RtD to run, I am looking for something else to do.

I don't know if the genre is slightly overdone: would there be any interest in a quick and lighthearted deathmatch arena game? I don't have it in me to start one of the couple of larger ideas* I have planned for after chapter six of my ongoing game as I don't know if I can keep two story-driven games going at once, so would quite like something fun and non-verbose short.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: June 10, 2012, 10:26:57 am »

On the matter of Roll to Minstrel, how would it work? Are there different "roles" for each Minstrel, like Minstrel of Verbose, Minstrel of Politeness, Minstrel of Cluster F Bomb, Minstrel of CAPS LOCK, Minstrel of Speedo, etc.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: June 10, 2012, 10:42:12 am »

On the matter of Roll to Minstrel, how would it work?

I'm not sure yet, I think it would be a standard quest type game, but all the characters would be minstrels and everything would be written in rhyme. I considered their all being adventurer's minstrels, but Gatleos has already done the same kind of idea, unless I can come up with some amazing way of making it new.

Are there different "roles" for each Minstrel, like Minstrel of Verbose, Minstrel of Politeness, Minstrel of Cluster F Bomb, Minstrel of CAPS LOCK, Minstrel of Speedo, etc.

That's an awesome idea. Players would get +1 to their actions if they managed to keep in character - Minstrel of Verbose would have to write a post twice as long as anyone else's, Minstrel of CFB would have to swear every other word, Minstrel of CAPS LOCK would have to see if he could manage to post without annoying himself. Nice inclusion of MoS, incidentally.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4610 on: June 10, 2012, 11:39:03 am »

...I would totally take Minstrel that swears, just to write -ing three times a sentence and have e'eryone wonder why I'm going 'ing' 'ing'.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

...Minstrel of Verbose...
Requesting pre-in.  :D

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

I think the excess of the F word could demand some creative censorship.

I would most certainly join that adventure, good Sir. Pre-in if possible.
>Yes?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: June 10, 2012, 09:43:14 pm »

Could there be a Minstrel of Silliness and Bad References?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: June 10, 2012, 10:50:35 pm »

Am now contemplating an RTD based on Starcraft, Prometheus, Alien(s), and possibly at least a little Star Wars.

Hmmm.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:52 am »

...I would totally take Minstrel that swears, just to write -ing three times a sentence and have e'eryone wonder why I'm going 'ing' 'ing'.

:)

Pre-in if possible.

Sure, if I decide to accept pre-ins ;)

No, but the problem is I want to finish Magnificent Timelord properly; I'm not sure I can run two serious and story-driven games at once.

Could there be a Minstrel of Silliness and Bad References?

Definitely.

...Minstrel of Verbose...
Requesting pre-in.  :D

Again, sure, but see above regarding the 6 month wait. If there was too much interest, character acceptance would have to be decided by a four line minstrel-off, with the best lyricists getting in. Or something.

Also, I was thinking about what to do for a story/background so it didn't just become a gimmicky RtD where the genericnes was masked by rhyming. Although I guess if it was silly enough it wouldn't matter.

I have two ideas so far: Left 4 Minstrel and Jurassic Minstrel. I think the titles are self-explanatory. Willing to listen to any suggestions.

Actually, having thought about it, I find it much quicker to write silly rhymes than full prose turns, so I could do this much sooner than 6 months (i.e. when I finish my arena deathmatch?) if I come up with a good background/story/etc. In the Minstrelverse, not the Speedoverse.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »

I got another idea. (I really shouldn't be hanging around Bay12 so much, but whatever)

Spoiler: What is this (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The arena (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Leveling up (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Waitlisters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sign-up sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:36:10 am by 10ebbor10 »

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4617 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:25 pm »

Someone do that NOW.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: June 11, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »

The only thing 10e10 (actually, it might be a good thing, and I might be implementing it in my deathmatch from next turn onwards), is that only 50HP using GWSWS means that a wound which results in Severe Bleeding kills in 2.5 turns. I reduced it to Very Heavy Bleeding in my last turn, but I think I will put it back in the wound table next go.

Nice idea, by the way.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: June 11, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »

Me gusta.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 661