Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 728147 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4545 on: June 03, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

Caellath must do whatever he meant to do in the post three posts above this one.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:52 am »

Summoners of Humans - An Epic Tale of Idiocy

Spoiler:  History! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)
TL;DR version: Demons fight in the Underworld and think each and every human is a being in the same level as Cthulhu. They summon humans (the PCs) to help them in their wars while being terribly scared of them. Hilarity ensues.

So, what the hell do I want with this anime-esque shit (I hope this was not yet used in an anime or manga :V), you ask? Comic effect and developement of powers, of course. The demon taskforce would also be composed of player-controlled characters, but I was considering two options:
-The human PCs are common fantasy adventurers, but they are just newbies. Like your classic weakling mage/thief/warrior/knight ensemble.
-The human PCs are everyday modern young people. Like you and me.

Of course, the result would be the same: They would be flung into the demon realm (fantasy!) and would be covered with promises of wealth and power and anything they ever wanted if they just accepted wearing that armor, carrying that banner and destroying everything in their path.
That would not work for obvious reasons, because the human PCs are at best talentless slobs and would have to learn something while on the Underworld to try and live up to the human race's image.
The demon PCs would have to act like the rest of the demons: thinking all humans are Lovecraftian horrors which must be held withing several layers of armor so your eyeballs are not exploded due to excess of exposure to their tainted flesh.

Of course, the initial weakness of the humans would be quickly explained by the demons (and quickly accepted by the eager humans) as summoning sickness and then further explained by the loss of most of their abilities due to a faulty summoning ritual, but the human ensemble would have to get enough experience and fast enough to fare at least reasonably against the enemies who didn't run away from them. The main problem I found is that it requires too much RP, so here I am trying to find a way of simplying it. Turning the Demon Taskforce into NPCs is the most feasible option so far, since demon PCs would discover things too soon due to meta.

Note: It was created right now on the fly, don't hate on me.

Also, if any media has already used the same idea, poke me so I may frown and give up on it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:06:43 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: June 04, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

Just coming in to say demons scared of humans=lawl.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: June 04, 2012, 04:26:31 am »

That is about the idea of how they would act near demons.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:31 am »

I might as well post this since I have the time. It was originally ebbor's idea (really recent), I'm just working on it further. It's a godhood game with evolution mechanics, as intelligent AIs.

Deus ex Machina: Chariot of the Gods/Creation of Intelligence

Spoiler: Premise (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Energy and Influence (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Resource Guidelines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Game Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Evolution Mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Topography (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Miscellaneous (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: AI Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example Species Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:46:26 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:19 am »

The explanation is a bit strange, why not just say that the order was to terraform and populate the planet. Due to an unknown accident, the genetic template off these beings was wiped, so you have to make your own sentients.

I don't know wherether I like the to much energy shuts you down act. Maybe you should change that to using to much energy a turn. This will still allow players to create stockpiles of energy to survive shortages, but prevent them from making to much stuff in one turn.

As for AI deactivation, I don't know. It prevents players for really oposing each other, for if one comes to stand alone he gets instakilled immediatly. This would seriously discourage any kind of aggresive action, rendering the game less interesting. Maybe it should instead result in energy penalties, eventually resulting in  AI core shutdown.

Also In, if I can do such a thing.

Note: It would be nice if players could decide what their subroutine did before the crash. For example a weather control routine would get bonusses to that, and others. Kinda the equivalent of spheres in godhood games.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:07:12 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: June 04, 2012, 01:51:56 pm »

Note: Another Idea, which I plan to run sometime into the future. Just posting it here so to allow faults and such to be worked out.

Cogmind RTD

Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Modular construction (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Explication of stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AI Cores (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engines (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Propulsion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Utilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Prototypes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Overheating rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Corruption rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Targetting rules (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:38:24 pm by 10ebbor10 »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: June 04, 2012, 10:22:44 pm »

I'm going to need some advice here. For the RTD I'm planning, I'm using a map. The problem I'm having is choosing a map size.

Its either around this size
Spoiler: Huge (click to show/hide)
or this
Spoiler: Medium (click to show/hide)

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: June 04, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »

Uh... what's the context?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:06 pm »

Its being used to record terraforming activity, population levels, and political borders. As for the players, they're satellites masquerading as gods at times.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:21 pm »

I'd say the medium size, just to keep from having it turn into a GM nightmare. Frankly, it already looks like a bit of a maintenence drudge, but I presume you know what you're getting into.

That said, the game itself looks really interesting- in particular, it'd be cool to see a list of the various traits you're thinking of. Some more "nuts and bolts" type stuff would be cool to see as well; by which I mean, actual numbers and whatnot for the mechanics rather than a description.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:24 pm »

That's what I thought, but then I thought it would limit player creativity...which is why I'm asking for advice. Probably using the medium sized one.

Working on those, specifically on terrain effects right now. As for traits, well I'm winging those; players will be free to evolve species as they like, within reason, of course.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:45:24 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: June 04, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »

It is a tough line to follow. I'd say at the least, you'd want guidelines for Energy/Influence depletion. Off the top of my head, you could have a given energy cost associated with an effect (e.g 100 Energy to add a trait via Intelligent Design,) which could be modified based on Player Rolls (e.g on a 5, you perform the action extremely efficiently and only use 50 Energy.) If you don't have a baseline to work off of, then you may as well just dump the energy/influence requirements in favor of something else since you'll be arbitrating it case-by-case anyway.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: June 04, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »

Fair point. Let me just finish with the terrain and I'll start on that. Well actually, that's a lie. I'll start after I finish playing Endless Space.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4559 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:18 am »

Alright! So, ever since I started Endless RTD I've been developing a certain standardized wound system. Here it is in its current state:
Spoiler: GWSWS 1.2 (click to show/hide)
It's meant to be simple and flexible, adaptable to literally any setting and character (as long as they have some sort of metric to measure their vitals, i.e. blood). It's mostly formed out of trial and error, but it seems to have worked pretty well for me so far.

So I'm here to ask... what do you guys think? How can it be improved? Is it clear and unambiguous enough? Balanced? There are plenty of things that I don't think it quite covers well enough yet, like:
  • Drowning damage and suffocation. The system measures HP in remaining blood and tracks blunt damage and burns, but what about oxygen deprivation or similar afflictions?
  • Blunt damage. It seems to have the same problem DF currently does in this regard, in that the only way to kill a creature is to drain its hitpoints. Only bleeding damage does this. Maybe a "pulping" mechanic that removes HP directly or something like that could work.
  • I was never quite satisfied with the random healing rolls. I don't like it when RPGs apply random rolls to things like healing, and I mostly keep it out of habit. Would removing the random element from healing rates make things too predictable?
  • Anything else you think is missing? Maybe special rules for environmental effects (how fast exactly does wading through lava lower your health?) disease rules, or something completely different I haven't thought of.
I think it's turned out to be a pretty good system so far, but it has a lot more potential. Any feedback on any part of it helps.

Also, updates for Endless and Hero Caddies soon. I'm back!

Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 661