Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 727042 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3240 on: January 06, 2012, 04:58:11 pm »

[6] Derm has set fire to the wagon. Dysentery wails in pain.

Right.

I've reached the point where my idea is less of an RTD and more of a forum roleplaying game/story that has random elements.

Basically, I want to write a story from a first person point of view and...

Wait, remembered a similar thing. I want to run it like a mspa forum adventure, with concepts similar to a single player RTD. Not entirely sure how I would do that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:01:53 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3241 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:15 pm »

I can see it now... each turn ends with a disease roll for every player, and we could have a high score table for teams that got the closest to Oregon. This gets better the more I think about it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 06, 2012, 06:03:51 pm »

Er,  it does actually, yes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 06, 2012, 06:10:28 pm »

That... Sounds amazing. Truly. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 06, 2012, 06:17:46 pm »

I can see it now... each turn ends with a disease roll for every player, and we could have a high score table for teams that got the closest to Oregon. This gets better the more I think about it.
I want in. The game was awesome, the RTD can only be better.
"[1] You guide the wagons into an indian raid, and lost 100 pounds of meat. Also Taricus has contracted Dysentery. Again."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3245 on: January 06, 2012, 06:52:11 pm »

The problem, though, is that most things in Oregon Trail are done by the wagon leader. Only one of the players can be controlling the wagon, and everyone else might not have much to do. Also, the time scale might be hard to deal with. If a single turn consists of the wagon traveling 300 miles over the course of five days, what would the players' actions have to look like? How much movement would have to be abstracted away?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:12 pm »

Why not add a second dice roll to quantify distance traveled, as well as wagon status. (As in: 1, you go nowhere. your wagon broke, and is irreparable, up to 6: you got really far, but now the beasts are exhausted, and can't travel as far next turn. Or similar)
As to the problem of multiple people leading wagon trains, either have separate wagon trains, or simply allow everyone to dictate their actions for the timespan of the turn, but reduce the effectiveness of each person's turn to keep the balance, while assuming everyone travels at the same pace as the wagons (which aren't exactly fast)
Depending on how long it takes to travel (I'm not looking those numbers up), you could quantify turns into, at the bare minimum, 1 day per turn. I remember the original game going by week, but I may be wrong.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3247 on: January 06, 2012, 07:39:29 pm »

Perhaps players could give general actions during travel, and time would slow down to normal whenever they encounter something (hunting, random events, forts, landmarks)?

But I still have doubts that all players would be able to participate. If the wagon leader decides to stop and hunt, for example, what do the rest of the players do in the meantime? If this is to work, I think it will need to have a different format than the default "all players post an action, GM resolves them, repeat" like every other RTD. Perhaps something similar to Roll to Strike the Earth?

EDIT: Also, having one wagon per player could be a good idea, though it sort of undermines the concept of the game a bit.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:42:39 pm by Gatleos »
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »

Well the other way would literally be to make the wagon travel as a separate "character" turn, rather then just rolling an extra dice for each player. As an example, if there are five players, once all actions are taken into account roll a 6th turn simply for traveling.
The players actions would be taken into account as "happening when the wagons are not currently moving." Which does make sense. The wagons would have to stop every night, and occasionally during the day.
And because the wagons are moving, this would explain why the players actions occur over the span of however long the turn is, rather then just being instant, as long as you keep it absurdly simplified.
Special events (not hunting, but landmarks, random group events like ambushes, forts,) would make sense to play out the entire thing, since the wagons aren't currently moving around anyway, so no need to keep it broad.
I never saw the Roll to Strike the Earth.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3249 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:57 pm »

So each turn would take approximately a week, and cover random events and players' actions.

First the players' actions are rolled for, and resolved with the assumption that they are doing these things when the wagon is stopped (usually at night). Then the wagon's progress and status is rolled for, which accounts for distance traveled and wagon part breakage. Finally, rolls are made to determine contraction of diseases and other random events.

If a random event is encountered, wagon movement stops and the wagon leader chooses whether to stop or keep going. Some random events are mandatory, like stampedes, bandits and Native American Injun attacks. Then all players make rolls for actions on a normal time scale until the party exits the event. Then, normal wagon movement resumes.

To make things more interesting, we could add a skill system (similar to Oregon Trail II) that would allow every party member to choose one skill. They could be things like butchery (higher meat yield), medicine (better healthcare), or carpentry (able to fix wagon parts).
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 06, 2012, 08:42:18 pm »

Well, I hadn't figured on rolls for random events, but that would add more versatility.
So it would be
Player 1 through x (roll): result
Wagons (Roll): Result, distance traveled/to go listed, special locations reached, any wagon issues.

Status Roll: Checks for any special event, as randomly determined.
If special encounter, next turn is normal turn-by-turn action, and continues until event is resolved.

If you're giving skills then also give each player a small amount of cash to spend on items pre-game, as with OT II. Things like food or medicine to make it easier to survive, spare wagon parts or animals would make it easier to keep the wagons in good condition. weapons and bullets would increase combat effectiveness and make hunting more reliable, etc etc etc.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3251 on: January 06, 2012, 09:23:27 pm »

Yeah, I figured I could make tables for random events and diseases. The tables could change based on the situation (frostbite and pneumonia are more likely in winter, sunburn and heat stroke more likely if the wagon is gone). There would also be fixed events, like landmarks and forts on the trail.

I was thinking that the embark screen (heh) would be a democracy. There's one pool of money, and everyone decides what to spend it on. Or that could just be up to the wagon leader, either way works.

I still can't decide how to handle rivers, though. Would they be an event? It only takes a decision by the wagon leader to cross it, so I don't know what the other party members would be doing in that time.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 06, 2012, 09:32:20 pm »

That makes more sense, and would make things interesting.

I think rivers would fall under a wagon random event, except for the big "landmark" rivers like the Mississippi.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 06, 2012, 09:37:08 pm »

Democracy.

In an RTD.

Posting to watch.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3254 on: January 06, 2012, 09:42:02 pm »

Hypothetical situation:
I roll for random events, and get "traders approach the wagon". The wagon leader chooses to stop and trade with them. What should everyone else do? There's nothing for them to do, other than sit there and wait for trading to be done. In a usual RPG, you have a party of adventurers. Each one has a specific set of skills that can be used in a wide variety of situations. This works, because there is always something for everybody to do. But in situations like this one, most of the players don't get to participate.

Another problem I just thought of: originally, I planned to designate one player as the wagon leader. This player would make decisions, such as whether to stop at a landmark, how to cross a river, etc. But I realized that sometimes the type of actions that players could make would depend on these decisions. So, effectively the whole game has to halt until one player makes a decision, then everyone posts their actions. That... sucks.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 661