Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 726974 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #3255 on: January 06, 2012, 09:45:38 pm »

Some games were never meant to be RTD'd.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 06, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

Make it so that the expedition leader has only so many potential decisions per situation. For instance, three. Then a player could suggest an action for each of those three possibilities.

So if they get to a flooded river, you give the leader the options to a) cross the river, b) follow the river until they find a bridge, or c) wait until the flood goes back. Then a player can suggest to a) Put on their waterproof boots, b) stay on the wagon or whatever, or c) to get out their sleeping mats.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »

So... what, then, is the problem with the

have separate wagon trains

idea? It gets rid of pretty much every problem a single wagon train RTD would have. Each player is a wagon leader and they get to decide these things. You would also create other, interesting situations, such as players trading between trains and such... or trying to sabotage each other by hiring away personnel....
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 06, 2012, 09:57:13 pm »

NPC the wagon leader slot and let the party chip in suggestions, democracy style?
Removes the problem completely by putting the actual power for that situation back in the hands of chance, and giving the players the chance to sway fate with their own efforts. Just like normal, really.

EDIT: Oh, gods. Did I really just suggest giving the vote to some of the most power-mad, greedy, selfish, self-centered individuals? What have I done?!

EDIT Part 2: ... Wait, that's just like our government. Never mind.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3259 on: January 06, 2012, 10:02:30 pm »

Now that I think of it, the separate wagon train idea is perfect. Each player could choose their surname (team name) and the names of all the wagon members. It would be a race to the finish, with the game ending when someone reaches Oregon City or there is only one wagon left. When wagons meet each other on the trail, it would be counted as an event for both.

Should players be able to suggest multiple actions? They do have multiple people on the wagon, after all. Maybe it should all be determined by a single roll regardless. Giving a separate skill to every wagon member might be too much, so maybe it should be limited to one.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:05 pm »

Of course you guys have to do it the easy way :V

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

I think we're missing a fundamental flaw here.

What the hell actions do you even make? As far as I can tell it will be just a repeat of fix wagon, find food, treat disease, ford river, turn left, and trade.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 06, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »

But what if you happen to become ill just as the cart breaks down while on a left turning river?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3263 on: January 06, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »

Mix in some more ridiculous and creative elements and you've got gold.
^^^
This is an RTD, not an edutainment game. There will be many, many random events. At any given time, one player could be on the run from a tribe of Indians, while another has a shopkeeper from Fort Laramie tied up in the back of their wagon after a hilarious series of misunderstandings. I could even throw in secondary goals with prizes, to keep things interesting. If nothing else, amusing things will occur when players' wagons meet on the trail.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »

Wagons and War Paint: Race to Oregon!

Word of warning, as long as Strike the Earth has been brought up- you'll need a LOT of random events if they're going to be the driving force of the action. Short-term goals would be a good thing too- does the player spend a turn hunting a thief (and cashing in on the reward,) or do they press onward to get a jump on the other players? I could see a system where there's the "straight" way, and the "scenic route." The scenic route has the best loot and fringe benefits, but slows you down a lot. Just taking the straight route will likely result in death, however, as those players will be comparatively under-equipped.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:46 pm »

It's like the opposite of practically any RPG ever, where the major villain sits around and patiently waits for the hero to go complete every single sidequest!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 06, 2012, 11:05:48 pm »

It is an interesting decision-making process. Instead of "do I have the resources to survive this side excursion" the question is "do I have the resources to survive the next leg of the journey?" It's like preemptively deciding you need to do some grinding to survive the next bit.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #3267 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:01 pm »

That all depends on how the map works out, though. If we go with the original one (i.e. the real trail), there are a few branching paths but they're all essentially equal. I suppose I could make my own map, but that sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »

I'll go with the Bacterium Family!
-Dysentery
-Cholera
-Diphtheria
-Measles
-Typhoid Fever

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 06, 2012, 11:21:10 pm »

I know I've got a version of the Oregon Trail kicking around somewhere that had a whole mess of other sidetrails- you could set a variety of alternate endpoints (I distinctly remember Utah) and there were multiple branches that had a significant impact on how the trail played out. I wonder where it is...
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 661